Which side to break from?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
THATS THE ONE. Thanks a lot. As you can see it's a fairly easy shot for a R.H. player into the R.H.pocket.(break the stack or spin behind it) Very difficult for a R.H.player into the left hand pocket, also not an easy shot with a crutch.
i guess i have to go to a table to set this up but if i understand correctly you are sayng if the cue ball was at A and you are shooting into the upper right hand corner looking from the head rail( i assume the 5 is not blocking) is more difficult than the shot diagrammed shooting the 10 into the upper LEFT pocket looking from the head rail. yes?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
i guess i have to go to a table to set this up but if i understand correctly you are sayng if the cue ball was at A and you are shooting into the upper right hand corner looking from the head rail( i assume the 5 is not blocking) is more difficult than the shot diagrammed shooting the 10 into the upper LEFT pocket looking from the head rail. yes?

NO! The shot from A is much easier for a R.H. player, who should break for the right pocket.IMHO
PS; the closer the CB gets to the OB the more it favors the right corner pocket. The CB closer to the OB gets more difficult for the R.H. player with the left corner.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
THATS THE ONE. Thanks a lot. As you can see it's a fairly easy shot for a R.H. player into the R.H.pocket.(break the stack or spin behind it) Very difficult for a R.H.player into the left hand pocket, also not an easy shot with a crutch.

Well Rod,
With Dennis' help (I don't do WEI table either) I have finally figured out that you and I (and Fat's) are in agreement about which side to break from.
I'm still confused about Artie's position. A few posts back you agreed with him, but I thought he was touting breaking from the right side (as you face the rack) I think I may need an aspirin before this is over. :rolleyes:

Dick

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Headache?

Headache?

SJDinPHX said:
Well Rod,
With Dennis' help (I don't do WEI table either) I have finally figured out that you and I (and Fat's) are in agreement about which side to break from.
I'm still confused about Artie's position. A few posts back you agreed with him, but I thought he was touting breaking from the right side (as you face the rack) I think I may need an aspirin before this is over. :rolleyes:

Dick

Dick,

Take two Yukon Jacks and call us in the morning. By the way, " always dressed to about the "twos" was funnier than everything I wrote. Also, I understood Artie to say that he liked to shoot from right to left. As if cutting a ball down the long rail, as in my original diagram. I think he meant as he was looking at the diagram in the post, which would mean that he took the right hand pocket also. I could be wrong but that's how I saw his post.

Last edited:

bernie p

Verified Member
Thanks all for the thorough responses.

It's probably getting late, or more like I am getting old, but it seems that there are opposing opinions here, of what is considered the "more correct" side to break from.

From what I've read here it appears that the majority of players prefer to break from the left to the right if you are right handed and vice versa. I suspect that Grady's idea that it all comes out even in the wash is probably correct.

As a related bit of useless information....the legendary snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan plays equally well with both his left and right hand (on a 12' table, that is:eek:)

For those that are not familiar with Ronnie.. he is arguably the most naturally gifted (and quickest) cueist to ever wield a cue. He is also a very temperamental rebel.

When he is in one of his "occasional" awnry moods he has been known to intentionally play alternating right hand and then left hand shots even though the table layout does not require it....just because he can.:cool:

As if I did'nt have a hundred other things that I need to learn in one pocket:(

Again guys, thanks for the responses.

Bernie.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
bernie p said:
Thanks all for the thorough responses.

It's probably getting late, or more like I am getting old, but it seems that there are opposing opinions here, of what is considered the "more correct" side to break from.

From what I've read here it appears that the majority of players prefer to break from the left to the right if you are right handed and vice versa. I suspect that Grady's idea that it all comes out even in the wash is probably correct.

As a related bit of useless information....the legendary snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan plays equally well with both his left and right hand (on a 12' table, that is:eek:)

For those that are not familiar with Ronnie.. he is arguably the most naturally gifted (and quickest) cueist to ever wield a cue. He is also a very temperamental rebel.

When he is in one of his "occasional" awnry moods he has been known to intentionally play alternating right hand and then left hand shots even though the table layout does not require it....just because he can.:cool:

As if I did'nt have a hundred other things that I need to learn in one pocket:(

Again guys, thanks for the responses.

Bernie.
I Remember when Willie Mosconie would breack the balls in straight pool he would breack from the right side and leave his oponent in the left hand corner on the rail. And in the movie the hustler I think the did the same thing. IT could have been that he felt more comftrable shooting it that way. Because I dint think thier is a edge either way. Its just a matter of choice or what you get use too.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I Remember when Willie Mosconie would breack the balls in straight pool he would breack from the right side and leave his oponent in the left hand corner on the rail. And in the movie the hustler I think the did the same thing. IT could have been that he felt more comftrable shooting it that way. Because I dint think thier is a edge either way. Its just a matter of choice or what you get use too.
Im not sure but I think Efren Breacks from the right to the left the way I breack and Scott is left handed and I think he breacks the opposit way because he is left handed. Im not sure but some one can check it.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
fwiw

fwiw

I have a few things that dictate which side.

1 - My break is a little better right to left
2 - I can play lefty about 1-2 balls weaker than righty - I practice left vs right, Right spots first two balls made. Lefty's been winning...Hes smarter!!
3 - Opponent. Given thing 1 and thing 2 I feel like I have very little disadvantage by simply having one hole or another. If Im playing an overweight lefty, the choice is obvious...Otherwise, I dont care.

Just one more reason I need 10-6

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Im not sure but I think Efren Breacks from the right to the left the way I breack and Scott is left handed and I think he breacks the opposit way because he is left handed. Im not sure but some one can check it.

I guess I was wrong again. I suppose the ultimate edge would be for a right-handed player to break to the right pocket. And be lucky enough to be playing a right-handed player who breaks to the left pocket. I remember years ago having this discussion in a poolroom. A lot of pros and cons came up. And some cons came in. I did learn quite a bit about why you should do what. But I forgot it all. This thread is bringing it back. This game is trickier than it looks. Being comfortable opposite handed, but not the same speed, negates a lot of these problems. Still, it's something to think about.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
newfosgatesucks said:
I have a few things that dictate which side.

1 - My break is a little better right to left
2 - I can play lefty about 1-2 balls weaker than righty - I practice left vs right, Right spots first two balls made. Lefty's been winning...Hes smarter!!
3 - Opponent. Given thing 1 and thing 2 I feel like I have very little disadvantage by simply having one hole or another. If Im playing an overweight lefty, the choice is obvious...Otherwise, I dont care.

Just one more reason I need 10-6

If your playing an overweight lefty, you break left to right, correct?
Rod.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
The wight has nothing to do with the breack. Unless its a mental midget.

Start answering the posts of the people who make the statments. I only asked him a question.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Start answering the posts of the people who make the statments. I only asked him a question.
YOU NEED TO SEND HIM A PRIVATE MESSAGE NOT ON A POST WERE EVERYONE HAS BEEN RESPONDING TOO.

backplaying

Verified Member
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that all right handers are better using outside english.If your right handed wouldn't you have more shots that would need right english with the right corner pocket?Also most right handers will make a long shot to the right side easier than they would shooting at the left pocket? With this said I have found like Artie mentioned, I'm just not comfortable or as accurate breaking from the left even though I'm right handed. Also for me short cross banks are easier for me shooting at the left pocket "right english easier if needed" just as long rail banks are harder for me shooting at the left pocket.I think most right handers learned how to use right hand english first is one reason they are better using outside. I see many things that tell me the right pocket for me is the right corner one,but until I can break as well from the left as I can from the right,I'll just have to stick with what feels right for me and thats breaking from the right side to the left corner.I appreciate players that give out information that can still play as it just didn't happen back when I played. It reminds me of the only politians that ever tell the truth about whats really going on is when they retire!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
backplaying said:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that all right handers are better using outside english.If your right handed wouldn't you have more shots that would need right english with the right corner pocket?Also most right handers will make a long shot to the right side easier than they would shooting at the left pocket? With this said I have found like Artie mentioned, I'm just not comfortable or as accurate breaking from the left even though I'm right handed. Also for me short cross banks are easier for me shooting at the left pocket "right english easier if needed" just as long rail banks are harder for me shooting at the left pocket.I think most right handers learned how to use right hand english first is one reason they are better using outside. I see many things that tell me the right pocket for me is the right corner one,but until I can break as well from the left as I can from the right,I'll just have to stick with what feels right for me and thats breaking from the right side to the left corner.I appreciate players that give out information that can still play as it just didn't happen back when I played. It reminds me of the only politians that ever tell the truth about whats really going on is when they retire!

In the end, all that really matters is that you do what you are comfortable with. Remember, the balls don't know what handed you are and they do not care either.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
backplaying said:
You are very correct by saying players are better shooting with right English then left english and more people shoot shots with right english then left english. Shooting shots with right english is a big favorite over shooting shots with left english

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
backplaying said:
the first part of your post you say certain shots are easier for you in the RGIGHT corner pocket,which means you would have to break fron the LEFT side. then you give examples of shooting certain shots into the LEFT corner pocket. so if your break was equal ther would be no advantage to breaking from either side. using your assumption that its easier to put right hand english on the cue ball wouldnt breaking from the LEFT be better? i never though outside or inside english was left or right. depeneding on the shot right hand english could be inside or outside and vice versa for left hand english

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
the first part of your post you say certain shots are easier for you in the RGIGHT corner pocket,which means you would have to break fron the LEFT side. then you give examples of shooting certain shots into the LEFT corner pocket. so if your break was equal ther would be no advantage to breaking from either side. using your assumption that its easier to put right hand english on the cue ball wouldnt breaking from the LEFT be better? i never though outside or inside english was left or right. depeneding on the shot right hand english could be inside or outside and vice versa for left hand english

lll,
What a slippery slope we're on here. I agree with you RH or LH can be either inside or outside english.
I think BP and Artie are getting into the dominant eye thing.
I am right eye dominant as are most right handers, but did you know most L.H. player's are also right eye dominant.
In sports as a kid, I batted L.H., Shot most shots in hockey L.H., but play golf R.H., go figure.
I think most players are more comfortable imparting dominant eye english, i.e R.H. for a R.H. player. The better players can execute either shot with equal ease.
Note; this is not a scientific study. It it is just my own observations over the years. I'm assuming we all know the simple test that will easily determine which is your dominant eye.
Hope this answers all your quistons !

Dick <--- Retired Obstetritian (eye doctor)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
lll,
What a slippery slope we're on here. I agree with you RH or LH can be either inside or outside english.
I think BP and Artie are getting into the dominant eye thing.
I am right eye dominant as are most right handers, but did you know most L.H. player's are also right eye dominant.
In sports as a kid, I batted L.H., Shot most shots in hockey L.H., but play golf R.H., go figure.
I think most players are more comfortable imparting dominant eye english, i.e R.H. for a R.H. player. The better players can execute either shot with equal ease.
Note; this is not a scientific study. It it is just my own observations over the years. I'm assuming we all know the simple test that will easily determine which is your dominant eye.
Hope this answers all your quistons !

Dick <--- Retired Obstetritian (eye doctor)
I use both eyes and my left I is a lot stronger then my right eye. But using both eyes is better to focus on then one eye unless you only have one eye. But I am saying that people use outside english better then inside english. because the like englishing the balls in.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Righty V.S. Lefty

Righty V.S. Lefty

androd said:
If your playing an overweight lefty, you break left to right, correct?
Rod.

Now I know I'm losing my mind. You guys all got me overthinking this now. Today I played a left-handed player and I'm right-handed.

If I break to the right pocket, he always has the left pocket, on my break anyway. No advantage for either one of us. But I'm a little over 6'1" tall and he's closer to 5'4" or so.

So I figured it would be to my advantage to break to the left hole and make him have the right hole, at least on my break. He did run into more problems than I did and had to use the bridge a couple of times in the two sets that we played.

But he also shoots decent opposite handed and got out of some jams because of that. All in all, it was probably a wash because he shoots opposite handed also, but if he didn't, it would be my clear advantage because of his height.

I'm thinking too much. I'll get a headache now.