Bored to death

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Stuck in the house recovering, the forum has become very dull to me since the San Man has ceased his childish pecking at me. God forgive me, I even miss criticizing his alcohol induced "bon mots." Whatta ya feel sorry for me? I may feel drug-med-addled, but I aint dead. I feel like Sherlock Holmes when his arch-enemy, Moriarity was killed going over the falls.

the Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if for nothing else but for something to do why dont you dive in and tell us what you would shoot ? and why???????????

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
fred bentivegna said:
Stuck in the house recovering, the forum has become very dull to me since the San Man has ceased his childish pecking at me. God forgive me, I even miss criticizing his alcohol induced "bon mots." Whatta ya feel sorry for me? I may feel drug-med-addled, but I aint dead. I feel like Sherlock Holmes when his arch-enemy, Moriarity was killed going over the falls.

the Beard

i'm board too, i'm in LA and driving to the pool hall is a pain in the ass, by the time I get there I'm too tired to play. It takes me 30-45 minutes to get there and as sensitive as my back is, i'm a done deal when i get there. In Vegas with a table at home I can lay flat until I play and I'm ok, sitting just ruins me, I cant sit at a desk for more than 30 mins before I have to lay down, I'm ok when I play because moving around getting up and down etc is fine. Sucks to be a cripple.

I might put a box in my house in LA, its gonna be cramped but it will fit.

The moral of the story is: dont get old and buy a big enough house. ;) , if it was just that easy...:)

happy summer to everyone,

eric

PS: Lou anyone could beat me now, i cant make a ball,

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
lll said:
if for nothing else but for something to do why dont you dive in and tell us what you would shoot ? and why???????????

perhaps Mr.Beard dosent want to tell us who he wants to shoot, as it would be a self incriminating move on his part, although I believe he could hod his own in the joint.:eek: ;)

i will leave it at that

------------------------------------

Just kiddin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Fatboy said:
i'm board too, i'm in LA and driving to the pool hall is a pain in the ass, by the time I get there I'm too tired to play. It takes me 30-45 minutes to get there and as sensitive as my back is, i'm a done deal when i get there. In Vegas with a table at home I can lay flat until I play and I'm ok, sitting just ruins me, I cant sit at a desk for more than 30 mins before I have to lay down, I'm ok when I play because moving around getting up and down etc is fine. Sucks to be a cripple.

I might put a box in my house in LA, its gonna be cramped but it will fit.

The moral of the story is: dont get old and buy a big enough house. ;) , if it was just that easy...:)

happy summer to everyone,

eric

PS: Lou anyone could beat me now, i cant make a ball,

I can see it now, "TAR Presents" In this corner..."A big sissy playing with a sore knee"(however a former pro)!..."And in this corner, a guy with steel rods, and a broken back. ( a lifetime admitted "C" player, who even needs weight from Jay Helfert)

Looks like "pick'em to me Eric. ;)

Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
SJDinPHX said:
I can see it now, "TAR Presents" In this corner..."A big sissy playing with a sore knee"(however a former pro)!..."And in this corner, a guy with steel rods, and a broken back. ( a lifetime admitted "C" player, who even needs weight from Jay Helfert)

Looks like "pick'em to me Eric. ;)

LOL, I love it C player, I got a promotion, thanks buddy!!!!

my very best,

eric

PS: I might be a C player but i'm smart enough to get out of the heat of Vegas. I know the temp in PHX is higher or the same but it feels worse in Vegas(I have spent alot of time in PHX to know the difference) PHX is much nicer than Vegas in many ways, infact in just about everyway. Are the pool rooms there 24/7 I cant remember, seems like when I was going there back in 90-92 they were, I made more $$$ there than anywhere. The 7,8,9's have my respect and I have their $$$:D , well some of the 9's, I got beat too. the 10's robbed me.

I have seen some streaming and the 8's and 9's look weaker now than back then, I dont know if thats a fact or I have a bad memory. I know the rating system in Ca the numbers swelled up over the years, like the USPPA for example did for sure. not a big deal, but over time things do change, PHX has a great pool culture. In LA there are 21,000,000 people and 5 pool rooms with the same faces I saw here 20 years ago, and no new ones to speak of, pool is dead in LA, shame.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

Freddy,

I think that in your drug-addled state you may have missed SJD's slings and arrows shot your way. If you read his posts from tuesday you will see that he mentions the WOP this and the WOP that. He even pretends there is such a thing as a WOP book. Yeah right.

I knew for certain when I read these slurs that he was trying to instigate and agitate the Italian-Americans on this site. Don't let him get away with it Freddy.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am not normal, normally

I am not normal, normally

Cowboy Dennis said:
Freddy,

I think that in your drug-addled state you may have missed SJD's slings and arrows shot your way. If you read his posts from tuesday you will see that he mentions the WOP this and the WOP that. He even pretends there is such a thing as a WOP book. Yeah right.

I knew for certain when I read these slurs that he was trying to instigate and agitate the Italian-Americans on this site. Don't let him get away with it Freddy.

Dennis

I will try and address several posts at once. The WOP thing, which means Without Passport, is an East Coast creation. I come from a very large Italian neighborhood, Chicago's Bridgeport, and I never heard the word until I read, From Here to Eternity. Here's another East Coast creation, many guys in my hood were named Vince. None of them were ever called Vinny, that's a New York nickname. One more unrelated tid bit, I never heard anyone from Chicago refer to the city as, Chi. Bridgeport, where Mayor Daley was born is also about half Irish, so the Mick/Dago battles are old hat to me. The early wars were usually solved by intermarrying. But we still basically, hate each other.

Next, why I dont usually participate in the Wei diagrams: The truth is, I have a bit of Attention Deficit Disorder, along with a goodly case of sociopathy. I dont concentrate well on diagrams, and have much difficulty with written instructions. I get a brain cramp trying to associate the explanations with the diagrams. Sorry, but thats just me. Personally, I think its a great way to explore the One pocket game, I just cant participate the way I would like to.

Finally, like I mentioned earlier, I cant take much more of this apparent truce with the "San" man. I am jealous that he has now taken up with the Ghost. I know that that's easier action, but still. I even noticed that he mentioned me as one of his favorite color guys on Accu-stats on the AZ forum. Of course I deserved it, but where has this "fair and balanced" bent come from so suddenly? It's causing me to get so weak that I may even support him in this year's HOF voting. I dont like most of the other candidates anyway so it wont be too much of a stretch.

the Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
^^^^^where has this "fair and balanced" bent come from so suddenly? freddy maybe he's getting older (for sure) and wiser?:rolleyes:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
I will try and address several posts at once. The WOP thing, which means Without Passport, is an East Coast creation. I come from a very large Italian neighborhood, Chicago's Bridgeport, and I never heard the word until I read, From Here to Eternity. Here's another East Coast creation, many guys in my hood were named Vince. None of them were ever called Vinny, that's a New York nickname. One more unrelated tid bit, I never heard anyone from Chicago refer to the city as, Chi. Bridgeport, where Mayor Daley was born is also about half Irish, so the Mick/Dago battles are old hat to me. The early wars were usually solved by intermarrying. But we still basically, hate each other.

Next, why I dont usually participate in the Wei diagrams: The truth is, I have a bit of Attention Deficit Disorder, along with a goodly case of sociopathy. I dont concentrate well on diagrams, and have much difficulty with written instructions. I get a brain cramp trying to associate the explanations with the diagrams. Sorry, but thats just me. Personally, I think its a great way to explore the One pocket game, I just cant participate the way I would like to.

Finally, like I mentioned earlier, I cant take much more of this apparent truce with the "San" man. I am jealous that he has now taken up with the Ghost. I know that that's easier action, but still. I even noticed that he mentioned me as one of his favorite color guys on Accu-stats on the AZ forum. Of course I deserved it, but where has this "fair and balanced" bent come from so suddenly? It's causing me to get so weak that I may even support him in this year's HOF voting. I dont like most of the other candidates anyway so it wont be too much of a stretch.

the Beard

Close Fred, but you get a bye due to your youth. (and ADD)

The term WOP actually meant "With Out Papers"... not "without passport"
There was actually no such thing as a passport until long after most of our predecessors had stumbled ashore at Ellis Island.
All that was common then were church records and crude birth certificates.

Unlike the Irish, most of the Italians destroyed their papers, even if they had any, because most of their families had been at war with (and ice-picking) each other in the old country since like, forever. The Eye-talians did not want the feuds to continue over here. Hence they were the more common group to be W.O.P.

The Irish fought too, (usually over religion) but they fought with their fists, (no ice-picks or knives) and then they would get drunk and forget what they were fighting about.

The Mick/Dago battle lines were clearly drawn in NY very early on, and the poor Pollocks, Buffaloes, Krauts, (also refered to as "slate-heads") and various other ethnic groups, were often caught in the crossfire when they began arriving en masse. The "scaredy-cats" abandoned NY...ASAP. Thats how Hamtramck and Bridgeport came to be..;)

WOP became a generic term used to piss off anybody who wasn't here first. It took a while to filter west to Detroit and Chicago, but it sure got there eventually.

That concludes our history lesson for today. ADD-led brains will not have to pass any tests on this subject.

San

PS Oh, and Fred, I would advise against ANY participation in WEI table activity, if you do...you will find out what PAIN really is.
The inmates run the asylum in that group..:eek:

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

Fred,
"Bored"??????
I worked since I was 11 and from when I was 21 until 48, I worked 2 jobs at the same time. For 10 of those years, I worked full time and had 2 part time jobs.

After my surgery April 8 of this year, I got a very good taste and foreshadow of how SWEET retirement is going to be. I still have 7 years, 5 months and 6 days left on my sentence, but by time I get cleared to go back (IF I ever do), there will be even less time than that till I get my lifetime parole.

And since April 8, I have not had litereally ONE SECOND where I was ever even .001% "bored". I can stay up on my normal body schedule watching Accu-Stats or ESPN until around 3:30-4:00am, sleep in till the 10:00 SportsCenter, check the obituaries and then read the paper, check out the goings on in pooldom here and at AZB, read books, read magazines, go to the bathroom with getting interrupted, like always happens at work, eat a meal without always getting interrupted like it happens at work, telephone my family or friends just to B.S., etc, etc. I never realized just how much working ruins your life until I ain't worked for several months.

THE Legend that is Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna is "Bored"???? You without any doubt at all are one of the greatest characters in pool. Guys like you, Grady and Billy are revered by so many. This is like hearing that Frank Sinatra was "bored" when he wasn't singing about his way! This is like hearing Seabisquit was "bored" when he wasn't running around in circles!
Gee-miny-crickets!

The answer to your "boredom" (makes me want to puke up the double-stuff Oreo's I just gulped down for breakfast) is to PLEASE and "PRETTY PLEASE" write another book! Have a few pages on the guys you battled it out with over the years, what you really thought of them, what they were like as people, their strengths & weaknesses as players and people. You put a book out that has stories and opinions like "The GosPool" did, I know it will sale just as good if not better. Working stiffs like me wasted so much time with time cards and we never got to experience or do or see and hear the things in pool rooms that you lifers did. Be a pal and write another book.

You know how much respect and admiration I have for you, and I'm just funning a little with the "bored" stuff. But I'm real serious in begging for another sequel in your book series. You're gifted as a writer and have a nutural sense of humor much like JohnnyT over at AZB. Use that mind of yours to pen more memories and stories that you lived and seen.

And while I'm begging for more reading material, SJD, I think you been around the pool world long enough, seen enough, done enough and have good writing skills that YOU should also consider penning a book with pool stories.

Think of it this way...Every time a name from the past comes up, guys chime in with memories and stories. Player related threads are so popular. That's why I think that we could use more books on the subject. Jay Helfert's book can be a template or model....lts of first hand stories simply put down on paper. Sure its "WORK", but once it's done, there has to be a huge sense of accomplishment.

IF there really was a Santa Claus, I would wish for biographical books on the great pool players and their lives. Oh how I wish Billy Incardona would get the bug and start writing his life story.

So Fred, there you have just one of your pals opinion on "How I spent my surgery vacation." Please consider writing some more.

Fanatic

Verified Member
Yeah Fred...what happened to your screen play/movie? Work on that!
XOXO

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Roxanne's Game, The Beard's movie script

Roxanne's Game, The Beard's movie script

Fanatic said:
Yeah Fred...what happened to your screen play/movie? Work on that!
XOXO

Fannie, my peach, my script has been finished for quite some time. It is available for perusing on my website which you have apparently not have had the good fortune to land on. I am waiting for a producer with some taste to take it on.

"Roxanne's Game"

http://scriptforroxannesgame.blogspot.com/

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Funny, you should mention that

Funny, you should mention that

Terry Ardeno said:
Fred,
"Bored"??????
I worked since I was 11 and from when I was 21 until 48, I worked 2 jobs at the same time. For 10 of those years, I worked full time and had 2 part time jobs.

After my surgery April 8 of this year, I got a very good taste and foreshadow of how SWEET retirement is going to be. I still have 7 years, 5 months and 6 days left on my sentence, but by time I get cleared to go back (IF I ever do), there will be even less time than that till I get my lifetime parole.

And since April 8, I have not had litereally ONE SECOND where I was ever even .001% "bored". I can stay up on my normal body schedule watching Accu-Stats or ESPN until around 3:30-4:00am, sleep in till the 10:00 SportsCenter, check the obituaries and then read the paper, check out the goings on in pooldom here and at AZB, read books, read magazines, go to the bathroom with getting interrupted, like always happens at work, eat a meal without always getting interrupted like it happens at work, telephone my family or friends just to B.S., etc, etc. I never realized just how much working ruins your life until I ain't worked for several months.

THE Legend that is Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna is "Bored"???? You without any doubt at all are one of the greatest characters in pool. Guys like you, Grady and Billy are revered by so many. This is like hearing that Frank Sinatra was "bored" when he wasn't singing about his way! This is like hearing Seabisquit was "bored" when he wasn't running around in circles!
Gee-miny-crickets!

The answer to your "boredom" (makes me want to puke up the double-stuff Oreo's I just gulped down for breakfast) is to PLEASE and "PRETTY PLEASE" write another book! Have a few pages on the guys you battled it out with over the years, what you really thought of them, what they were like as people, their strengths & weaknesses as players and people. You put a book out that has stories and opinions like "The GosPool" did, I know it will sale just as good if not better. Working stiffs like me wasted so much time with time cards and we never got to experience or do or see and hear the things in pool rooms that you lifers did. Be a pal and write another book.

You know how much respect and admiration I have for you, and I'm just funning a little with the "bored" stuff. But I'm real serious in begging for another sequel in your book series. You're gifted as a writer and have a nutural sense of humor much like JohnnyT over at AZB. Use that mind of yours to pen more memories and stories that you lived and seen.

And while I'm begging for more reading material, SJD, I think you been around the pool world long enough, seen enough, done enough and have good writing skills that YOU should also consider penning a book with pool stories.

Think of it this way...Every time a name from the past comes up, guys chime in with memories and stories. Player related threads are so popular. That's why I think that we could use more books on the subject. Jay Helfert's book can be a template or model....lts of first hand stories simply put down on paper. Sure its "WORK", but once it's done, there has to be a huge sense of accomplishment.

IF there really was a Santa Claus, I would wish for biographical books on the great pool players and their lives. Oh how I wish Billy Incardona would get the bug and start writing his life story.

So Fred, there you have just one of your pals opinion on "How I spent my surgery vacation." Please consider writing some more.

Terry, I have just put together 71 pages of notes and stories about the players of my era and my interactions with them. More than enough to write at least three books. A lot of it came from some of my posts on AZ and 1pkt.org. I have it all semi-organized, I just havent decided what to do with it. I kind of dont want to do it like Jay, autobiographical and following some sort of time table, from x to x. Autobiographical, I would have to get into my sex life and capades, like Grady did, but too many of the constituents are still alive, and I couldnt bear to have my relatives, kids and grandkids, read it -- while I'm still alive. Grady and I have always been very competitive, so if ventured into that area I would probably try to out-Kink him, and those who read his book, Bet High and Kiss Low, could only imagine how horrible that might all turn out. The Statute of Limitations has run out on most of my crimes, so that part is OK.
Seriously, I am seeking input into what kind of format I should follow in linking those observations and stories together. Any reasonable ideas would be welcome.

the Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Terry, I have just put together 71 pages of notes and stories about the players of my era and my interactions with them. More than enough to write at least three books. A lot of it came from some of my posts on AZ and 1pkt.org. I have it all semi-organized, I just havent decided what to do with it. I kind of dont want to do it like Jay, autobiographical and following some sort of time table, from x to x. Autobiographical, I would have to get into my sex life and capades, like Grady did, but too many of the constituents are still alive, and I couldnt bear to have my relatives, kids and grandkids, read it -- while I'm still alive. Grady and I have always been very competitive, so if ventured into that area I would probably try to out-Kink him, and those who read his book, Bet High and Kiss Low, could only imagine how horrible that might all turn out. The Statute of Limitations has run out on most of my crimes, so that part is OK.
Seriously, I am seeking input into what kind of format I should follow in linking those observations and stories together. Any reasonable ideas would be welcome.

the Beard

Brainstorm;...........Freddy, I could ride on your literary coat-tails and we could co-write a real classic.

You of course would be responsible for all; Research, Typing, Editing, Haggling with publisher's, Costs involved in getting it to print, etc.

Along with your own colorful life adventures... I would also suggest some additional "True Stories" !
I could be in charge of prying storie's out of RA, and phoning them in, along with a few of my own. There would be some heavy "bar tabs" involved in that part of the venture, which of course a $10-15K advance (from you) should get us started.

We could even (for color) fabricate a story, of how, as young gunslinger's...RA and I bankrupted the entire gambling crowd in Chicago.... by me robbing the legendary Beard, at bank pool, and RA robbing Artie ( one-handed, on a 5X10 of course) at one pocket.
(not really THAT far-fetched)

Sex-ploits should play a big part also. I, of course, would take on all necessary casting duties.
I envision; Shanelle Lorraine and Jessica Alba, for the coveted role's of RA and I's "pool groupies".
For you and Artie, I'm thinking,for realism,...Rosie O'Donnell and Joan Rivers. (as "head writer" you of course, would get your pick)

Obviously, Hollywood would be clamoring for the rights. If done right, It would make the "The Hustler" and "TCOM", look like "Pool Hall Junkie's"

When it makes the big screen, I envision a fair $$$$ split as....RA, 40%...SJD 40%...You and Artie the remaining 40%. Chop it up however you want with him Fred. (you get first count)

I don't think we can miss, do you ?

I've even thought of an excellent title.."The True Story of Yukon Jack" :eek:

(alternate title..."The Color of Mud" )

PS... Cardone could be technical advisor and bit player. (out of your end, of course)

Last edited:

Fanatic

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Fannie, my peach, my script has been finished for quite some time. It is available for perusing on my website which you have apparently not have had the good fortune to land on. I am waiting for a producer with some taste to take it on.

"Roxanne's Game"

http://scriptforroxannesgame.blogspot.com/

the Beard

Yes your right Freddy, I haven't blessed your sight yet...I shall repent and read the remainder of your script sometime tonight.

I was reading it as you were posting your scene completions here on 1pkt.org but I didn't realize it was complete till now. It was interesting and I'm curious about the story line however I have to admit MY life thus far gives Roxanne's life 11-7...but just to be fair I must see how it ends first before I can truly give the weight so I'll let you know:D If I feel that her life pales in comparison to mine than I'd be happy to allow you to pen my memoirs;)
XOXO
Fanny "Peaches"

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Fanatic said:
Yes your right Freddy, I haven't blessed your sight yet...I shall repent and read the remainder of your script sometime tonight.

I was reading it as you were posting your scene completions here on 1pkt.org but I didn't realize it was complete till now. It was interesting and I'm curious about the story line however I have to admit MY life thus far gives Roxanne's life 11-7...but just to be fair I must see how it ends first before I can truly give the weight so I'll let you know:D If I feel that her life pales in comparison to mine than I'd be happy to allow you to pen my memoirs;)
XOXO
Fanny "Peaches"

Peache's,

There may be some upcoming movie roles, for a major pool production, starring FB,AB,RA,and SJD.
We will be needing a girl who can beat (or at least be competitve) with some "older" Chicago ex-pool player's.
Are you interested in an audition for this part ? If so, RA and I will be interviewing hopeful's soon. (includes free airfare and expenses)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
first of all all i think rosie and joan need to "audition " with freddy and ab before they get the role. i would say the same for fanny alias "peaches" but her shot selection and commentary imho makes me say SHE should decide who should audition for her:eek: what do you think about that fanny?

Fanatic

Verified Member
lll said:
first of all all i think rosie and joan need to "audition " with freddy and ab before they get the role.* i would say the same for fanny alias "peaches"** but her shot selection and commentary* imho makes me say SHE should decide who should audition for her:eek:** what do you think about that fanny?

SJD and lll

I would love to co-star in the movie but If it can't be me than I would be honored to hold auditions ---how about Angelina Jolie as a mediocre replacement ;)
I hear she throws knives but can she hold a cue...... Hmmm
XOXO
Fanny "peaches"

Last edited: