Doc

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Can you send me the particulars on how you did your handicap One Pocket tournament? I think I'd like to do one. Thanks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Grady, here is the pertinent information copied from the last tournament poster. The names won't mean too much to you, but the levels will give you an idea of what we were doing.

My initial intention was to limit to 3 levels. But I had to add a professional level to discourage a touring pro from walking in to snap it off playing as an "A". To have a 6, 8, or 10 level ranking would almost require a weekly or monthly event with a cast of players who were pretty well known.

Despite the fact that poolplayers probably bitch more than any other class of human being :D , whining and arguments were practically non-existent. I think the boys up in New England used this system, and it worked out pretty well. ~Doc

AA (Professional) – Gives A 11-7, B 11-6, C 11-5. Examples: Daulton, Schmidt, N. Vita, J. Cone, Joyner, Richeson, Frost, Owen, Broxson, Hennessee

A (Top area player) – Gives B 9-7, C 10-6. Examples: Jamie Farrell, Eddie Brown, Lil John, Luc Dupierne, Lil Sal, Jason Evans, M. Black, H. McAbee, J. Brock

B (Local shortstop) – Gives C 8-6. Examples: Joey Aguzin, Jason Moran, Bobby H., Ryan Malley, George Shimmer, Jaybird, J. Gambino, James Cox, David Trest

C (Average) – Examples: Doc Tripp, Keith Shilling, Humphrey, S. Fountain, Scott Saucier, D. Walters, Mark Moore, Randy Whalen, Mike Trawick, G. Bru, Ocho

All handicapping will be done by committee. These are “best fit” handicaps. Some will be high or low within their level. Decisions of the Tournament Director are final. Deliberate misrepresentation of a player’s level will result in immediate disqualification of the player AND his cohort.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Thanks

Thanks

How much was the entry fee, how many days and what was the length of the matches? Thanks, Doc.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Grady said:
How much was the entry fee, how many days and what was the length of the matches? Thanks, Doc.
Grady-- Here is the other info from the poster. We played down to the final eight, which was completed by midnight Saturday. Then the final eight finished out Sunday. We only used 8-10 tables. I think your room has more available, so you could get through the early rounds quicker: ~Doc

MIKE SURBER MEMORIAL ONE-POCKET TOURNAMENT
(Handicapped Tournament)

Saturday/Sunday July 17th-18th, 2010
Calcutta at 11:00, Tournament at 12:00

Skeeter’s Billiards – 197 Teagarden Rd.
Gulfport, Miss., 39507 – (228) 897-1234

$2000 ADDED GUARANTEED

$125 Entry (includes $15 greens fee), Races to 3, D.E.
*Strictly limited to the first 32 paid*

Payouts: 1st=$1700, 2nd=$1165, 3rd=$800, 4th=$555, 5th/6th=$385, 7th/8th=$265. (25% of the field) Calcutta pays 6 places.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
Grady, here is the pertinent information copied from the last tournament poster. The names won't mean too much to you, but the levels will give you an idea of what we were doing.

My initial intention was to limit to 3 levels. But I had to add a professional level to discourage a touring pro from walking in to snap it off playing as an "A". To have a 6, 8, or 10 level ranking would almost require a weekly or monthly event with a cast of players who were pretty well known.

Despite the fact that poolplayers probably bitch more than any other class of human being :D , whining and arguments were practically non-existent. I think the boys up in New England used this system, and it worked out pretty well. ~Doc

AA (Professional) – Gives A 11-7, B 11-6, C 11-5. Examples: Daulton, Schmidt, N. Vita, J. Cone, Joyner, Richeson, Frost, Owen, Broxson, Hennessee

A (Top area player) – Gives B 9-7, C 10-6. Examples: Jamie Farrell, Eddie Brown, Lil John, Luc Dupierne, Lil Sal, Jason Evans, M. Black, H. McAbee, J. Brock

B (Local shortstop) – Gives C 8-6. Examples: Joey Aguzin, Jason Moran, Bobby H., Ryan Malley, George Shimmer, Jaybird, J. Gambino, James Cox, David Trest

C (Average) – Examples: Doc Tripp, Keith Shilling, Humphrey, S. Fountain, Scott Saucier, D. Walters, Mark Moore, Randy Whalen, Mike Trawick, G. Bru, Ocho

All handicapping will be done by committee. These are “best fit” handicaps. Some will be high or low within their level. Decisions of the Tournament Director are final. Deliberate misrepresentation of a player’s level will result in immediate disqualification of the player AND his cohort.
Yes we did. The second time around we dropped the top handicap a little -- with only two players in that category and their one Pocket falls more in the A class than AA -- we don't have any players in the Daulton -- Richeson -- Joyner category -- but that made a difference for one of the top local players apparently because one of them won the second time. We had just the usual complaints -- you know, two players that have to play each other both complaining that they are ranked too high and their opponent is ranked too low -- so on average, we must have had it right :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
Yes we did. The second time around we dropped the top handicap a little -- with only two players in that category and their one Pocket falls more in the A class than AA -- we don't have any players in the Daulton -- Richeson -- Joyner category -- but that made a difference for one of the top local players apparently because one of them won the second time. We had just the usual complaints -- you know, two players that have to play each other both complaining that they are ranked too high and their opponent is ranked too low -- so on average, we must have had it right :D
Sounds to me as though you had it right too.;)

But if there are no touring or top pros, the "AA" level needn't be used. Just A, B, C.

Doc