Was able to play some this weekend

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was able to get out and play some one pocket this weekend, it felt great!

Broke even yesterday playing one of my buddies and jtompilot - again, always good fun Jim! Today, however I lose getting 9/7 from someone I had not played before and I had chances but gave it away.

I know this has been discussed here before but I don't think anything makes me more frustrated than those momentary losses of concentration / focus.

Short set racing to 3, first game he needs 1 and I need 2. He scratches we both need 2. I have a ball I can shoot straight in and play shape on the spotted ball for the game. I hit the first ball perfect get within 18 inches of the spotted ball almost straight in. I get down, stroke a few times and shoot the ball straight into the tit, it rattles and comes out. I don't understand how I can miss those shots, they are so routine but for some reason I did. He ends up winning the game and it was downhill from there.

Danny Smith was in town playing one of our local shortstops some bank pool and when they finished today I was going to try and play him some one pocket for the experience but he was up all night and wanted to leave and plus for some reason, he only wants to play banks. Guess he is burnt out on 1p, who knows, he plays it awful damn good to not play it lol.

If he would have agreed to play me a little, I have no idea what sort of spot to even ask for. I don't think he would let me go to 4 but who knows. Maybe 15/5 or so? What would you guys take from him?

Either way, it was good to get out and hit some balls. I ran balls a little better this weekend which is strange since I haven't played in 2-3 weeks.Gotta get in stoke for chicago!

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
I know this has been discussed here before but I don't think anything makes me more frustrated than those momentary losses of concentration / focus.

What causes the drifting. How can you fix it.
Concentration is everything. Mine comes and goes. Some mornings it's on a Milk Carton.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Broke even yesterday playing one of my buddies and jtompilot - again, always good fun Jim! Today, however I lose getting 9/7 from someone I had not played before and I had chances but gave it away.

Short set racing to 3, first game he needs 1 and I need 2. He scratches we both need 2. I have a ball I can shoot straight in and play shape on the spotted ball for the game. I hit the first ball perfect get within 18 inches of the spotted ball almost straight in. I get down, stroke a few times and shoot the ball straight into the tit, it rattles and comes out. I don't understand how I can miss those shots, they are so routine but for some reason I did. He ends up winning the game and it was downhill from there.

Danny Smith was in town playing one of our local shortstops some bank pool and when they finished today I was going to try and play him some one pocket for the experience but he was up all night and wanted to leave and plus for some reason, he only wants to play banks. Guess he is burnt out on 1p, who knows, he plays it awful damn good to not play it lol.

If he would have agreed to play me a little, I have no idea what sort of spot to even ask for. I don't think he would let me go to 4 but who knows. Maybe 15/5 or so? What would you guys take from him?

Either way, it was good to get out and hit some balls. I ran balls a little better this weekend which is strange since I haven't played in 2-3 weeks.Gotta get in stoke for chicago!

When you struggle pocketing that game ball, try shooting it in the absolute center of the pocket, not just the pocket... $37.50 /// the bill is in the mail...:)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
When you struggle pocketing that game ball, try shooting it in the absolute center of the pocket, not just the pocket... $37.50 /// the bill is in the mail...:)

plus it's hard shooting game ball while you're still patting yourself on the back after the ball before. haahahahahaha But seriously you probably did not align yourself properly because it was easy. (I do this all the time, unfortunately).

See you soon.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

plus it's hard shooting game ball while you're still patting yourself on the back after the ball before. haahahahahaha But seriously you probably did not align yourself properly because it was easy. (I do this all the time, unfortunately).

See you soon.

This. Ugh. Chris- during the Beastly tourney we just had I missed shots I normally make several times. But the most costly... in the last Game Darrel laid down a fantastic break. I took 2 scratches, and was actually on my way to pulling off an improbable win. I made a ball from uptable and had the chance to cut a ball 45 degrees into my hole and do some damage. A shot I am 80%+ to make. And I absolutely shot it too hard, wasn't aligned properly and rattled it, costing myself the game and it was a difference of 450 dollars. So... I hear ya man. And I like Jeff's advice as usual. .

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

sounds like you are playing pretty good......
:)

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
This. Ugh. Chris- during the Beastly tourney we just had I missed shots I normally make several times. But the most costly... in the last Game Darrel laid down a fantastic break. I took 2 scratches, and was actually on my way to pulling off an improbable win. I made a ball from uptable and had the chance to cut a ball 45 degrees into my hole and do some damage. A shot I am 80%+ to make. And I absolutely shot it too hard, wasn't aligned properly and rattled it, costing myself the game and it was a difference of 450 dollars. So... I hear ya man. And I like Jeff's advice as usual. .

I feel your pain, buddy. I didn't realize how much trouble I was in, in that last game.:eek::eek: Too bad They didn't record our finals match, so we could all relive those moments (you didn't have anything to do with that, did you?):sorry

I still can't believe I won that thing at 70 yrs old and on about 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I mean, starting Saturday morning I was one game behind Cory and even with you, and I had to face the top two leaders, at 70 years old and on 2 1/2 hours of sleep. By the time I finished getting my butt kicked 3 outta 4 by Nick, I was 1 down to Cory and 2 down to you, at 70 years old and on 2 1/2 hours of sleep. Can you just imagine what that's gonna feel like in say 25 years?:D

A freaking miracle.:heh

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
I still can't believe I won that thing at 70 yrs old and on about 2 1/2 hours of sleep.
Can you just imagine what that's gonna feel like in say 25 years?:D

At 70 I get up 2.5 hours a night to leak. In 25 years we will be seasoned finely tuned 1p Players.

chicagomike

Verified Member

That's actually really great advice...seems to obvious to be of benefit, but I really helps with concentration.

chicagomike

Verified Member

How about trying this...even when it's the final ball try to be exact in where the CB is coming to rest. I'll be if you could look at yourself shooting that missed ball you would see your bridge hand moving or yourself lifting up as you stroked the ball. Fundamentals get you every time.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I'll bet if you could look at yourself shooting that missed ball you would see your bridge hand moving or yourself lifting up as you stroked the ball. Fundamentals get you every time.

And let us all say....amen

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I like it and will try to incorporate that, good idea Jeff.

I will have to pay you with some even one pocket the next time our paths meet, you have earned that sir.. :)

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Funny I was just watching a novice player(apa 5 or 6) play 8 ball on a bar table. He missed an easy 8. I asked him which ball he was playing shape on. He said "none". I said that is your mistake.
Pretend you have to get on one ball after the 8. Your brain is trained to see the cue ball angle to get shape.
Same thing when playing 9 ball always play shape for the imaginary 10 ball.