9 Ball Banks at DCC

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I know I am playing, and probably J. Brumbank, Freddy B., one of which I will probably draw in the first round...
who else from onepocket.org is planning on playing?

B.

P.S. I am not worth a plugged nickel shooting at bank pool, but it gets me on the arena floor to watch... perhaps someone would teach me something about the game on thursday...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Banks

Banks

I play in the banks to get used to the Diamonds and get into the competition. I actually cashed three years ago when my first few rounds were with other old farts like me. When I finally drew some real bankers I didn't last long.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I'm in but probably not for long. :( I am happy if I just don't go two and out :lol

Hey John, maybe we can get Greg to start and Old Farts division.

Pel

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
dcc

dcc

I'm getting ready to pay my entry fee and buy back also, no standing in line this way. I have played in all of the previous dcc's. Got in the money 8 times, It's like running a marathon to play pool for 16 hours a day 3 days in a row, gotta love it to do it. I'm 68, but in pretty good shape. BJ

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm in.

What is a buy back?

Bill S.
Derby City uses a unique format. There is no "winner's bracket" or "loser's bracket". The tournament is technically single elimination, except that players with one loss have the option to buy their way back in for one more chance at winning. Two losses and you are completely out. They throw all the players into a hat, regardless of whether players are still in by virtue of buy back or just winning, (actually they use a computer program for the picks now) and they draw fresh matches on a round-by-round basis. Because of this, you can draw the same player you already played -- maybe even the very next round. Also, If there is an odd number of players left in any round, then someone gets a bye -- which can happen at the end if there are only three players left even. Sometimes a good player -- or two -- gets all the way to the finals without a loss, so you can see some repeats there too, because of course at that late stage they would all buy back.

It's kind of a wild tournament, but they have really improved their random draw and match schedule software over the last few years, and they have big video screens with scrolling match schedules, plus you can tune in to a certain in house channel on your room's tv and see the schedule. If you do have a cell phone it is good to make sure some of your friends are also watching out for you, especially early in the morning, so you don't miss a match.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I didn't know you can buy back in advance of losing. Shucks, I ought to go ahead and buy back for the next 20 years.:D

Pel ~ confidence is my middle name