Thought this might be of interest

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
IMG_20151110_153027.jpg

IMG_20151110_153111.jpg

IMG_20151110_153128.jpg

IMG_20151110_153146.jpg

Took me about 2hrs of searching high and low to find these. I had to go thru countless boxes in the attic and the basement. I knew I had them somewhere.

I can remember calling JJ after getting his number out of WOP. He was very cordial and eager to place my order. I sent him a money order and the tapes came about a week later.

Being from CT I couldn't wait to get some of these "underground" tapes with these west coast big names.

On page one it looks like he had the players sign their names next to their tape listing. On another copy I have "buy 4 get 1 free" written down. I can not remember the prices, but do have some numbers written down. Looks like I spent around $145.

Enjoy.

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
So what is the prupose of this post? Are these for sale?
I guess a recent post started by Jeff Sparks about vintage footage of old school players prompted me to dig this up. Also someone mentioned JJ Jenklins in the same thread so I thought it would be relevant.

Lastly John Henderson is featured in one of the matches. I thought that was relevant as well.

All in all I ultimately thought that this was just a small piece of the canon that is of one pocket lore.

Also how many people have seen this list especially from the east coast?

And of course nostalgia.

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
I guess a recent post started by Jeff Sparks about vintage footage of old school players prompted me to dig this up. Also someone mentioned JJ Jenklins in the same thread so I thought it would be relevant.

Lastly John Henderson is featured in one of the matches. I thought that was relevant as well.

All in all I ultimately thought that this was just a small piece of the canon that is of one pocket lore.

And of course nostalgia.

I was not being critical. I was trying to understand because there are some interesting match ups.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

And of course nostalgia.

I'm interested! How do I get my hands on them?

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
I'm interested! How do I get my hands on them?

I believe in the thread you started someone mentioned that JJ's son might have the tapes for sale.

Maybe some of the west coasters have some contact information.

Also I believe I bought the challenge match between Ronnie Allen and Danny D. off of Jay Helfert if that is something that interests you.

On one of the tapes Richey Ambrose is featured. I remember being in Vegas in 03 and caught a cab at the Palms with my then girlfriend. I noticed the name of Richard Ambrose on the cab license in the back seat which I recognized from Winning One Pocket. I said are you Richie Ambrose the pool player and he said yes. He then started to rant and rave about playing guys in Detroit "blocks of 4" or blocks of 8" or something like that. I thought it was pretty cool. Guess quite a few pool players ended up in Vegas in one way or another.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

And of course nostalgia.

Good Richie Ambrose story poolboy....and yes, I think that's a very cool bit of pool/One Pocket nostalgia that you posted up, showing those old tournament matched-up -names.

- Ghost

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
Good Richie Ambrose story poolboy....and yes, I think that's a very cool bit of pool/One Pocket nostalgia that you posted up, showing those old tournament matched-up -names.

- Ghost

Thanks Ghost. I know that there was a thread that mentioned Richie Ambrose made a big score at The Rack and didn't leave a 'tip" and got barred. Does any one know who he played to make that score? Maybe Steve Lomako knows? Also did he end up opening a pool room with that score? Thanks

keoneyo

Verified Member
Richie hung out on the West Coast in LA after that big score. I was told it was 6 figures.
I got some of those tapes that I got off of JJ.
I know I have the Bugs vs Gary Spaeth match .
With some stuff with Mark Tadd and another of Hawaiian Brian.
Jay Helfert might have some stuff. He ran the thing as tournament director.

Id have to go through all my boxes for that stuff. If I can learn how to
convert VHS to DVD it would be the best.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Richie hung out on the West Coast in LA after that big score. I was told it was 6 figures.
I got some of those tapes that I got off of JJ.
I know I have the Bugs vs Gary Spaeth match .
With some stuff with Mark Tadd and another of Hawaiian Brian.
Jay Helfert might have some stuff. He ran the thing as tournament director.

Id have to go through all my boxes for that stuff. If I can learn how to
convert VHS to DVD it would be the best.

I'm your huckleberry. Already have the setup.

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Richie Ambrose at the Rack

Richie Ambrose at the Rack

Richie played Al Sherman, I think. Richie had to block 2 x 4's, no count if he did not run 4. Or maybe even block 8, no count. Al played bad, about my speed, but bet high, and everyone bet on Richie on the side. Al lost about 6 figures, Richie won $23,000 or so. Did not want to pay his time, which was like 10%. So he was barred. But bought the pool room on 5 Mile Road, and called it Mr. 9 Ball. There was a huge sign on the front that said YOU CAN GET PLAYED!. Lots of people came to play him. Table one by the counter was tricky, good home court.