Bank Pool - ratings?

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
After learning of bank pool just about a year ago, I've been wanting to hone my banking skills that much more. Unfortunately, it isn't a typical game in my area.

I've got a pretty good idea on what an 'A' player is in general, but I can't find much information on the general ratings for bank pool. What would an 'A' in bank pool be capable of? Are there many strung racks at all? Would 1 out of 5 racks being a runout be that strong? My goal for 2011 is to put together a barbox 3-pack (short rack) and was curious as to how that may rate.

Thanks!

(Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find anything.)

Deeman

Verified Member
Banks,

I play banks once a year at DCC so I am not the one to set you straight but you can get a lot of info from our pal The Beard. How do you play? Short rack (9 balls) or full rack? In my experience, running racks would have very little to do with measuring it, although it happens. The game is so defensive in it's nature over the way balls land, the guys shot before you start, etc.

The only way I will last more than two rounds is forfeits or moving to Kentucky!

I hear it helps to wear one of Freddie's shirts.

Good luck!

DeeMan

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not easy to compute

Not easy to compute

Banks said:
After learning of bank pool just about a year ago, I've been wanting to hone my banking skills that much more. Unfortunately, it isn't a typical game in my area.

I've got a pretty good idea on what an 'A' player is in general, but I can't find much information on the general ratings for bank pool. What would an 'A' in bank pool be capable of? Are there many strung racks at all? Would 1 out of 5 racks being a runout be that strong? My goal for 2011 is to put together a barbox 3-pack (short rack) and was curious as to how that may rate.

Thanks!

(Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find anything.)

Firstly, the difference between full rack and short rack is vast. Why do you think that old war horse John H offered to play me short rack banks -- and I am still hesitating? If he tried to play me full-rack banks I might play him with the shaft. That's how much difference there is in the two games.

If a guy banks out, one out of every five short rack games, he is a top player -- and he is probably playing on a bar table. Dat aint so eezzee.

Plus the structure of bank pool allows you to choose very different styles of play. You can shoot at everything and be super aggressive and run a lot of balls or you can be a squeezer and slow down an aggressive shooter.

I used to be able to play both styles, but it depended on how good a stroke I was in. Today, I am relegated to suffocating defense only.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Just an observation...

Just an observation...

Strictly from a layman's viewpoint, I can see another possible element, in the difference between the two (full/short) bank games....Fear !!!.:rolleyes:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Still....

Still....

SJDinPHX said:
Strictly from a layman's viewpoint, I can see another possible element, in the difference between the two (full/short) bank games....Fear !!!.:rolleyes:

...following me around. Jeez. I thought you were on the wagon.:confused:
Fear? haha I played in joints that you would have been afraid to drop off UPS packages at the curb, and speed away from.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
Banks said:

Thanks!

Well to give you some idea.When somebody runs 5 banks in a match at the DCC,It gets talked about quite a bit.And that's the best bankpool players in the world.So that should tell you that it doesn't happen very often.

If you ever run a 3 pack playing banks on any kind of table,I would say you are a CHAMPION bankpool player. That's 15 balls in a row! I hope you do.You might. When and if you do, I hope you come back here and tell us about. That would be a feat for sure. You sound like you know alot about banks just by your observations about the 3 railer vs the 4 railer.Your dead right on that.
The 4 railer is much easier to make.IMO

You really don't have to run out alot to be a good bankpool player.
You just need to know when to try to runout and when to play safe.
I'v said this before....I never look at the table and think to myself that I'm going to try to run this rack.I like to play one ball at a time. Bankpool is a hard game and your just not going to run out very often IMO. Hope I gave you some insight on what It takes to be called a top bankpool player. Good luck in your quest.I'm glad to see that you like the game so much.I think It's the best game with the least amount of luck. Sorry,hope i didn't offend anyone one on here.Should not have wrote that like that.

And Thanks for the congrats. John B.

Last edited:

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Thanks for the input, folks. My banking doesn't change too much from table to table, so if I can do it on the barboxes I usually play on then I should be at least pretty damn close on the big tables.

I go for a lot more offense since I am still trying to get my banking A+. Once it is up there, then I'll start making life hell for others. I don't get to play it for money too often, so it's more like practicing to me most of the time and trying to see how quickly I can get out. Even in my 8-ball games, my friends are always caught off guard by my defenses since I usually try to go all out if it's just for fun.

The slight inside on the cross-corners was working pretty well yesterday. I'm still trying to fine-tune my long banks for killing and widening the angles. It feels like there's a fine line between the two. My favorites are the spin/timing shots, things like trying to avoid the double-kiss on a shot by using funny spin to either stay out of the way of the bank or to create a different rebound angle on the bank.

I've always had a good eye for banks, maybe because it forces me to concentrate. It kills me when I make some nice banks and then screw up the easier shots in a regular game. :confused: And when people start complaining about luck and such in different games, I just think to myself that they should play bank pool, since there's no such thing as slopping in a win or kissing off another ball. All pure shots and skill makes em, even a hanger takes concentration in bank pool.

Right now I'm working on 8-ball break n runs, switching over to banking once I fail (most of the time, obviously). Kinda keeps me from getting bored or frustrated with any one game. ;) Good thing is, it's only a quarter a game where I'm going now!

And I like short-rack banks.. full rack always looks like a boring 1-hole game with too much movement and not enough shooting.

u12armresl

Verified Member
A few years ago in that DCC Bank ring game, Brian put on an exhibition on how to bank under pressure.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Banks said:

Thanks!

I think the toughest thing about banks is that you MUST make an accurate hit on the cb to play good banks. If you are shooting a center ball hit bank, you damn well better hit in the center if you're gonna make the ball.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
blackeee said:
I think the toughest thing about banks is that you MUST make an accurate hit on the cb to play good banks. If you are shooting a center ball hit bank, you damn well better hit in the center if you're gonna make the ball.
I agree. I find I play banks a little better using a shorter bridge -- presumably 'cuz that gives me better control of the english. And you really have to focus on your target, and there is nobody better at that focus than John Brumback, imo.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
As usual...It sailed right over your head !!!

As usual...It sailed right over your head !!!

fred bentivegna said:
...Fear? haha I played in joints that you would have been afraid to drop off UPS packages at the curb, and speed away from.

Beard

I was referring to your obvious "fear" of John H...not fear of the low-life Chicago dives you frequent....Sheeeesh, try and catch up Fred..:rolleyes:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Is there anybody...

Is there anybody...

SJDinPHX said:
I was referring to your obvious "fear" of John H...not fear of the low-life Chicago dives you frequent....Sheeeesh, try and catch up Fred..:rolleyes:

...but you that might believe that? I love and respect John H, but the only guy that caused me fear was myself -- afraid that I wouldnt perform as I knew I could. I never feared the devil.
Incidentally, a little side-bar, oftentimes those low-life, oftentimes not in Chicago, dives I played in, oftentimes as a bonus, were peopled with world beaters.

I was the only offay pool player that could play in any joint in Watts, LA, right after the riots, because I had a business card from the gang boss of Watts that said, "Freddy the Beard is a personal friend of mine. Treat him with the respect you would give me."

The thought of a bank pool game, any kind of bank pool game, with someone from Coo Coo land (CA.) if hardly cause for fright -- or Frosty aside -- anybody from AZ, forum or state.

Beard

Don't even read this post, John. He's just trying to be divisive again. If he doesnt stop, I will not point him out to all the good players at DCC. I'll let him go totally unnoticed save for our forum brothers.

Truthfully tho, Hopkins was curious as to what he looks like.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Truthfully tho, Hopkins was curious as to what he looks like.
Beard

Hopkins called me at the pool room in San Antonio in the late 70's and said Rodney this is Allen Hopkins, if I come there how can we play? I said I don't believe I know you. He said yeah, but you know who I am. No I said I don't.
He said I do the commentary on pool on T.V. I said I don't watch it. He said well how could we play. I said I always play anyone who walks in the door, but if you're a champion I'll have to find out what you look like. He didn't come there.
Rod.
PS, We played a few game at the 1st. Clyde Childress tourny a few year later. ( not even) :p

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna The thought of a bank pool game said:
...This sentence looks like it was written by Cocobola Cowboy...It is very dis-jointed, and grossly lacking in fact or substance..[/I]

PS..Don't even read this post, John. He's just trying to be divisive again. If he doesnt stop, I will not point him out to all the good players at DCC. Truthfully tho, Hopkins was curious as to what he looks like.

No need to worry, Fred... Allen will only have to look for the guy surrounded by all the pretty young girls, his admiring fan club, and his body-guards...lighting his cigarettes with the $100 dollar bills, he won from the Ghost.:D...I will even give him a FREE autographed 8 X 10 Photo of SJD.. (MSRP- $199.95)

Fred...Puleeeeze, how many times have I told you...Do not exagerate...and try and be more realistic in your posts...:rolleyes: ;) :D

Last edited:

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I'm not all that big on the center ball hit when I bank (or maybe you're talking about the target ball). Usually I'm putting something on the ball to either change/fix the angle or to get shape. And normally I use a standard bridge length unless I've got a short gimme and then I may have a long, ugly bridge from the rail. I have been shortening up my bridge a little in general - maybe I'll pay more attention and see if I also have been doing that with my banks, or if I haven't I'll give it a shot and see how it does.

Free pool Sunday.. gonna try to see if I can do a bank pool ghost game. Break, take BIH in the kitchen, spot and dropped balls and see what I can do. Maybe I'll give myself an extra turn if things aren't looking so promising with that strategy. ;)

I play on a barbox, so a full rack game would be a bit of a pain. I have more fun shooting than moving. Meant no disrespect to 1p and I certainly don't mind the game, but sometimes it just looks like people are moving just for the sake of moving (maybe they're just stalling?).

Deeman

Verified Member
Banks said:
the sake of moving (maybe they're just stalling?).

Banks,

in this life, most of us are just stalling, some of us just don't know it!

:)

DeeMan

John Brumback

Verified Member
blackeee said:

Well...... I think the most important thing on a bank shot is the technique that you are using on the shot at hand.different techniques for different banks. If you can't hit the cue ball where you want, any pool is going to be very hard. JMHO

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
John Brumback said:
I think it's(banks) the most skillful game on a pool table,with the least amount of luck.

And Thanks for the congrats. John B.
john do you really think banks takes more skill and less luck that one pocket???
if you do why???