Wade Crane

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Wade stories

Wade stories

I have plenty of stories about my departed friend but not sure what's appropiate . For example I first met Billy in Asheville, NC in the 60's at an upstairs VFW club, where he was with David Sizemore.None of us knew the other and we had big bankrolls. Well, hallowed readers who knew the three of us, you can imagine what type of action transpired. BTW, yes it was said that with Ronnie the shark was worth a full ball. Well, with David it was three balls worth.
More to follow.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Grady said:
I have plenty of stories about my departed friend but not sure what's appropiate . For example I first met Billy in Asheville, NC in the 60's at an upstairs VFW club, where he was with David Sizemore.None of us knew the other and we had big bankrolls. Well, hallowed readers who knew the three of us, you can imagine what type of action transpired. BTW, yes it was said that with Ronnie the shark was worth a full ball. Well, with David it was three balls worth.
More to follow.

Not to get off track about Wade, But, I beg to differ with you Grady...Sizemore could be very annoying, but in an almost childish way. David often shot himself in the foot, with his antics...He'd often resort to threats, when he found himself in a bad spot gambling....I would rank RA, several balls ahead of him, (at the shark) with his quick wit and timing...Not even close...:cool:

Forgive the distraction...Lets get back to remembering Wade/Billy. They just don't make 'em like him anymore.

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I just went thru both books and there really isnt anything that could be used for Wikipedia. Sorry, Jammy. I only have personal stuff that I will go over at the HOF dinner.

Beard

Thank you for the kind reply! :)

JAM

Verified Member
Grady said:
More to follow.

Thank you for the interest in contributing to Wade Crane's Wikipedia page, Grady! :)

According to the Wiki rules, which are brutal to adhere to, one must have all data referenced via a weblink, a book, print media, et cetera. In other words, I am unable provide word-of-mouth data on the Wikipedia pages, even though I know they are the truth. For some reason, the Wikipedia editors only admit referenced data. This, as you know, is quite difficult with pool because there is not much of a pool archives that exists.

That said, though, if you have anything in written form or know of any that I can get my hands on, it sure would be helpful. I would like to beef up the Wade Crane page.

I'm kind of getting bummed out on working with pool-related stuff in recent times. I used to enjoy it a lot, spending many hours on various projects. Wikipedia used to be one of them. When I first started out, they only had 20 or so American pool players listed. Now there's over 60.

Nowdays it seems like a pool player has to be dead to be recognized, or if they're still living, they're told that they are not old enough to be recognized. Dead or alive, you can't win. I am beginning to not understand at all anymore. :(

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
JAM said:
A brand-new Wikipedia article has been created for Wade Crane: Wiki Page for Wade Crane.

If you know of anything that should be included in the Wikipedia article that can be referenced, please let me know, and I will make sure that it gets included. Everything must be referenced, and word-of-mouth data cannot be inserted in Wikipedia articles. I would like to beef up this Wiki Page about Wade Crane, if possible.

RIP, Wade Crane!

JAM,
The October 1985 edition of Billiards Digest has a very nice article on Wade Crane on pages 48-50. Lots of text, two smaller photos.

Let me know if you need any info. I have no idea on how to work a wei table or put anything on a wiki page, so you'll have to be the brains of the operation.

May he R.I.P.

JAM

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
JAM,
The October 1985 edition of Billiards Digest has a very nice article on Wade Crane on pages 48-50. Lots of text, two smaller photos.

Let me know if you need any info. I have no idea on how to work a wei table or put anything on a wiki page, so you'll have to be the brains of the operation.

May he R.I.P.

Now, that's what I'm talking about, Terry. This would be EXTREMELY helpful. I am going to peruse my pool mags and see if I have that one.

If I do not have it, then I may have to contact BD or ask somebody who does have a copy if they can photocopy it and send it to me.

Also, I have a ton of the older National Billiard newspapers, which may have some good data. It just takes time to go through them and find stuff.

This is *exactly* the kind of things that would be so very useful. I'd give you some greenies, Terry, but I think I'm on the wrong forum to do that. :D

mosconiac

Verified Member
I said it over on AZB & I'll say it again here...Thank you JAM for taking the time to honor Wade's memory.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
BJ story

BJ story

One of the greatest nights I ever had in pool was at the One Pocket Legends tournament at South Philly Billiards in the 90s. Wade Crane, aka Billy Johnson, Buddy Hall and I, watched and bet on Cornbread Red playing John "Cornflakes" Hennigan (who also now plays on the World Poker Tour) Last Pocket Nine ball. The stakes were two sets of 15k each, with all the side action you wanted. Billy, Buddy Hall and I, each bet $600 on Cornbread. Cornflakes apparently didn't know that Red had invented and mastered that particular game with Kenny Romberg Remus, back at The Rack in Detroit.

Red won the first set easily, and Hennigan's man was taking all bets on the second set at a small table he had set up. When we went to collect he asked us if we wanted to push our bet and bet the whole $1200 on the next set. Barely able to suppress a giggle, we all bet the wad. Cornflakes was a real high-roller, and the Philly smart boys said betting big money wouldn't bother Cornflakes at all. However, Billy's, Buddy's, and my take on it was a little different. Yeah, Cornflakes was used to betting big with people -- ordinary people-- but he hadn't bet giant money against somebody like the frightening, high-rolling creature called Cornbread Red. The three of us giggled, tee-heed and hand slapped all the way thru the set. Our confidence was soon rewarded when Red won the set, long-stroking, and whistling in a straight-back session ball into the super-tough, triple-shimmed pocket. Red's only complaint was that he couldn't dig up more than 30k to bet in the time Cornflakes allowed.

Beard

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
fred bentivegna said:
One of the greatest nights I ever had in pool was at the One Pocket Legends tournament at South Philly Billiards in the 90s. Wade Crane, aka Billy Johnson, Buddy Hall and I, watched and bet on Cornbread Red playing John "Cornflakes" Hennigan (who also now plays on the World Poker Tour) Last Pocket Nine ball. The stakes were two sets of 15k each, with all the side action you wanted. Billy, Buddy Hall and I, each bet $600 on Cornbread. Cornflakes apparently didn't know that Red had invented and mastered that particular game with Kenny Romberg Remus, back at The Rack in Detroit.

Red won the first set easily, and Hennigan's man was taking all bets on the second set at a small table he had set up. When we went to collect he asked us if we wanted to push our bet and bet the whole $1200 on the next set. Barely able to suppress a giggle, we all bet the wad. Cornflakes was a real high-roller, and the Philly smart boys said betting big money wouldn't bother Cornflakes at all. However, Billy's, Buddy's, and my take on it was a little different. Yeah, Cornflakes was used to betting big with people -- ordinary people-- but he hadn't bet giant money against somebody like the frightening, high-rolling creature called Cornbread Red. The three of us giggled, tee-heed and hand slapped all the way thru the set. Our confidence was soon rewarded when Red won the set, long-stroking, and whistling in a straight-back session ball into the super-tough, triple-shimmed pocket. Red's only complaint was that he couldn't dig up more than 30k to bet in the time Cornflakes allowed.

Beard

I remember when he came back from that tournament Freddie.

He was so HOT he couldn't have time to bet more. He was talkin bout "dem stinkin rat dogs", he felt like he lost money in that game.

Red was already 62 or 63 then.

The more stories that come about Billy makes me realise how often he was in with Red and how good they got along, I can think of all kinds of things they were in together on.

I never felt comfortable calling him or introducing him as Wade, it felt like I was tricking somebody not telling them "this is BILLY JOHNSON".

It just sucks. RIP Billy.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Billy and Red

Billy and Red

stevelomako said:
I remember when he came back from that tournament Freddie.

He was so HOT he couldn't have time to bet more. He was talkin bout "dem stinkin rat dogs", he felt like he lost money in that game.

Red was already 62 or 63 then.

The more stories that come about Billy makes me realise how often he was in with Red and how good they got along, I can think of all kinds of things they were in together on.

I never felt comfortable calling him or introducing him as Wade, it felt like I was tricking somebody not telling them "this is BILLY JOHNSON".

It just sucks. RIP Billy.

Let me tell you all something Billy once told me regarding Red. It impacted me tremendously and I have never forgotten what he said. I don't remember exactly where we were when he said it, but I'm sure Red was in his, at least, middle 60s. A bunch of us were cutting up jackpots, and naturally Cornbread dominated many of our stories. Then Billy suddenly got dead serious and changed the whole course of the conversation when he said, "Well, we all better enjoy him (Red) while we can, while he is still here with us, because when he goes there ain't gonna be no one else like him ever coming along again."

Red wasn't even sick at that time, but the reality of him ever being out of our lives was traumatic to all of us. It was like we all got hit with a melancholy shock wave. Then Billy started lamenting about why we were never smart enough to have been recording Red all these years, preserving for posterity some of Red's classic moves and one-liners -- especially his cursing.
We were all made to feel that we had selfishly squandered our time with him.
I was deeply moved. But it was just one more example of the depth of character of the late, great Billy Johnson.

Beard

JAM

Verified Member
Great story, Freddy. I wish you would record these gems. Maybe you should consider doing an audio book. That would be a first in pool for sure. It would be cool to listen to while traveling. Audio books are popular now. :)

I'm sure y'all have seen this photo before, but I copied it from Wade's website. I did not know that he beat Earl twice in the finals to win the 1987Steve Gumphreys Memorial 9-Ball Open in Jackson, Mississippi.

I recognize about six or seven players in this photo, but that's about it. :eek:

I see Tommy Kennedy, Louie Roberts, Buddy Hall, Earl, David Howard, and, of course, Wade. I don't know who the others are. Steve Gumphreys, by the way, grew up in my neck of the woods. He used to be our hometown champ until he went on the road, fell in love, and got married.

Attachments

• photo-wade-crane-2[1].jpg
    photo-wade-crane-2[1].jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
From our man, Gbru

From our man, Gbru

I just happened to read this on AZ, and I was so touched that I thought y'all might like to read it here. George is 100% class, and has a heart as big as they come. It also gives a little insight as to Wade's situation during the past few years. ~Doc

"I only met Wade when he was living in Mobile a few years ago.
He was frequenting the pool hall where I shot. Joe Nelson introduced me to him and then.... "as old road pool players do"... they started swapping memories back and forth about their road experiences.

I was cracking up at some of the stories and at others I was standing with mouth wide open in suspense as Joe and Wade were reiminicing about their adventures. They had both spent a lot of time.... (not together that much).... but each of them traveling the country and each doing pretty well for himself.

I took a few one pocket lessons from Wade and at that time he was kinda in a pickle financially. I asked him why he didn't have his cue with him and he said he had to hock it. I had several cues so I gave him one of my better ones and a case....He didn't want to take it but I insisted. He said when he got on his feet he would send it back to me from N.C. where he was to be relocating in a few weeks. I gave him some cash and again he reluctantly accepted.

About 6 or 8 months later I got a call and Wade said...."George...I don't know when I'll be able to repay you the money you gave me but I would like to send your cue back if you give me your address."

I asked him if he liked the cue and he replied...Yes.

Then keep it as a gift.....I told him.....And then I told him to forget about the money and just put it toward my contribution..... thanking you for what you did for pool.

He thanked me sincerely and gave me a kindly compliment.
I just read this on AZ from our man Gbru. It touched me so much that I thought y'all might like to read it here. George is 100% class, and has a heart as big as they come. This also gives a little insight into Wade's situation:

Yes indeed....I didn't know him that good but Wade was on classy guy.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to make his acquaintence.

The pool world has lost one of its finest players and one of the classiest gentlemen to ever walk through the doors.

I really liked and respected the way Wade carried himself....R.I.P."

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Its very sad when someone dies that you have known all your life.

Nobody realy knowes the answer. And the end resulte is howe do we feel about it.

The people left behind feel the real pain.

Maybe a time will come in the world when people will be able too live forever.

I have only herd good things about Wade Crain. He was a great player. And he will always be remembered.

Everyones Journey comes to a end. And the sooner we realize it the better life we will live.

Istead off makeing plans for the future that we mite never see. Live for today is the best way too live our life.

That's very well said Artie, and so so true.

As I sit here on my computer teary eyed and feeling sad, I can't help but to think of all the people/players our age who have been so much a part of our lives. Wade was a special person who we will always remember, not only because he was as formidable of a player of our time, but also because he made us laugh and enjoy life when he was around. Wade was a lifer who was as resilient a player as i've ever been around, you could never count him out and if you did it would be a mistake that you would never repeat if you learned the lesson taught.

Fart machine, stink bombs, what a sense of humor only a few have shared but the things he did will always be remembered. Wade was a very unique person..to say the least, but you had to love him, which if you truly knew him you did.;) Grady, i'm sorry I know your saddened by this because I know you guys were really close, but like Artie says..everyones journey comes to an end, and Wade will be remembered for the champion and unique person he was. R.I.P. Boom Boom.

Your friend always,
Bill Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lifetime Pool in Action Award

Lifetime Pool in Action Award

Is everybody aware that Wade Crane is going to be this year's Lifetime Pool in Action Award winner? Very touching and considerate of our boss, Steve Booth.
However, on the downside, the paucity of posts in this thread is embarrassing.

Beard

cuesmith

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Is everybody aware that Wade Crane is going to be this year's Lifetime Pool in Action Award winner? Very touching and considerate of our boss, Steve Booth.
However, on the downside, the paucity of posts in this thread is embarrassing.

Beard

Well deserved! RIP Wade!

JAM

Verified Member
mosconiac said:
I said it over on AZB & I'll say it again here...Thank you JAM for taking the time to honor Wade's memory.

And thanks again, Mosconiac. I appreciate your kind words. :)

I am going to add more to it as soon as I receive a photocopy of a BD article from Terry Ardeno, who so kindly is sending me a Wade Crane article that Billiards Digest wrote in 1986.

I have been able to find some Wade Crane data to insert. The page is starting to beef up a little, which is great: Wade Crane Wikipedia Page.

I was looking pictures of Robbinsville, North Carolina, where Wade Crane is supposed to be buried, as well as where he grew up. The population was 747 according to the 2000 Census. I did notice it was 1.5 hours from Knoxville, where the accident happened.

What a beautiful region of the world Robbinsville is, on the western-most part of North Carolina. I would love to live there. :)

Attachments

• cherohala-skyway[1].jpg
    cherohala-skyway[1].jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
The more I hear about Billy (or Wade) and his sense of humor from you guys, the more I'm beginning to appreciate the man.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Platoon, Freddie

Platoon, Freddie

I beg to differ Freddie,for a pool player who spends much of his life in shadows and after hours like we do,there's plenty and more to come stories of this good man.My friend is in that 87 Gumphrey Memorial picture and he died in 1998 and Im still hurting when I look back.Look back another 30 years from then to Nam and this was a weekly happening in the bush so you learn to cop an attitude real quick about the people you meet.I'll refrain from my usual gallows humor cause only boonie rats can dig it but that being said the times you spent with this good man need to be treasured and pulled out and prized for what you had after the heartache is diminished from his leaving.I saw him just a few times in the 80's and have no stories to tell here so I'll be brief and look for more good stories about him to remind me of the good times I had with my people who are somewhere else waiting for us to walk thru that door and do it again.Billy,Red,Louie and a hundred more just around that cosmic corner.Can't hardly wait myself,adios my friend,B