Protecting My Balls

unoperro

Verified Member
Okay you juveniles grow up!

I was playing Danny Olson some 1pkt yesterday,and it occured to me that,I was thinking I need to protect "my balls-that are on my side of the table".
Only thing is as aggressive as players are now,there is no longer 'My balls-Your balls".
Anyone else realize this?

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
When you look at the pattern on the table, I think you have to count up 'your' balls, 'his' balls and 'free range' balls in order to make a good inventory. How you grade them is up to you. That's how I see it.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Many of the young players that I see if they play an offensive shot it usually is an attempt at pocketing a ball. There doesn't appear to be as much of "building a position and maintaining that position." I do think that a player must still protect their balls by utilizing the stack whenever possible as well as knowing the best cue ball path to use when trying to leave your opponent behind balls that are uptable.

Deeman

Verified Member
I also would think that now, beyond "your balls vs. your opponents balls" is much more important "balls that favor your pocket" weather that be directly of through banks caroms, etc. The godawful re-positioning shots ( as Dr. Bill might rightly call them) that some of these players are able to execute are able to make a bunch of our ball herding shots plain useless in some cases. :-(

I kinda focused on Alex in his last few matches at DCC and just had that feeling, "Why do I keep playing this game?" after he totally out maneuvered guys who had what many of us would think was the moral nuts in "setting the table" for themselves. Some of the shots he made to re-set 4,5 or 6 balls you would think had some luck involved except he kept doing it over and over against players who only needed a peek at a shot to get out. While the stack, our old friend, may still be an effective blockade it seems that it is damn near impossible to "sew up" the very top champions. Good thing we don't face them often.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
When you look at the pattern on the table, I think you have to count up 'your' balls, 'his' balls and 'free range' balls in order to make a good inventory. How you grade them is up to you. That's how I see it.
\
Very good.

I've heard Dr. Bill point out that a ball I thought advantageous to one player was actually better for the other.

"Grading" them is sometimes difficult.

unoperro

Verified Member
\
Very good.

I've heard Dr. Bill point out that a ball I thought advantageous to one player was actually better for the other.

"Grading" them is sometimes difficult.

there in lies the rub!
Good replies so far:)

stedyfred

Verified Member
A question that I think is pertinent in this thread is who are the good young squeezers in today's one pocket similar to a young Fusco or Hopkins. I don't know of any, do you.

unoperro

Verified Member
A question that I think is pertinent in this thread is who are the good young squeezers in today's one pocket similar to a young Fusco or Hopkins. I don't know of any, do you.

good enough ? to warrant a new thread!
I dont know any either.

unoperro

Verified Member
Ok heres my take on young players "squeezing".

It prob wont happen because new players play rotation first.Rotation often rewards all out offensive play.
They decide to play 1pkt, a older player "schools" them- moving&squeezing.
New player prob cant move with them so....fireaway.They run out of the trap and never look back.

Sure the more they play, the more moves they have. BUT the MOVE is only the fluff till
they can fire away.

Sylver moves good but he isnt that young.