I forgot how to play 1P

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I was never a great player-just a good player, I played pool for over 10 years straight on 9' tables in good pool rooms, I'm not a bar player, drinker etc. I was/am a student of the game, I won more $$$ than I lost, I hold up good for the $$$ but am not a tournment player. I can beat any B player 95% of the time and have my hands full with any A player. I sat on the rail in Cue-Topia in Vegas studying the world class 1P players for years, I never played much 1P but its by far my favorite game to watch, I awalys figured that when I get older I would switch from 9B to 1P, I'm 40 now and not ready to cahnge games, I took the past 12-13 years off pool,

I play at home some etc. Six months ago I started to play with serious intentions again, my back is in very bad condition and I thought playing pool would help it-It has, and considering how much I play 2-4 days a week-not much but my back wont let me play more I'm pretty happy with how I'm playing. My mental game is MUCH stronger than it was 20 years ago, on good days I'm running racks of 9B, on bad days I still get out pretty good unless the pain interferes, I'm also executing shots I couldnt ever make before successfully with a good %.

OK so thats my story, I havent played a frame of 1P until yesterday for 7 or 8 years. back when I was playing a little 1P-I watched more than I played but I beat anyone easily who played my speed at 9B. So yesterday I played jay Helfert who is a better player than me, I kinda hung in there playing 9B so I asked him to play 1P, man did I forget how to play, I couldnt see the shot, he made one mistake on on frame and I ran 5 or 6 balls, but man I couldnt believe what I forgot, I couldnt see the shot most of the time, I would ask him to show me the shot and I was fine, my point is for what ever reason 1P isnt like a bicycle if you dont play you can forget what to do, for me anyways. I was amazed how much I forgot-I was helpless, like i never played 1P before.

i did beat him at at banks, we only played one game, 5-0. so I was happy, his best game, It was luck I just made a few easy shots and got a few rolls, i have no chance to beat him playing banks, so since i'm ahead we'll never play again ;).

My question is directed to top 1P players after a long lay-off years, is it normal to forget alot of moves, not the obvious shots but more complicated stragity, 1P was my best game even though I didnt play it often because I studied it alot but I forgot ALOT. Is this normal? I was helpless yesterday. When I asked Jay to show me the shot it was obvious but man I forgot so much, I dont like that.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well, I'm no top One Pocket player, but this brings to mind an expression that comes up occasionally when some upstart gets into an argument with a venerable One Pocket master like Grady Mathews, etc, 'He's forgotten more One Pocket than you'll ever learn!' Maybe there's some truth to that after all :)

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
One answer of, perhaps, many

One answer of, perhaps, many

Fatboy said:
.....but man I forgot so much, I dont like that.

Bet higher.

It has a direct effect on certain critical portions of the brain: one such portion is that which processes such things as aversions to activities like sleeping in the gutter or eating red beans and rice for weeks on end. Once the aversion handler has been appropriately stimulated, one will find one's memory restored and probably enhanced, or one will be able to comfortably take up bowling, chess, or perhaps needlepoint.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
KindlyOleUncleDave said:
Bet higher.

It has a direct effect on certain critical portions of the brain: one such portion is that which processes such things as aversions to activities like sleeping in the gutter or eating red beans and rice for weeks on end. Once the aversion handler has been appropriately stimulated, one will find one's memory restored and probably enhanced, or one will be able to comfortably take up bowling, chess, or perhaps needlepoint.

And the PM, KindlyOleUncleDave, sent, Jay: YOU CAN SEND MY JELLYROLL TO....................................... Just Kidding Guys.