making last ball to spot

t-dog

Verified Member
Very noob question that has probably been answered but, short rack banks 4-4 and the ball in the jaws and cant be nudged. Surely I dont follow it in and spot 2, what do you shoot and where do you leave the cue ball? The ghost ball denotes the foot spot.

Attachments

• banks.PNG
    banks.PNG
    312.8 KB · Views: 1

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Since the ball can not be nudged or it pockets, and you do not want to make it and scratch then I have a couple of ideas.

1. very high powered and way beyond my skills, but to jump the cue ball into back of pocket and have it rebound back and knock the object ball out without scratching! Pretty far fetched!

2. make the ob and draw the cue ball to the spot, whereas when the ob is spotted it either freezes the ob to the cb or the cb is very close to the ob making it near impossible to bank. I like this option much better than 1.

3. If it is a drop pocket hopefully your other four balls are in that pocket, if not put them all in there, and blast the shot, the ob ball may jump out! lol !!!

thanks, for the thread it is a head scratcher! Whitey

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Distance is the only viable answer. Make the ball hanging in the pocket and bring the cue ball toward one of the far corner pockets, preferably on the end rail.

Additionally, if the pool table has a roll towards one of the far corner pockets then pick the far corner pocket that does not have a roll to it. The reasoning is that it lessens the chance of your opponent making the spotted object ball by passing over (cut bank) it with "pocket speed" into the far corner pocket (where the cue ball had previously been shot from) because it will (should) roll out from that pocket. Obviously and in contrast, an object ball that is banked (or shot at) with "pocket speed" has a greater chance of being pocketed into a pocket which has a roll into it.

Baseball is sometimes called a "game of inches" and makes a difference in winning or losing a game; pool is sometimes a "game of rolls" and can make a difference in winning or losing a game.

t-dog

Verified Member
Very noob question that has probably been answered but, short rack banks 4-4 and the ball in the jaws and cant be nudged. Surely I dont follow it in and spot 2, what do you shoot and where do you leave the cue ball? The ghost ball denotes the foot spot.

Thanks, I leave distance but they shoot it in on me all the time. lol. I like leaving it tied up with the spotted ball. Never tried to get there.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
but, you never spot a ball touching the cueball

It just shows how old school I am. I am showing my age and a bygone era when a spotted ball was frozen to the cue ball. An example of an American rule that is now circumvented.

I'd much rather have the ball frozen to the cue ball so that I can shoot through that ball as I wished, otherwise you have to stroke that spotted ball on a severe angle, and it limits what can be done in stroking the spotted ball. So I like the old American Standard Rule better!

I stand corrected and thanks for pointing this out! Whitey

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
It just shows how old school I am. I am showing my age and a bygone era when a spotted ball was frozen to the cue ball. An example of an American rule that is now circumvented.

I'd much rather have the ball frozen to the cue ball so that I can shoot through that ball as I wished, otherwise you have to stroke that spotted ball on a severe angle, and it limits what can be done in stroking the spotted ball. So I like the old American Standard Rule better!

I stand corrected and thanks for pointing this out! Whitey

Any ball but the cue ball should be frozen. I don't think it's a new thing.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
its not enough to leave a long shot, most good bankers would just drill it right in, or get very close---u have to try to leave a weird angle to make it as difficult for them as possible--watch gary spaeth bank pool videos (very few of them, a shame) if you want to see a world class safety player with one ball in play..... and a monster offensive banker as well...... RIP Gary

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
many times you can make the ball in the corner with a little carom off the pocket and freeze the cueball to the inside cushion , hooking them.
It's a tough shot unless you practice it , then like all things it becomes easier, and you know how the balls must be, for it to be a viable shot.