What cue?/Update from Africa

Matt_24

Verified Member
Fellow One Pocket Players,

I've been deployed to Africa for almost six months now and looking forward to coming home. Not only will it be great to be back, but I'm also retiring soon after returning after 20 years in the Air Force.

I try to remind myself to be grateful for the limited comforts we have here (it could ABSOLUTELY be worse), but I'm still ready to get home (and stop living in a tent).

About a month ago, the base actually purchased a 3.5 x 7 pool table, 4 cues (ASKA brand ordered online), some chalk (of the cheapest variety), and a rack to hold the cues. We've messed with it to get it level as possible for being placed IN A TENT, on a WOODEN FLOOR, LOL.

Of course, with the cheap tips and chalk, you literally can't trust a draw shot. If you spend a minute chalking your tip incredibly thoroughly you might not miscue....but center, top, side always works fine. Of course, learning to play the table "lean" is a central part of the game here as well, LOL. Whenever I miscue and get frustrated (which is frequent) I remind myself just to be happy I'm able to hit a ball at all in this austere environment.

I won the base tournament, so kind of neat to think I've won a pool tournament in Africa. (8 Ball...of course)

One young gun is really interested in pool, so I've been sharing one pocket with him and playing quite a few games. It's so interesting to watch his shot selection and educate him on the game. He's got natural hand/eye coordination. This guy is a ping pong monster. He's unbeatable here and says he is the best in the Air Force (and by watching his skill level I don't doubt it). I've got him watching Alex Pagulayan one pocket videos on youtube. I'm sure he will be hooked soon.

So, regarding my question on a cue. Before leaving I've been playing with predator shafts for many years on different butts. My last combination was an old McDermott D21. It plays good....BUT, since I haven't played (not that I really count) in 6 months, I want to buy a nice custom cue that I can marry and grow old with...LOL...and get away from the low deflection products. I want to buy myself something special kind of as a retirement gift. I'm thinking one of the following:

Southwest (I know my buddy Miller plays with one and they hit great)
Josh Treadway (He's a local guy who makes great cues - and I see some available online)
Ginacue (Lou F. let me hit a few balls with his when we played before I left and it had an amazing feel)
TAD (This is probably my number one selection. Always wanted one)
TASCARELLA (Also a top choice - I like the old school aesthetics)

I value your inputs. Let me know what you think.

Matt

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
matt
first let me thank you for your service to keep me safe
all the cues you mention are well made and you cant go wrong with whichever you choose
that being said i have been fortunate to own a tasc /gina/and tad
and have hit with a southwest
they feel different
for me its always has been the balance point of the cue and the size of the butt in my hand (no jokes please...:p )
unfortunately you wont know how they feel unless you play with them
however since you are familiar with your mcdermott you may want to measure its specs if you like its feel and try to find a cue with similar specs
regardless whatever you buy you will get used to it over time
i know i havent given you a real answer but your question is one that is difficult for someone else to answer for you
tad/gina/tascarella have long history of excellent playing cues
southwest is somewhat of a cult cue where there are people on both sides of the fence re their playability (stiff hit)
i am not familiar enough with your other choices to comment
fwiw
in my hands tasc ,gina then tad would be my list of preferences
but they were played with OB shafts
pm me if you have questions or if i can help in any other way
larry

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
What cue?/Update from Africa

All I know is any friend of Millers HAS to be a good man. Thanks for your service and good luck with the cue selection. Come around more often.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I've been deployed to Africa for almost six months now and looking forward to coming home. Not only will it be great to be back, but I'm also retiring soon after returning after 20 years in the Air Force.

I try to remind myself to be grateful for the limited comforts we have here (it could ABSOLUTELY be worse), but I'm still ready to get home (and stop living in a tent).

About a month ago, the base actually purchased a 3.5 x 7 pool table, 4 cues (ASKA brand ordered online), some chalk (of the cheapest variety), and a rack to hold the cues. We've messed with it to get it level as possible for being placed IN A TENT, on a WOODEN FLOOR, LOL.

Of course, with the cheap tips and chalk, you literally can't trust a draw shot. If you spend a minute chalking your tip incredibly thoroughly you might not miscue....but center, top, side always works fine. Of course, learning to play the table "lean" is a central part of the game here as well, LOL. Whenever I miscue and get frustrated (which is frequent) I remind myself just to be happy I'm able to hit a ball at all in this austere environment.

I won the base tournament, so kind of neat to think I've won a pool tournament in Africa. (8 Ball...of course)

One young gun is really interested in pool, so I've been sharing one pocket with him and playing quite a few games. It's so interesting to watch his shot selection and educate him on the game. He's got natural hand/eye coordination. This guy is a ping pong monster. He's unbeatable here and says he is the best in the Air Force (and by watching his skill level I don't doubt it). I've got him watching Alex Pagulayan one pocket videos on youtube. I'm sure he will be hooked soon.

So, regarding my question on a cue. Before leaving I've been playing with predator shafts for many years on different butts. My last combination was an old McDermott D21. It plays good....BUT, since I haven't played (not that I really count) in 6 months, I want to buy a nice custom cue that I can marry and grow old with...LOL...and get away from the low deflection products. I want to buy myself something special kind of as a retirement gift. I'm thinking one of the following:

Southwest (I know my buddy Miller plays with one and they hit great)
Josh Treadway (He's a local guy who makes great cues - and I see some available online)
Ginacue (Lou F. let me hit a few balls with his when we played before I left and it had an amazing feel)
TAD (This is probably my number one selection. Always wanted one)
TASCARELLA (Also a top choice - I like the old school aesthetics)

I value your inputs. Let me know what you think.

Matt

Unless you are set on new cue from any of the above, I would look for a cue I could hit with and decide based on that. You can get used to anything but for the kind of $$ the cues on your list are going to cost, I would want to make sure I like the way it plays.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Wish I could give some advice on the cues, but I dont really have any..

I wanted to say thank you for your service though! Glad you get to come home soon!

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
hearing your story reminds me of that army guy that used to play in alot of big straight pool events in the 70s and 80s--anybody recall his name?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Unless you are set on new cue from any of the above, I would look for a cue I could hit with and decide based on that. You can get used to anything but for the kind of $$ the cues on your list are going to cost, I would want to make sure I like the way it plays.

Critical. If he's able to attend an event where a guy like Salazar (used cue peddler) might be, he would then have a way to compare many that feel, sound and play quite differently. Good suggestion John.
There was business owner, Clay in Denver @ Showcase billiards, where E. Martinez started out at. Clay is a great guy, he would let you take ANY cue (he had hundreds) and hit balls on his GC set up. I remember trying 70 of this one brand before I picked the one I liked, it felt right.

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
Thanks for your service, Matt. I did my Air Force time on a mountain top in Eastern Turkey. We had better equipment, but no real players. I saw Joe Salazar a few months back and he is still selling at events in the south. He always has a line of quality used equipment that you can try out. Like others have said, you can adjust to almost anything you buy over time, but I lean toward starting out with something I like before I shell out the cash for a high end product.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
matt....whats up bro....

glad to hear you're heading home. gimme a call when you get settled in.....

early july, josh put one of searing's tips on my playing shaft and i really like it. i'll wait till you get back home and you should run over to his shop with me when he has the time to put one on my spare shaft. we can also run by QB Cues shop if you'd like (can't go wrong with one of those either....), besides, qball and aj are the about the coolest dudes there are and i haven't visited lately (they've done me a couple real solids ;)). i have a couple QB Cues you can take and hit with for a while to see if they're for you. last i knew josh has about a two year waiting list - i got on the list at least a year ago, we can talk to him about you taking my spot if you want one of his.....

i know you've had some rotten luck with cue builders.....i'll vouch for josh and/or qball in a heartbeat.....

looks like there's a 1p tourney at olathe in november. plan on roadtripping with me and kollegdave......

look forward to seeing you stateside my man.....

:)

Renegade_56

Verified Member
Thanks for your service pardner,,,,,,,, and don't pay that kind of money for a cue you can't hit with first,,,,,,, well unless it's the Treadway.

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
First, thanks for your service. You have picked 5 fine cues, Tad, Gina, Tascarella, SW, and Treadway. I am not familiar with Treadway so I can only say he is a well known maker. However, as a collector, I have owned and own many of the others. Similar to the advice John Henderson gave, I think you need to try out each and see which you like best. Realize there are variances within each makers cues because they are custom cues.

Good luck, yor selection will be fun. If you are ever in North Florida, I have plenty of ammo for you to test.

Matt_24

Verified Member
matt....whats up bro....

glad to hear you're heading home. gimme a call when you get settled in.....

early july, josh put one of searing's tips on my playing shaft and i really like it. i'll wait till you get back home and you should run over to his shop with me when he has the time to put one on my spare shaft. we can also run by QB Cues shop if you'd like (can't go wrong with one of those either....), besides, qball and aj are the about the coolest dudes there are and i haven't visited lately (they've done me a couple real solids ;)). i have a couple QB Cues you can take and hit with for a while to see if they're for you. last i knew josh has about a two year waiting list - i got on the list at least a year ago, we can talk to him about you taking my spot if you want one of his.....

i know you've had some rotten luck with cue builders.....i'll vouch for josh and/or qball in a heartbeat.....

looks like there's a 1p tourney at olathe in november. plan on roadtripping with me and kollegdave......

look forward to seeing you stateside my man.....

Can't wait to get back man! I'd love to meet those guys. I've seen some TREADWAY cues for sale by dealers and considering one. I don't want to take your spot though brother, although I appreciate it!

I'm still on the books for two SOUTHWEST cues. I thought they would start THIS year (around Oct) but it'll be one more year, LOL. Almost there. 13 year wait.

I'll hit you up as soon as I get back. Should be late Oct. I've got a place back in my old apartment complex that I loved so much, so I'm happy. We will go play some one pocket. Hopefully see Mr. Brengle and Mr. Figeroa.

Talk soon, my friend.

Matt_24

Verified Member
matt's a great guy and plays pretty sporty when he's in stoke. he's no 14.1 slouch either.....

You're too kind, my friend - but I'm pretty sure everyone will beat me up pretty easily when I get back. But this separation from the U.S. and playing pool has re-ignited my desire to play. Especially since I'm retiring soon and will have more time!

I'm going to get you interested in straight pool! You'll love it "almost" as much.

Matt_24

Verified Member
First, thanks for your service. You have picked 5 fine cues, Tad, Gina, Tascarella, SW, and Treadway. I am not familiar with Treadway so I can only say he is a well known maker. However, as a collector, I have owned and own many of the others. Similar to the advice John Henderson gave, I think you need to try out each and see which you like best. Realize there are variances within each makers cues because they are custom cues.

Good luck, yor selection will be fun. If you are ever in North Florida, I have plenty of ammo for you to test.

Thank you, sir! Greatly appreciated!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If you're a collector, Fine !
If not find a $3/500.00 cue that feels good and get used to it.
Just an old fool's opinion.
P.S. I've owned dozens , some are now expensive, but long gone. Some not.
It's the Indian, not the arrow.

sausage

Suspended

I've been deployed to Africa for almost six months now and looking forward to coming home. Not only will it be great to be back, but I'm also retiring soon after returning after 20 years in the Air Force. Matt

what part of Africa? i sure do wish that our fearless leaders would use the US military only when absolutely necessary.

Muhammad Ali said it best after he whopped on Big George in Zaire: "I'm glad my great-granddady got on that boat". many here in america don't understand how good they have it.

as far as a cue, i shoot with an 80's McCue . i like the wood joint and the lifetime guarantee. i think that "low deflection" is a scam. all cues deflect, the goal is to understand the deflection of your go-to cue.

john Schmidt said that when he changed to a low deflection cue, he was playing horribly and it took him a while to figure out the deflection.