Comments on the One Pocket Rules

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven’t already checked out the OnePocket.org One Pocket Rules, please take a look at http://onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

Your comments and suggestions for improvement would be very welcome. These rules are intended as our rules, not my rules, and all serious suggestions will get serious consideration.

vagabond

Verified Member
From
Interstate 40/or Interstate 10
Not every player....

Not every player....

onepocket said:
If you haven’t already checked out the OnePocket.org One Pocket Rules, please take a look at http://onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

Your comments and suggestions for improvement would be very welcome. These rules are intended as our rules, not my rules, and all serious suggestions will get serious consideration.

Howdy,

I recommend that
(1) the compound/complex sentences used in the rules should be broken down into simple sentences.I believe the rules can be framed ,for most part,without using compound/complex sentences.Any thing that is not written in simple sentences is likely to lead to arguments.
(2) It does not hurt to mention about the choice of ball placement on the apex of the rack.Rules do not prohibit placing 8 ball in the apex.But the players talk about common courtesy/tradition/unwritten code and do not like the 8 to be placed in the Apex.Why can`t this be addressed in the rules? I do not have any problem if my opponent places 8 ball in the apex of the rack.
Cheers
Vagabond

Last edited:

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for your comments so far, including several that have come via email. I will be working on another draft that I hope will reflect your suggestions. Mostly the comments have agreed with the general content of the OnePocket.org rules, with suggestions to:

1 Better separate 'rules' from etiquette
2 Keep the language as simple as possible

Please keep the comments coming -- either here in the forum, or via email
http://onepocket.org/contact_us.htm

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Clarification

Clarification

This is a much-needed project and I applaud you for kicking it off, but some questions come to mind. In your first draft of one-pocket rules, you cite the general rules from WPA and the one-pocket rules from BCA and Grady. Does BCA not have any 'general rules' and does WPA not have any one-pocket rules?

When the final version is prepared, what will be its status? Will it be submitted for the approval of one or both of the above bodies, or will it be an alternate set of rules available for use, when desired, by players or tournament officials?

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Clarification needed.

Clarification needed.

vapros said:
This is a much-needed project and I applaud you for kicking it off, but some questions come to mind. In your first draft of one-pocket rules, you cite the general rules from WPA and the one-pocket rules from BCA and Grady. Does BCA not have any 'general rules' and does WPA not have any one-pocket rules?

When the final version is prepared, what will be its status? Will it be submitted for the approval of one or both of the above bodies, or will it be an alternate set of rules available for use, when desired, by players or tournament officials?
Frozen Ball: Player A is shooting. Player B calls a ball frozen. Player A shoots another ball, legally. Player B then shoots the frozen ball and does not get another rail with the frozen ball. Player A calls a foul, even though he didn't call the ball frozen. Player A states that, once a ball is called frozen by either player, that the ball doesn't need to be called frozen again. Player B says that it has to be called frozen every shot.

Fight ensues, you know the rest....... Who is right?

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
hemicudas said:
Frozen Ball: Player A is shooting. Player B calls a ball frozen. Player A shoots another ball, legally. Player B then shoots the frozen ball and does not get another rail with the frozen ball. Player A calls a foul, even though he didn't call the ball frozen. Player A states that, once a ball is called frozen by either player, that the ball doesn't need to be called frozen again. Player B says that it has to be called frozen every shot.

None of the rules I have seen specify that the frozen designation must be made immediately prior to each shot -- therefore it would be a foul by player B.

From the WPA:
An object ball is not considered frozen to a cushion unless it is examined and announced as such by either the referee or one of the players prior to that object ball being involved in a shot.

It's a great question, though. Do any rule experts out there have an opinion?

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
vapros said:

If you scroll to the bottom of the OnePocket.org rules, there is a link for a 'printable version'. The printable version is actually slightly updated from what is on the Rules web page, and that newer version does refer to the WPA and BCA. The link for the BCA rules was a little confusing, and that is the only reason it was not included at the top of the Rules web page. The BCA rules and the WPA rules are actually supposed to be the very same, although the WPA version seems better organized for some reason. The WPA has no game rules for One Pocket.

As far as the OnePocket.org rules status, the reason a total rewriting was undertaken was because the BCA rules seemed so incomplete they failed to reflect how One Pocket was actually played. Adding notes to the BCA version (to insert additional nuances of the rules) didn't come across well, due to the way the BCA's simple One Pocket rules are organized. The OnePocket.org rules are intended to be laid out in an orderly manner that makes it easy to pinpoint sections in the event a question comes up.

Once the OnePocket.org rules are done? Unless the BCA totally rewrites and expands their One Pocket rules, anyone looking for accurate and complete rules that actually reflect how the game is played should be well served by the OnePocket.org rules. If the BCA 'recoginzed' the OnePocket.org rules at some point, that would be great for OnePocket.org and great for the BCA too.

Thank you for your comments, and please keep them coming!

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
hemicudas said:

In my opinion, player B is correct. It was called frozen prior to player A's shot, but player A chose to shoot another shot. According to the rules, the frozen ball has to be called frozen before a shot 'involving that ball'. Player A didn't involve the frozen ball in his shot and therefore the ball would need to be called 'frozen' again by either player before it is involved in a/the shot.
Who won the fight ?

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Pete The Heat.

Pete The Heat.

Smorgass Bored said:
In my opinion, player B is correct. It was called frozen prior to player A's shot, but player A chose to shoot another shot. According to the rules, the frozen ball has to be called frozen before a shot 'involving that ball'. Player A didn't involve the frozen ball in his shot and therefore the ball would need to be called 'frozen' again by either player before it is involved in a/the shot.
Who won the fight ?
Actually an off duty pool playing cop called "Pete The Heat" broke up the fight, lol.