C. Bryant vs. S. Daulton 2006 D.C.C. #2

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
The.....

The.....

.......obvious would be to cut the 14 if you can.You can follow the 15 down to the end rail.Thats looking quick as I have to run,cheers,Bob

Skin

Verified Member
I'm going for something here. I'll bank that solid on the head rail and see if I can get a shot on the 14 next from about (below) the first diamond above his side pocket. If I can get that alright, I'll play for a bank on the 9 or cut on the 7 (foot rail) afterwards.

Skin

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
go for it

go for it

I think you have to shoot the 14 here. The cue ball caroms of the 15 and goes down to the end rail, leaving it safe even if you hang the 14.

bstroud

Verified Member
If the cut is not on for some reason shoot the 13 into the 2 ball and draw the cue ball off the side rail up to the end rail.

Bill Stroud

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would cut the 14 only if I was pretty sure I could make it. Otherwise I would kick softly, one-rail into the 9. If I hit it good, I will add it to the groupl on the long rail. That would be a positive result. Not spectacular, but positive. Better than just treading water.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
although the cut on the 14?? is an option if makeable
and the bank on the 5?? is next
im intrigued with this shot
but with out being at the table i cant really tell where all the balls would go
if laying right you would clear ALOT of balls from his side and get them to your side and put him froze on the 8 could be good
could be a sell out based on double kisses and leaving a shot he could see to cut in his hole
need to be there to be sure but ill throw this out as a shot that you all can critique
cc1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Assuming that the 14 ball isn't a viable option, (for what ever reasons) I think you should bank the 5 ball and drag the cue ball across the top rail, utilizing the balls in the center of the table as blockers for the 5 ball. Another option I would consider is to shoot the 14 ball two cushions behind the 9 ball with speed taking both the 14 and 9 balls away and possibly sending a couple balls toward my side. This shot should be hit with a draw stroke sending the cue ball to the side rail and then to the bottom rail, adjacent to the 7 ball. Your close enough to the 14 ball to hit this shot accurately, which cuts down considerably the difficulties with the shot. Cue ball control will be at a premium with this option, if you get my drift.

But my first choice would be the 5 ball bank, this shot applies pressure on Daulton, which could consequently lead to good things for Charlie.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Dr. Bill, lemme insert my own observation here. The 5 ball, of course, is an excellent bank opportunity, and most of us could make it or leave it very close to the pocket. However, I would not like to see Shannon come to the table with the cue ball in the upper left corner. He will come off the 10-3-6 cluster and solve a problem there, and leave the cue ball just about anyplace he wants it, around my pocket, maybe even making or moving the 5 ball that I was so careful to leave there. Critique, please, and thanks.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dr. Bill, lemme insert my own observation here. The 5 ball, of course, is an excellent bank opportunity, and most of us could make it or leave it very close to the pocket. However, I would not like to see Shannon come to the table with the cue ball in the upper left corner. He will come off the 10-3-6 cluster and solve a problem there, and leave the cue ball just about anyplace he wants it, around my pocket, maybe even making or moving the 5 ball that I was so careful to leave there. Critique, please, and thanks.

In order for Daulton to do what you say may be available, both the cue ball and the 5 ball will have to end up pretty much in a exact position for your shot to be available. Plus he must defend against the cross corner bank on the 9 ball.

If you would be kind enough to show the position you're talking about, I would like to discuss it further with you, and all that would be interested. But i'm sorry I can't visualize what position, or what type of positions you're afraid of, in regard to the return options off the 5 ball bank.

Keep in mind when i'm banking the 5 ball i'm dragging the cue ball across the top rail, staying as close to the top rail as possible. I figure to travel to around the diamond before the pocket with the shot (cue ball) really can't see what good options Daulton will have from there.:confused: The strength with the 5 ball bank option is controlling both the 5 ball and the cue ball, leaving the 5 ball as close to the pocket as possible while keeping the cue ball as close to the top rail as possible. Naturally you would like to travel as far west as you can with the cue ball, but the shot should not be compromised with only that thought in mind. Try to envision the cue ball ending up 6" to 10" to the left of the center diamond, from there what can Daulton do to Charlie to put him in trouble?

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think you have to shoot the 14 here. The cue ball caroms of the 15 and goes down to the end rail, leaving it safe even if you hang the 14.

I agree with your observation, but if the angle on the 14 ball is a steep one you won't be able to control the cue ball where you say you would like to end up. Plus the shot will be a difficult one. If you opt to shoot the 14 ball from this position, and the angle is too steep of one to control the cue ball imo you must then disregard the cue ball and play all 14 ball.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
although the cut on the 14?? is an option if makeable
and the bank on the 5?? is next
im intrigued with this shot
but with out being at the table i cant really tell where all the balls would go
if laying right you would clear ALOT of balls from his side and get them to your side and put him froze on the 8 could be good
could be a sell out based on double kisses and leaving a shot he could see to cut in his hole
need to be there to be sure but ill throw this out as a shot that you all can critique
View attachment 5759
I like your thinking here, but your landing spot for the cue ball is not large enough for this option to be appealing. Too many things can go wrong with the shot. You could possibly leave a shot on the 2 ball or a shot on another ball if you happen to go a little forward with the cue ball. Plus a kissing ball may hit either the 8 ball or cue ball, then your out of business. Look for a landing spot with these kind of shots that offer more protection, for the cue ball.

Larry, look at post#3 in the other Bryant/Daulton thread and compare the difference in the ending positions with the cue ball for both Rodney's shot there and your shot here. Look at the cue ball as you would look at your money, in terms of protecting it. With Roney's shot the cue ball would be like putting your money in a lock box in Bank Of America, while your cue balls final position would look like to me as you putting your money in a piggy bank on top of Freddies fridge.:eek: JK Fred.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm going for something here. I'll bank that solid on the head rail and see if I can get a shot on the 14 next from about (below) the first diamond above his side pocket. If I can get that alright, I'll play for a bank on the 9 or cut on the 7 (foot rail) afterwards.

Skin
Your shot is only good if you are a favorite to make the bank, don't forget that Daulton will be close to the balls on his side and playing a shot from that position will be probably something he will like. I would have to be very comfortable with the bank to play your shot:eek: Think more cue ball from this position, imo. Especially playing a top player.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Sad to say, it's been too long since I tried to make my own diagram, and I guess Larry has spoiled me, so I can't seem to get this one. But looking at the picture, if I leave the 5 ball near my pocket and protect it with one or both of the striped balls, I will have to drag my stone nearly to the upper left pocket. Else, the 5 ball will be exposed. I am trying to predict what Shannon can do for himself from the upper left corner, and I think it will be the three ball cluster on his long rail, which he must address sometime. He can play off the 3 or the 10, perhaps rail first, taking the cue ball into Charlie's corner. The 9 ball bank may or may not be still available after that. Much would depend on exactly where the 5 ball is resting.

If we conclude that my shot is reaching too far, then we still have to consider what Shannon might do instead. I'm not sure I should leave him uptable at all.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Sad to say, it's been too long since I tried to make my own diagram, and I guess Larry has spoiled me, so I can't seem to get this one. But looking at the picture, if I leave the 5 ball near my pocket and protect it with one or both of the striped balls, I will have to drag my stone nearly to the upper left pocket. Else, the 5 ball will be exposed.

I like playing that bank long thereby moving the cb over easier. I would try to hook him from the balls in front of his hole with that stripe near shannons side and leabe the 5 close to my hole. If you get a ball close to your hole here, and the way those ball lie for shannon (can leave him upper left) this would be a very strong position. I absolutely love it when the guy cant make balls when he is up there, and I feel like i've won a lot of games like that..... but it is true, shannon could fire at something and run out -- putting that 5 in front puts some serious heat on him though. The other shot is just to all out fire at the bank and move whitey way over, which i like too.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Sad to say, it's been too long since I tried to make my own diagram, and I guess Larry has spoiled me, so I can't seem to get this one. But looking at the picture, if I leave the 5 ball near my pocket and protect it with one or both of the striped balls, I will have to drag my stone nearly to the upper left pocket. Else, the 5 ball will be exposed. I am trying to predict what Shannon can do for himself from the upper left corner, and I think it will be the three ball cluster on his long rail, which he must address sometime. He can play off the 3 or the 10, perhaps rail first, taking the cue ball into Charlie's corner. The 9 ball bank may or may not be still available after that. Much would depend on exactly where the 5 ball is resting.

If we conclude that my shot is reaching too far, then we still have to consider what Shannon might do instead. I'm not sure I should leave him uptable at all.
This position obviously favors Daulton, plus it's a very threatening position for Bryant. The way I see it the urgency is there to either challenge it (going up table)or trying to change it by either shooting the 14 ball or moving balls from his side, immediately. I like challenging it because you can win with this option, if executed well. Plus Daulton can't look to play aggressively from the position I put him in.

There's a certain amount of gamble in everything we do, and it holds true here, in this position as well. If you're looking for a guarantee you're not going to get one here, there's no iron clad solution to this problem Charlie has.:( I say challenge him and take your chances from there.

Dr. Bill