Tournament times

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I was just reading one of the Journal entries by Youngstown kid about the difficulty of running one pocket tournaments.
I have seen what happens when you have one or two people who play so slow it ruins the whole thing.
I haven't been out and about much in the last few years so I was wondering if anyone had tried a time limit?
That way, you could at least know the longest the tournament would last, and make plans accordingly.
For example, you play 3 games and you have 2 hours to complete them.
That's plenty for 90% of people. {in fact it could probably be lowered but for the sake of argument , lets go with 2 hours}.
With a field of 60 players you start the tournament at 9 am , it is over at 9 Pm maybe a little later because of decisions on certain matches, but even an extra hour isn't bad.
It's all over in one day and people who work can get some sleep.
If you haven't finished 3 games the tournament director calls time and whoever is ahead at that moment wins.
Anyone who shoots after time is called forfeits.
Any ties you flip a coin and winner goes on.
Shorten the races 10 minutes and you can play a field of 128.
This has probably been done before, it's too simple not to have been tried. but what do you guys think?
Smart players are going to be watching the clock and if they are behind with short time , will shoot at something rather than clock death so I doubt there are many ties.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I played the owner of a room in Minneapolis, we kept the games moving along playing six games in two hours. That’s a pretty decent pace although I’ve played plenty of games against other players that one game lasted over an hour. Tough to gage a race to three especially in a tournament.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I’ve pondered a lot about time limits, but my idea was set a 2 hr time limit in a race to 3. If the end is not in sight by 1 hr 45 minutes a Sudden Death flip for the break ends it with the most balls pocketed in 15 min.
Or How about a short rack of nine balls race to 3?
Just my thoughts~T

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Fair Play

Fair Play

It angers me to watch players pulling cheap moves and being cheesy when they play pool.
I want to win as much as anyone alive, but I would rather my opponent play great as well as me, than to try to cheat or shark or do something dishonorable while playing.
I have no problem telling someone they should climb out of the gutter when they play like that either.
That is why I feel the need to mention something I saw at the Derby this year.
Two very good players are battling back and forth over out of the main arena, the younger guy is in a trap and runs out from nowhere with a great out, his opponent says great out and they start playing game number two.
During the great out ,a guy that was stocking the bar walked right into the guys line of sight from behind a door and he had to get up from the shot. It wasn't intentional but could have been devastating.
After he ran out the worker walked past again and the opponent said, "have you met my brother"!
Pretty funny.
Game number two, the guy who won game number one is ahead in the ball count, and is down shooting a tough but free shot that probably wins him the game and his opponent holds up his hand and stops the stocking guy from walking in his line of sight again.
The guy makes that ball and another I think and gets funny on the next shot and now the other guy makes a great out from nowhere and they are tied.
The guy who stopped the worker from possibly sharking the younger player was Mark Jarvis.
I was pleasantly surprised that a player of his calibre, still had the sense of fair play, that he exhibited throughout their match.
The other guy could have just as easily won so it wasn't like he let a sucker get a break knowing he would still win.
Good on you Mr. Jarvis, like I said at the time.
It was a battle well fought, by both players, and I enjoyed it immensely.