One Pocket Hall of Fame

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Since it could be said that only two or three members of the BCA Hall of Fame are in there based primarily on their One Pocket game – those being Larry Johnson, Eddie Kelly and perhaps Eddie Taylor – that leaves out a whole lot of great One Pocket players and perhaps a couple of worthy promoters as well. Of course, there are others in the BCA HOF mainly based on their success outside of One Pocket, that OnePocket.org has already counted in the One Pocket Hall of Fame, those being: Buddy Hall, Efren Reyes, Nick Varner and Minnesota Fats. That is a total of seven players in the BCA Hall of Fame that have a strong connection to One Pocket, and well deserve recognition in a One Pocket Hall of Fame.

Yet there are so many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored. That’s what OnePocket.org is trying to do here. Since there are so many great candidates, this isn’t going to happen overnight. It will take a little time, a little homework, and a little support from you to be successful.

You are invited to use this nominations thread to suggest additional names and comment on the candidates that others suggest. At some point a list of 10 candidates will be placed into the first annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this first group of nominees, and why should they be among the first group of candidates to add to the One Pocket Hall of Fame?

Last edited:

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
I am pleased to see that you are doing this. Here are some suggested names:
Hayden Lingo - Generally considered to be one of the inventors of One Pocket and perhaps the greatest player ever.
Glen "The Eufaula Kid" Womack - One of the first great defenders of the game. A true "kicking" artist.
Marcel Camp - Played everything well, but especially One Pocket.
Eddie Taylor - You mentioned him already
Ronnie Allen - Nobody could beat Ronnie for money.
Bugs Rucker - Perhaps the best Bank Pool player ever and as good a One Pocket player in the world.
Jersey Red - A real warrior. Definitely belongs in the HOF.
Grady Mathews - What the heck. I've earned a spot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Damn right you would earn a spot, Grady -- except you might have to "more or less retire" to be eligible, and something tells you might not be quite ready to retire!! However, with all you've accomplished as a player, a promoter, a commentator, and a teacher, your contributions to One Pocket are absolutely second to none, that's for sure!!!

Grady said:
Hayden Lingo - Generally considered to be one of the inventors of One Pocket and perhaps the greatest player ever.
Glen "The Eufaula Kid" Womack - One of the first great defenders of the game. A true "kicking" artist.
Bugs Rucker - Perhaps the best Bank Pool player ever and as good a One Pocket player in the world.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
NH Steve said:
Damn right you would earn a spot, Grady -- except you might have to "more or less retire" to be eligible, and something tells you might not be quite ready to retire!! However, with all you've accomplished as a player, a promoter, a commentator, and a teacher, your contributions to One Pocket are absolutely second to none, that's for sure!!!
My apologies, Grady, I just assumed retirement was a criteria for eligility, but that certainly hasn't been the case with the BCA, and isn't mentioned in OnePocket.org either.

I have a couple more nominations to add:
The Jansco Brothers -- Their hugely successful Hustler's Jamboree tournaments were the first big events to bring One Pocket into the limelight, and certainly prompted the BCA's first recognition of the game. At least one of their events actually made ABC's Wide World of Sports, putting One Pocket on TV (even if ever so briefly) for the first time.
Steve Cook -- Steve is one of the very few players to win one of the Jansco events, and then go on to win one of major Legends of One Pocket events of the 90's. He certainly played top level One Pocket for quite a few years, and it was a darn shame to lose him so young.

Will Sendit

Grady said:

Grady,

For the record sir you EARNED your spot LONG before three of those listed in the hall of fame page . Also, I second those mentioned above by yourself and those listed as others deserving recogniton on the HOF page.

Ones I might throw in the hat:
Jose Parica- Have learned more watching Jose than just about anyone!

Cliff Joyner- Although still young, Cliff's name comes into any conversation concerning the best one-pocket players today.

Jack Cooney- One of the best movers on earth. Great traps!

Allen Hopkins- Why does everyone forget Allen?

Gary and Joey Spaeth- Gary banked like God and would "come with it" like a rare few "Great imagination". Joey- been told was super solid and a surgeon with the rock.

Clem Metz- Speaking of Joey, how about Clem. Some say played better than Joey.

Shannon Daulton- Young, but has been playing champion speed for years.

Those who remained sneaky and silent; Vernon Elliot, Mike Shaffer <sp> W. Va., I'm sure you know Vernon but have you ever seen Mike play?

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Here's a name for your list.

Here's a name for your list.

Grady said:

I totally agree, Grady. You belong on any list of greatest one pocket players ever. But, in Chicago in the 70s Bugs wasn't the only one pocket player living there. Many players who passed on playing Bugs made the mistake of trying Kenny Rhomberg or Artie Bodendorfer. Freddy the Beard hit um pretty well too, as you can attest................$Bill

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
There seem to be two main types of potential candidates that could be included in the first OnePocket.org One Pocket Hall of Fame vote, so the right thing to do seems to have two categories, each with a separate 'ballot'.

The first annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot:

Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen
Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit
Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker
Grady Mathews
Steve Cook
Danny diLiberto
Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter
Allen Hopkins
Jack Cooney
Freddie 'The Beard' Bentivegna
Jose Parica
Vernon Elliot

While younger players like Shannon Daulton and Cliff Joyner are off to a great start in their One Pocket careers, I'm inclined to give the full spotlight of attention to the more senior players at this time -- for the younger players, their time will certainly come!

An additional One Pocket heritage ballot, including names that might not be recognized by younger players, because these are the players that dominated earlier generations of players, or perhaps taught the game to our more senior players. This group could include names such as (in no particular order):

Hayden Lingo
Glen 'The Eufaula Kid' Womack
Marcel Camp
Clem Metz
Artie Bodendorfer
'Big Nose' Roberts
The Jansco Brothers
Don Willis
Kenny Rhomberg
Joey Spaeth

If you think any of these names are in the wrong group, please comment and enlighten us! If you have any names to add, please submit them and tell us about them!!

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Eddie "Knoxville Bear" Taylor

Eddie "Knoxville Bear" Taylor

onepocket said:
There seem to be two main types of potential candidates that could be included in the first OnePocket.org One Pocket Hall of Fame vote, so the right thing to do seems to have two categories, each with a separate 'ballot'.

The first annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot:

Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen
Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit
Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker
Grady Mathews
Steve Cook
Danny diLiberto
Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter
Allen Hopkins
Jack Cooney
Freddie 'The Beard' Bentivegna
Jose Parica
Vernon Elliot

While younger players like Shannon Daulton and Cliff Joyner are off to a great start in their One Pocket careers, I'm inclined to give the full spotlight of attention to the more senior players at this time -- for the younger players, their time will certainly come!

An additional One Pocket heritage ballot, including names that might not be recognized by younger players, because these are the players that dominated earlier generations of players, or perhaps taught the game to our more senior players. This group could include names such as (in no particular order):

Hayden Lingo
Glen 'The Eufaula Kid' Womack
Marcel Camp
Clem Metz
Artie Bodendorfer
'Big Nose' Roberts
The Jansco Brothers
Don Willis
Kenny Rhomberg
Joey Spaeth

If you think any of these names are in the wrong group, please comment and enlighten us! If you have any names to add, please submit them and tell us about them!!
Eddie Taylor is not on either list. MISTAKE!!!!!!!,,,,,,It looked like you were only listing players that were NOT in the BCA HOF but on further examination I found Allen Hopkins who is in the BCA HOF.....But,,,I love what you are doing here Onepocket. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$Bill

Last edited:

yobagua

I think you'd have to put Weenie Beenie Bill Staton in there. If not for the fact he kept the game alive while pool was going downhill with his 24 hours action spot Jack & Jill and how he supported a lot of broke one hole players. He was also a hell of a match player himself. I saw him take down Ronnie Allen at the Stardust in the 70's.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
hemicudas said:
Eddie Taylor is not on either list. MISTAKE!!!!!!!,,,,,,It looked like you were only listing players that were NOT in the BCA HOF but on further examination I found Allen Hopkins who is in the BCA HOF.....But,,,I love what you are doing here Onepocket. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$Bill
Many people certainly think Allen Hopkins belongs in the BCA Hall of Fame, yet he is actually not in there -- yet. Some might say there is a little politics invloved, because of Allen's very successful Super Billiards Expo, which could be seen as offering a little competition for the BCA's own trade show. Allen saw an opportunity to create a show that is more retail oriented, and many of the cuemakers and other vendors seem to like that approach, maybe even more than the BCA 'trade' oriented approach -- who knows. To my mind, Allen's show is yet another reason he should be in the BCA HOF -- there are very few successful players that have gone on to be so successful in contributing to pool in other ways like he has, IMO.

In anycase, Eddie Taylor is included as one of the seven honorary members of the One Pocket HOF by virtue of his induction into the BCA HOF, along with his obvious One Pocket connection. The other six BCA HOF members with a strong One Pocket connection are:
Boston Shorty
Eddie Kelly
Buddy Hall
Nick Varner
Efren Reyes
Fats

Which explains why none of them are in either list too...

ajrack

Verified Member
From
Vancouver USA
Lotsa good ideas

Lotsa good ideas

I think the best list to start with about ten to fifteen and then add up to three per year...
My list...not necessarily in any order...

Ronnie Allen
Jersey Red
Shorty Johnson
Steve Cook

Eddie Taylor
Ed Kelly

other possibles...
I played "Daddy Warbucks" in the back room at the Stardust in Vegas and he made one of the greatest jump shots out of a 'perfect trap"...I was lucky to split games but what a great match, (and I never get tired of setting up the shot and showing it).

Squirrel
Joey Spaeth
Weenie Beenie
The Janscos
Bugs

...lostsa people currently may think of Toby in Vegas because he is known as a gambler but Hopkins gave him 9>7 and Allen made it NO CONTEST!
...many younger players to list but they must last for awhile.
...because there are not a lot of one pocket tourneys around right now, Efren and Jose are not considered often because they are seen playing a lot of nine ball

...note...
and "GRADY"...
I don't think you must be out of the game for a few years to be voted in...maybe you should appreciate the honor and still be around to enjoy it. Remember, us pool players have a longer competition life than most other sports.

Just a few to get it started....

yobagua

well if that is the case then Grady deserves to be there. No one can match Grady for all the events G.M. has produced. They might not have been as commercial as Hopkin's but the most productive for the game and it's players.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red

What about Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge as a candidate? I don't know if he won any major One Pocket events, although I believe he had a second in a Johnston City or Stardust, as well as a second in Grady's Super event in the mid 90's. He was certainly a high roller, especially during the heydey of the Detroit pool action period -- at least according to his own book :). I know some other players don't speak very kindly of him, but certainly he was a strong One Pocket player, with a strong personal presence, like him or not.

If there was a New England One Pocket Hall of Fame, I would definitely put the late Larry Lisciotti in (along with Boston Shorty of course), and my own personal favorite (because he was the guy I learned the most from myself): Bob Ingersol, who died about 5 years ago or so. He was just a notch below Shorty -- and maybe smarter, though not quite the player Shorty was. The thing for me was, Shorty seemed to have forgotten a lot of what he knew about One Pocket as he got older, when I was starting to learn the game, whereas 'Ingie' seemed never to have forgotten anything -- his eyesight just declined. Ingie also didn't travel like Shorty did, so he wouldn't be known much outside the area. I'd venture to say that Shorty wouldn't have been the player he was if not for what he learned from Ingie, as well...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame

Hey Steve, my brother....I have to strongly disagree with you on one of your one pocket hall of fame nominees. That would be Freddy Bentivegna...I've known/seen Freddys game for the past 35 years and at his best, 30 years ago, he was an excellent one pocket player, but not hall of fame caliber. There are many, many players that would go on the ballot ahead of Freddy - Miami, Mexican Johnny, Cornbread Red, Billy Incardona and Marvin Henderson come to mind, to name a few. This defines Freddys best one pocket speed and my analysis : When he was playing his best and betting high 30 years ago, he needed 2 balls from Bugs and from Artie Bogendorfer....I rest my case.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Agree Ghost

Agree Ghost

One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Steve, my brother....I have to strongly disagree with you on one of your one pocket hall of fame nominees. That would be Freddy Bentivegna...I've known/seen Freddys game for the past 35 years and at his best, 30 years ago, he was an excellent one pocket player, but not hall of fame caliber. There are many, many players that would go on the ballot ahead of Freddy - Miami, Mexican Johnny, Cornbread Red, Billy Incardona and Marvin Henderson come to mind, to name a few. This defines Freddys best one pocket speed and my analysis : When he was playing his best and betting high 30 years ago, he needed 2 balls from Bugs and from Artie Bogendorfer....I rest my case.
Having lived in the Chicago area from 1979 to1999, I saw all the top One Pocket players there and you are correct Ghost. Freddy was a hell of a One Pocket player but, Leonard "Bugs" Rucker, Artie Bodendorfer and Kenny "Rhomberg" Remus all played better than Freddy. Those were the only 3 that had the nuts. And, on a given day Freddy was capable of beating all of them.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
I'm familiar with Cornbread and Incardona, as well as Bugs and Artie, but tell me more about Miami, Mexican Johnny and Marvin Henderson -- I'm not familiar with them. Another Chicago old-time player that I have heard mentioned, but has not been brought up here is Gene Skinner. I'm assuming the names you mentioned were 'old-timers', but of course could be wrong about that too. Tell us more...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
NH Steve said:
I'm familiar with Cornbread and Incardona, as well as Bugs and Artie, but tell me more about Miami, Mexican Johnny and Marvin Henderson -- I'm not familiar with them. Another Chicago old-time player that I have heard mentioned, but has not been brought up here is Gene Skinner. I'm assuming the names you mentioned were 'old-timers', but of course could be wrong about that too. Tell us more...
I am not familiar with Miami, but played Mexican Johnny & Marvin Henderson in CA years ago. I was a good shortstop at best, and both of these guys beat me, but I wouldn't put them in the class of the other players mentioned in this post. I played Marvin several years before I played Johnny, and never saw them play on their home turf, but I believe Marvin was the better player of the two. I never did play Cornbread, but did play Incardona with some weight in Bellfower a few years back, and while he is a very good player and maybe one of the best for big $$, not quite good enough for my hall of Fame List.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
On AZBilliards, I asked McCready who he thought were the top 5 one pocket players of all time, and he listed Mike Carella as one of them, along with Eddie Kelly, Eddie Taylor, Ronnie Allen, and Grady.

I don't know anything about Mike Carella, but Keith puts him among pretty distinguished company. Apparently he was killed a while back.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
BackPocket9Ball said:
On AZBilliards, I asked McCready who he thought were the top 5 one pocket players of all time, and he listed Mike Carella as one of them, along with Eddie Kelly, Eddie Taylor, Ronnie Allen, and Grady.

I don't know anything about Mike Carella, but Keith puts him among pretty distinguished company. Apparently he was killed a while back.
There have been quite a few very, very great pool talents over the years, that for one reason or other -- injury, untimely death, substance abuse or abandonment of the game -- didn't leave quite the long term mark on pool that they might have, given the kind of incredible talent they had. I'm not sure if Mike Carella falls into that category, but he certainly is spoken of among the very best when he was at his peak.
I'd like to hear more about him, if anyone can add anything...