John McNicolas

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Met this guy at the pool hall tonight who knew the lion logo from chicago... He wanted to give a shout out to the guys in Red Shoes... Said most would know his dad, although he told me John Lavin would recognize that they called him LiL John... Freddy he definitely wanted to play nine ball but not one pocket... after he watched me play in a 10 ball ring game he changed his mind... nice kid, polite, had some good stories, wish i didn't have to come home so early but duty calls early in the morning...

Bille

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Well, if you see "Lil John"....you tell him Lavin says "HEY"....Here is a story about "Lil John" that happened over 20+ years ago....I and 3 other players were going to play in a 9 Ball Tournament in Wisconsin (Madison I think).... "Lil John" asked to asked to go....so even though he was only 12 (13 maybe), he was showing "promise" as a player. So now there is 5 of us total in the car...4 Chicago killers and a 12 year old kid (who looked like he was being held against his will in the back of my car). It was a $40 or $50 entry fee Tournament. Lil John played in the tournament but got knocked out early. As I'm playing....John comes over to me and asks for a quarter (25 cents)....I give him the quarter, thinking he is going to get gum. 12-15 hours later the tournament is over. I know I didn't win but finished 5-6th (or something like that) for $150 payout. Now were back in the car and we are all "calculating" how we did for the day heading home. The other "players" finished in the money also BUT did not "Win". Then "Lil John" chimes in and says...."Well I have about $200 in cash and this cue stick"....Now this kid was DEAD BUST at 3:00 PM....now it is 6:00 AM and he has the cue and this bankroll????? HOW??? He took the quarter I gave him and challenged a bar table (The room had both 9 foot tables and 7 foot coin op. bar tables) where the guy is playing $1...9 ball. He (with no other money on him...not even enough to re-challenge the table) WINS $7 off the guy....with the $7 in his pocket....he gets in a $2 nine ball ring game taking place on another table....and WINS $20 after a few hours.....Now with the $27 in cash...he gets in a big table 9 ball ring game with 5 players playing $5 and $10 (on the 5 and 9)...after 10 plus hours he is up a TOTAL of $320....He buys a cue from "Willie Munson" for $120...he now has a new cue and $200 in cash AND did better than the other "killers" in the car.....I don't remember if he ever gave me my quarter back...LOL

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Well, if you see "Lil John"....you tell him Lavin says "HEY"....Here is a story about "Lil John" that happened over 20+ years ago....I and 3 other players were going to play in a 9 Ball Tournament in Wisconsin (Madison I think).... "Lil John" asked to asked to go....so even though he was only 12 (13 maybe), he was showing "promise" as a player. So now there is 5 of us total in the car...4 Chicago killers and a 12 year old kid (who looked like he was being held against his will in the back of my car). It was a $40 or $50 entry fee Tournament. Lil John played in the tournament but got knocked out early. As I'm playing....John comes over to me and asks for a quarter (25 cents)....I give him the quarter, thinking he is going to get gum. 12-15 hours later the tournament is over. I know I didn't win but finished 5-6th (or something like that) for $150 payout. Now were back in the car and we are all "calculating" how we did for the day heading home. The other "players" finished in the money also BUT did not "Win". Then "Lil John" chimes in and says...."Well I have about $200 in cash and this cue stick"....Now this kid was DEAD BUST at 3:00 PM....now it is 6:00 AM and he has the cue and this bankroll????? HOW??? He took the quarter I gave him and challenged a bar table (The room had both 9 foot tables and 7 foot coin op. bar tables) where the guy is playing $1...9 ball. He (with no other money on him...not even enough to re-challenge the table) WINS $7 off the guy....with the $7 in his pocket....he gets in a $2 nine ball ring game taking place on another table....and WINS $20 after a few hours.....Now with the $27 in cash...he gets in a big table 9 ball ring game with 5 players playing $5 and $10 (on the 5 and 9)...after 10 plus hours he is up a TOTAL of $320....He buys a cue from "Willie Munson" for $120...he now has a new cue and $200 in cash AND did better than the other "killers" in the car.....I don't remember if he ever gave me my quarter back...LOL

That is hilarious and why we love pool.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I played on several league teams and tournemants with Lil John, Howard Mazon, Shad Zordzy (RIP) and Pistol Pete. He is by far one of the most entertaining guys I have ever played pool with. If you see him again, tell him Matt Hilton says hello.