A One-pocket conundrum...................

Mike Haines

Verified Member
There was an argument in the pool hall recently, and it will take a one pocket guru to give an answer.

Pick a pocket behind the spot in a one pocket game. That is your opponents pocket. He has just shot a ball at his hole but did not make it. It buried itself deep in the pocket, however, and cant be dislodged. The cue ball ended up on the long rail toward the head string on the same side of the table.

Now it is your turn, and you shoot the cue ball either to pocket the ball or follow it in the pocket. Before the cue ball reaches your opponents ball, the ball falls into the pocket, and your cue ball also scratches right behind it without making contact. The ball fell into your opponents pocket and then you scratched in the same pocket. The two players begin to squabble over what the solution might be.

Is there an answer that is covered in the official one-pocket rule book? If not, what would your opinion be as to how this is handled?

Everyone thinks they have an answer.

Mike Haines

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fortunately just about this very scenario is covered pretty specifically in the General Rules for pocket Billiards
BCA Standard Rules said:
3.31 BALLS MOVING SPONTANEOUSLY
If a ball shifts, settles, turns or otherwise moves “by itself,” the ball shall remain in the position it assumed and play continues. A hanging ball that falls into a pocket “by itself” after being motionless for 5 seconds or longer shall be replaced as closely as possible to its position prior to falling, and play shall continue. If an object ball drops into a pocket “by itself” as a player shoots at it, so that the cue ball passes over the spot the ball had been on, unable to hit it, the cue ball and object ball are to be replaced to their positions prior to the stroke, and the player may shoot again. Any other object balls disturbed on the stroke are also to be replaced to their original positions before the shooter replays.
In our One Pocket rules, we have by and large left the 'general rules' issues to the standard international rules (BCA), so we could keep the One Pocket rules a little shorter, and so that our rules would 'fit in' with the standard rules.

How's that?

Mike Haines

Verified Member
I like your reply!!

I like your reply!!

I think your reply and the rules seem pretty clear. I often read BDigest and they go over situations where events occur and there are not any rules that apply or the rules are ambiguous and dont address the question. If this were straight pool or nine ball, I would have known what to do but in one pocket I guess they have "overs" where you just shoot again.

Thanks

Mike Haines

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Happened to me...

Happened to me...

Mike, that situation actually came up with me and my opponent in a 1P cash game several months back. The other guy was going to shoot a hard draw shot at a ball hanging in the jaws of his hole. Just as he fired, the ball toppled into his pocket, and the CB went smacking in after it. Both of our mouths dropped open, then there was a few seconds silence. THEN we wondered what to do. I couldn't recall the rule, but I wasn't going to let him get any advantage out of the situation. Anyway, after a few minute's argument, we finally decided to replay the rack. The actual rule, as y'all have mentioned above, is a much better solution.

Doc