Mike Surber

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bill said:
Mike and I go back a long, long way. Before Biloxi Mike though he was Shorty from Arlington, Shorty from Jack and Jill's to be precise. Shorty and I were both kids with solid aspirations of becoming the players that we would see so often at Beanie's. Open 24 hrs so many world class players would past thru Jack and Jill's and Shorty and I would take it in - and I mean all in. We talked, breathed, and lived pool. We played each other cheap so that we could hone our games imitating the last champion we had just witnessed play. We would play nine ball and tons of one pocket. He was always a very, very good player.
I enjoyed reading your post, Bill. This is the first I've heard of Mike being called "Shorty" at Jack & Jills. Mike told me several stories about his "education" at the legendary Arlington pool room. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to visit the room.

Mike was very important to all of us pool players here on the Gulf Coast-- as he was to many others. I wish you could have been to his memorial to share some of the stories.

JAM has started a website about Mike, hoping it to be a repository of news and history: www.mikesurber.com

There is also a pretty good continuing thread on AZbilliards about the progress of Mike's case. The latest I've heard is that Mike's brother and several others are interested in getting a reward fund started. If that happens, hopefully it'll give a little incentive for someone to come forward.

Doc