J. Gray vs. S.V.B. 2012 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Despite the fact that Gray has no coin by his pocket yet, the score this game is -1 to -1. Both players are on one foul.

It's Gray's shot. What would you do?

jg1.jpg

jg2.jpg

jg3.jpg

jg5.jpg

jg4.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
I would kick 3 rails to hit the side rail behind the 2 ball.

What a tough spot.

I had Scott in a similar situation and that is what he did.
Hit it perfect and left me no shot.

Bill S.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I would kick 3 rails to hit the side rail behind the 2 ball.

What a tough spot.

I had Scott in a similar situation and that is what he did.
Hit it perfect and left me no shot.

Bill S.

That is the first shot I saw and maybe the best. The other one was to bank the one and draw whitie back into the stack.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
There doesn't seem to be room for the 3 rail. I'd try to get as near as possible to the 1 ball and us a little more than 1/2 ferrule of English and hope for the best. :)
Rod.
P.S. 1/2 ferrule gets me to the pocket. I'd guess one tip of English is different for everyone.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
BRUTAL spot.. I think I would bank the 1 ball and draw back and try to freeze to the 14 ball. Im mainly playing cue ball here and hoping to get a better chance to escape next inning.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Tough Spot

Tough Spot

I would play the cue ball off the 1 and try to leave it near the top right corner pocket (close to the long rail about 1 diamond up from the corner pocket). The 15 doesn't look to go so it leaves a combination. Either way, as long as he doesn't have a shot on the 6, you should get a better look at the table next inning.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
nudge the 14 into play on my side, keep the Qball locked up , taking my second foul....If he takes a second my next play will most likely be either bank the 1 , or kick at the balls in his area or play a carom off a ball up to the top right corner....
Make him run 10....

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
nudge the 14 into play on my side, keep the Qball locked up , taking my second foul....If he takes a second my next play will most likely be either bank the 1 , or kick at the balls in his area or play a carom off a ball up to the top right corner....
Make him run 10....
That's the shot I like. Nudge the 14 over to the side rail, which would also knock the 3 ball over to become playable. Leave whitey on the 4 ball.

It doesn't look to me like the 1 ball is bankable. I think the CB is froze behind the edge of the 14.

Second best: Frank's three-rail kick behind the deuce.

Doc

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Hey, Ghost or Mr. 3C: Lets assume the shot is to tickey the two, aiming at the first diamond north of the other guy's pocket. Walk us through the 4 or 5 steps in calculating the first-rail contact point, step by step, would you? I'm pretty sure that I've got it for tables that are on system, but I do not know how to make the adjustment to the object ball starting position for tables that are short.

I don't need a whole 50/30 explanation, just the operative assumptions and calculations you are using.

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
You don't need to hit above the side pocket to take the correct angle to hit behind the 2 ball.

Try it yourself. When you are shooting over a ball and can not hit the cue ball normally it will shorten up naturally if you use enough speed to go 4 rails.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This lay out was discussed several times and Gray ..I believe made an incredible shot to get out of this trap. My point is if you have to make an incredible shot to get out of a potentially fatal situation you should consider taking an intentional..just to see what your opponent will do :D Yes you may end up in a bad situation but can it be worse than the one he's facing now? Imo taking an intentional now is a good gamble, more often than you may think a player will try to either improve his position or take an unnecessary gamble to win the game when all he has to do is take an intentional back. If I were Gray I would take an intentional because I will always have another opportunity to make an incredible shot but maybe I wont have to. ;)

Bill Incardona

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe I would jack up and nudge the 14 to the side cushion with a little bounce on the 14 to bring it hopefully back far enough that by killing the cue ball right there at the top of the stack, I don't leave a bank on the 14.

bstroud

Verified Member
I agree with Billy I. but here with the reservation that you are not going to end up in a worse situation.

In the situation under discussion it is hard to imagine a worse place.

An intentional and waiting to see what happens would also have been my first choice but in my original assessment I was only trying to illustrate a possible way out. Not what I would necessarily do.

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of these exercises.

Bill S.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
Question to those who like the "14 nudge" and are playing to hit the side rail and maybe move the 3 out .....is that meant to be a legal hit or a push foul where your moving 2 balls ? is it a legal hit?.:confused:...i just want to get the 14 into play and not leave a bank on it...taking the intentional.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yes it will be worse, he'll be on 2 fouls with a chance to forfeit the game. :eek:
Rod.
Rod, i'm suggesting taking an intentional for your initial option..thinking you will only be on one.:sorry If you take the 2nd. intentional then yes you are correct you will be in a worse situation. So in this situation I would take the intentional if I were sure that if my opponent took an intentional back I would have an escape safe enough to guard against forfeiting by fouling again..If that makes any sense.

Bill Incardona

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
There doesn't seem to be room for the 3 rail. I'd try to get as near as possible to the 1 ball and us a little more than 1/2 ferrule of English and hope for the best. :)
Rod.
P.S. 1/2 ferrule gets me to the pocket. I'd guess one tip of English is different for everyone.

Good eye Fish, you win a cookie:). Gray did indeed shoot almost straight-ahead with some right English to create the angle he needed. He hit it perfect.

gray's shot.jpg

He left it here:

gray's leave.jpg

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, i'm suggesting taking an intentional for your initial option..thinking you will only be on one.:sorry If you take the 2nd. intentional then yes you are correct you will be in a worse situation. So in this situation I would take the intentional if I were sure that if my opponent took an intentional back I would have an escape safe enough to guard against forfeiting by fouling again..If that makes any sense.

Bill Incardona

Despite the fact that Gray has no coin by his pocket yet, the score this game is -1 to -1. Both players are on one foul.

It's Gray's shot. What would you do?

Post # 1 thread starter.
Rod