that 'other' forum

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
the az billiards site is much-maligned here ... and sometimes with good reason.

but, is it that simple? let me proffer an alternative universe. if i may?

first, one-pocket is my favorite! game and site! regulars here know my myriad shortcomings in posting. and, my lack of talent in playing the game is even more pronounced.

so, as an 'ambassador without portfolio' in all significant venues, let me stumble through why az might be worthy of a second consideration in these consecrated one-pocket byways. (read hallowed halls.)

to me, one (but not the only one!) significant difference between one-pocket and az is numbers. that is, the number of forum members, the number of posts, the number of responses. of course volume can be a plus or a minus. or both. but there can be an inarticulate wisdom in the collective weight of mass contributions.

exempli gratia:

the swarm theory. national geographic did a magazine feature on bees. in a sort of democratic way, bees find new nesting sites -- buzz, buzz, buzz -- by flying around rather randomly and communicating their findings with each other until a collective bargaining agreement is reached. more often than not, the community consensus is correct ... they agreed upon the best place to build their new home. (this is according to scientists who claim to understand honey spots.)

the wisdom of crowds. movie producers, book publishers, tv programmers, etc. have active and ongoing internet outreach programs to encourage the public to evaluate scripts, pilots, concepts, etc.

it is less expensive -- and, it is claimed, more accurate -- to 'test drive' ideas via massive internet responses than through more traditional means such as focus groups, telephone / mail research, screenings, etc.

plus ... creative ideas can emerge from unanticipated sources. a london teenager came up with an idea for a tv commercial for apple. palo alto ended up producing, and then airing, his brainchild.

put your money where your mouth is. my favorite public barometer is that irish betting site where one can place a flutter on everything from four-legged speed challenges to the winner on 'american idol.'

(i shall not name this online irish site so as to keep all wagers in-house!)

what's unique is that the predictions come from accretion -- from the cumulative actions of real people betting real money. the odds keep changing right up to post time.

this irish establishment caught my attention when -- in 2008 -- the bettors collectively and correctly -- called all but one of the 435 united states house of representatives elections. not bad!

prognostication is my life,

sunny

p. s. am i suggesting a mass migration to az? nah. just hinting that an occasional peek could be interesting to see what the multitudes are saying.

p. p. s. I speak from experience because i have a small consulting company in the hospitality industry. i rigorously apply exacting scientific methods -- using the above principles -- in my client recommendations. well, i've thought about doing it!

p. p. p. s. i didn't realize it, but a friend just pointed out how many members here have checked out my 'personal profile' on az. so i guess this post was unnecessary -- as usual, the crew here is ahead of me. it's kind of cool that we have some forum-to-forum cross-pollination! buzz, buzz, buzz!

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
The nerve of me....... I used to think Artie's post were all over the place, and even thought some didn't make much sense.

I apologize to you, Artie

I have seen the light of a much greater force:eek:

I will refrain from any more civil intercourse, relating to this poster

"avoiding headaches is my life":)

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
hhhhhhhhhhhh

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9q2jNjOPdk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9q2jNjOPdk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Fast Lenny said:
hhhhhhhhhhhh

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9q2jNjOPdk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9q2jNjOPdk?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The people posting these inane threads:confused: should take heed of this video.
Rod.
PS, Nice post Lenny.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
sunnyone i wont give respect to any more of your posts:p
i dont know who you are or what gender but you are definitely not someone i wish to relate in any possible way
IGNORE:p
have great life
mark im not softening up