Cues

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
My first custom cue was a Rempe. The outrageous sum of $85. I thought it was a fortune. It was a production cue but it was signed by him and he was a top nine ball player. In those days we played nine ball for $5 a game and a set for $100 was real action. It took me about twenty five minutes to lose out to a top player in North Miami. Hunnert dollar action. Some eye talian sounding name. De laminated or something. We only played once and it lasted about thirty minutes but many years later I played his son during the DCC. We talked about growing up in Louisville and playing at Parkmoor. In those days he played one pocket and I played mostly nine ball. It was strange because I remembered him and how gracefully he shot the balls, he still doesn’t know who I am.:lol:lol
Anyway back to the cost of a cue. Last week I got a shaft in the mail, $550.:frus A shaft, hopefully not shafted both ways. I can’t wait to go test it. Does anyone know if Santa Monica is still open?:) I want to play so bad, it hurts. You guys that live near pool rooms don’t know how lucky you are. We finally found a house that will house the new Rasson. I can wait but barely.:eek:

beatle

Verified Member
at least you were smart enough not to get in a fight with him. he has quick hands for sure. he never lost a fight. dan toriani was what he fought under then.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Revo

Revo

REVO 12.9 i paid to watch the One Pocket at DCC but instead had to watch endless 10 ball and all the straight shooters had the Revo shafts. I like a bigger tip, usually a 13+ but Predator doesn’t plan to make anything any larger so I settled with the 12.9.:cool:And of course, I had to buy a butt to go with it, and an extension, and another extension like Mitch The Beast has, and and and I got one of the 4” rite extensions just in case. The whole shooting match cost me almost as much as a Hunter cue so my game better jump up at least to a rank amateur:frus from a slugger.: I probably should have gotten a case, glove, chalk, but I’m a cheap basterd not to mention I have two cases in my storage that I haven’t even opened from the delivery. The whole thing will be on sale as soon as I find out it doesn’t help even a little at a ridiculous 60% off.:heh

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Thanks for the reply bill
Pm me your impressions of the revo shaft after you have had a chance to use it awhile

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cues

Lol I have no extension, Bill. I do shoot with a funny shaft though. It’s a ferrul-less shaft made by Black Boar. Hate to admit it but they are also 5 hunnert. Maybe that’s why we bet it up.. bc we have bullish.. to pay for 😂.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
REVO 12.9 i paid to watch the One Pocket at DCC but instead had to watch endless 10 ball and all the straight shooters had the Revo shafts. I like a bigger tip, usually a 13+ but Predator doesn’t plan to make anything any larger so I settled with the 12.9.:cool:And of course, I had to buy a butt to go with it, and an extension, and another extension like Mitch The Beast has, and and and I got one of the 4” rite extensions just in case. The whole shooting match cost me almost as much as a Hunter cue so my game better jump up at least to a rank amateur:frus from a slugger.: I probably should have gotten a case, glove, chalk, but I’m a cheap basterd not to mention I have two cases in my storage that I haven’t even opened from the delivery. The whole thing will be on sale as soon as I find out it doesn’t help even a little at a ridiculous 60% off.:heh

You're funny... I mean it in a good way..lol.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Lol I have no extension, Bill. I do shoot with a funny shaft though. It’s a ferrul-less shaft made by Black Boar. Hate to admit it but they are also 5 hunnert. Maybe that’s why we bet it up.. bc we have bullish.. to pay for 😂.

The reason I bought this shaft Mitch, you beast, was for our $5K match:p. You are a tough match and I need about a month of practice to be ready,:frus playing for $2-300 a game. I figured with a good month of practice and some matches with Harry, then I will be in stroke to play you the seven ahead.:cool: Then with the new shaft that will put me over the top. We are pretty close and maybe in about ten years you will have me but until then......
I felt pretty good about playing in Chicago, I lost to everyone, but I was getting my game in order, cue ball control and such but I was too physically ill (back spasms) to be playing. I couldn’t even broadcast very much and although I really enjoyed being there with the other players talking about the positions, it was too much for me to do it. Right now, I have been laid up for the past three days (same spasms) unable to leave the top floor of our house without my walking canes. I’ll get over that like I usually do but I have to physically be able to play for 12-14 hours for several days in a row too. When I get there, I’ll be there. Just in case I lose the first two sessions, I’m bringing enough to win.:eek::eek:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cues

The reason I bought this shaft Mitch, you beast, was for our $5K match:p. You are a tough match and I need about a month of practice to be ready,:frus playing for $2-300 a game. I figured with a good month of practice and some matches with Harry, then I will be in stroke to play you the seven ahead.:cool: Then with the new shaft that will put me over the top. We are pretty close and maybe in about ten years you will have me but until then......

I felt pretty good about playing in Chicago, I lost to everyone, but I was getting my game in order, cue ball control and such but I was too physically ill (back spasms) to be playing. I couldn’t even broadcast very much and although I really enjoyed being there with the other players talking about the positions, it was too much for me to do it. Right now, I have been laid up for the past three days (same spasms) unable to leave the top floor of our house without my walking canes. I’ll get over that like I usually do but I have to physically be able to play for 12-14 hours for several days in a row too. When I get there, I’ll be there. Just in case I lose the first two sessions, I’m bringing enough to win.:eek::eek:

That’s the spirit! Let’s dance :) although if I see you pocket more than three balls in a row or not holding a body part in pain the match is off 😂😝

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I always find your post insightful and entertaining.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Revo. I did a 30 day trial run with one and I liked it but in the end returned to my Mezz.

Hardmix

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
My first custom cue was a Rempe. The outrageous sum of $85. I thought it was a fortune. It was a production cue but it was signed by him and he was a top nine ball player. In those days we played nine ball for $5 a game and a set for $100 was real action. It took me about twenty five minutes to lose out to a top player in North Miami. Hunnert dollar action. Some eye talian sounding name. De laminated or something. We only played once and it lasted about thirty minutes but many years later I played his son during the DCC. We talked about growing up in Louisville and playing at Parkmoor. In those days he played one pocket and I played mostly nine ball. It was strange because I remembered him and how gracefully he shot the balls, he still doesn’t know who I am.:lol:lol
Anyway back to the cost of a cue. Last week I got a shaft in the mail, $550.:frus A shaft, hopefully not shafted both ways. I can’t wait to go test it. Does anyone know if Santa Monica is still open?:) I want to play so bad, it hurts. You guys that live near pool rooms don’t know how lucky you are. We finally found a house that will house the new Rasson. I can wait but barely.:eek:

i enjoyed talking with you the other night.....got a story about buying my first "real cue"

***cue (no pun intended) the nostalgia music***

late 80s/early 90s - (everyone will deny it now) - but meucci's were the shit - earl played with one. at the time, such a cherished asset was out of my financial situation. around 94' my and staci's furniture consisted of those plastic lawn chairs and the bed was a roll out pad. about 95' moved up in the world to a futon and i was playing a lot of 9ball at a pool room in ft. wayne, in - had some disposable $ in my pocket for the first time in my life, and after a while and ordered a model 95-1 meucci (what we call a "sneaky" now).

ordered it "custom" with two 12 mm shafts and lepro tips, even sprung for a porper case. paid half up front, when it came in, literally paid the man the remaining balance with change from my 84' camaro's ash tray.....

still have the 95-1 proudly displayed in my cue case.....

:)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I loved Muccis for their whip in the shaft. You could really juice the cue ball up. I lost thousands before I gave up the whip. I was watching the World Nine ball tournament and they were playing on the Rasson I bought. I hope that mine has a light below, if not, I’m going to add one.
The only player playing with a REVO playing shaft was Chris
Melling. That guy is smooth. Most had the REVO breaking cue though.:heh

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Cues

i enjoyed talking with you the other night.....got a story about buying my first "real cue"

***cue (no pun intended) the nostalgia music***

late 80s/early 90s - (everyone will deny it now) - but meucci's were the shit - earl played with one. at the time, such a cherished asset was out of my financial situation. around 94' my and staci's furniture consisted of those plastic lawn chairs and the bed was a roll out pad. about 95' moved up in the world to a futon and i was playing a lot of 9ball at a pool room in ft. wayne, in - had some disposable $ in my pocket for the first time in my life, and after a while and ordered a model 95-1 meucci (what we call a "sneaky" now).

ordered it "custom" with two 12 mm shafts and lepro tips, even sprung for a porper case. paid half up front, when it came in, literally paid the man the remaining balance with change from my 84' camaro's ash tray.....

still have the 95-1 proudly displayed in my cue case.....

:)

Hahhaha. Me too. I confess. Late 80’s. First cue... my beloved Meucci!! Bill you’re right about that whip. I still have the butt although it warped a bit :(

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don't remember my first cue but I am sure it was a Meucci or a Mcdermott...

The only thing I do remember is losing to Vince Means when I had just started out playing for cash back when I was maybe 19 or so.

We started out playing $5 a game 8 ball and he let me win a few and then he wanted to raise the bet, won a few more, raised it higher..you see where this is going.. :D

Next thing I know I was betting my stick versus his $200 or $300 and I had no chance, lol...

I also remember my old buddy Dicky Neighbors who was working the counter that day at Beechmont Billiards gave Vince an ear full for "hustling" me..."give that kid his stick back Vince!"...I didn't get it back but I had learned my first lesson in the pool room.

Sometimes people will play under their speed to bait you in for a higher bet.

I wish I could say it never happened again, but it was still a lesson learned!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I heard and interesting comment at DCC while watching the BigFoot Challege table. Filler uses a Revo. He had some simple draw shots, but the ball didn't back up much as he wanted, more than once. One of the other pros had said his tip did not have the normal amount of curvature, like a Willards nickel/dime rounder created.
The boyz told me, his tip was allot flatter. Not positive why, but my best guess he was getting too much action on the cue ball on the draw shots on a 9 footer. Tho, being on a ten footer he did need allot more draw to get whitey in position.

sausage

Suspended
y'all don't bash "whippy" shafts. you can really get a lot of action on the cueball with them. i don't understand how anyone plays with a 13mm+. you might as well put a tip on a 2x4.