Carolinas One-Pocket Tournament in Progress

JAM

Verified Member
Just dropping a post here about the one-pocket tournament in progress. It has been whittled down to 16 players, and the second day begins at 11:00 a.m. A total of 56 players showed up in all.

Earl and Johnny are not playing in the one-hole event, but wil be playing in the 9-ball tournament which begins Friday.

Rodney Morris and Tony Chohan are here. Can't remember a lot of names now because I am sleep deprived. More to come later.

In the one-pocket losers' bracket, Dennis Hatch will play Keith McCready this morning, and this is the first money round.

Dennis is returning to the pool scene after a mandatory hiatus (LOL). He's sober, clean-cut, lost a lot of weight, and looks great. His goal is to join the men's tour and play professionally.

In the winners' bracket, Jeremy Jones and Buddy Hall.

The match between Jeremy and Keith was unbelievable, two crazy shots back to back. Will write more later. The crowd became unglued.

The action last night was unreal. A kid named Josh from Orlando, Florida, cleaned up. Will write more later about the action.

Buddy Hall's cue stick has a leather wrap that goes all the way to the end of his butt.

Kid Delicious is in the losers' bracket, and after the tournament, he spent time with a youngster, about 12, I think, named Craig who takes lessons from Earl Strickland, giving him tips, et cetera.

The pool fever is high here in Goldsboro. Action is on the horizon for tonight.

Got to get ready to go to the pool room now. Later...

JAM

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Per the brackets on AZB, T-Rex won two matches, lost to Scott Frost, beat Buddy Hall and plays Eric Baker next. Baker beat Grady on the left side. I don't know how up to date the brackets are though.

Troy

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Buddy's grip

Buddy's grip

Thanks for the update, Jennie. If you guys remember, Buddy allways gripped the cue at the bottom of the butt. It only makes sense that finally he has run the wrap that far down. Is the cue a one off Lucasi? Just wondering. Thanks again.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
hemicudas said:
Thanks for the update, Jennie. If you guys remember, Buddy allways gripped the cue at the bottom of the butt. It only makes sense that finally he has run the wrap that far down. Is the cue a one off Lucasi? Just wondering. Thanks again.
Several years ago when Buddy was in California he was selling some Bludworth cues that were linen wrapped most of the way down the butt. They were nice looking plain cues for $400 to $450 each. Wish I would have bought some of them.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
jrhendy said:
Several years ago when Buddy was in California he was selling some Bludworth cues that were linen wrapped most of the way down the butt. They were nice looking plain cues for $400 to $450 each. Wish I would have bought some of them.
Maybe Blud will take the hint and make a few more, John. Sounds like something I would like too, wide wing span, etal, lol.

JAM

Verified Member
The finals match are in progress. We left after the third-place finisher, Brian Jones of Tulsa, Oklahoma, got knocked out in a long and grueling match with Dave Guiterrez of Texas. Dave Guiterrez is the current Houston 9-Ball Champion.

Racing to 3, each had 2 games, and 6 balls in the case match. Dave FINALLY came through and has to play Scott "The Freezer" Frost in the finals, this time, though, a race to 5, as opposed to beating him 2 matches as in other double elimination tourneys.

Players are rolling in tonight, getting ready for tomorrow's 9-ball tournament. Tony Watson showed up wearing all white and ready to battle and should squash some of those nasty Internet rumors about him.

Dennis Hatch's performance is note-worthy. He is looking forward to entering every major tournament he is capable of, and he still has good eyes at only 33 years of age. He's in excellent shape, too, I might add. With his straight pool background, he was able to execute some mighty sweet runs during some of his one-hole matches. I think straight pool enhances one's one-pocket capabilities.

Tony Chohan didn't like getting knocked out of the tourney, but he did cash.

Rodney came in fourth. Jeremy Jones played strong this tournament, made some great shots. Mike Davis is here. He played in the one-pocket tourney, but his best game is 9-ball, by his own admission. I look for him to do better this weekend.

Tony Crosby rolled in, as did Michael Coltrain, Jack Stenner, and even Barry Behrman made a cameo appearance.

Larry Nevel and Rachel from Canada are practicing on some back tables. Larry has an incredible break. The whole room echos.

I really enjoy watching Buddy Hall playing. He moves the ball so smooth; it just glides.

Tomorrow, the 9-ball tourney begins at 1:00 p.m. So far, they've got 80-some-odd players paid. And more are still coming in. We're turning in early tonight. Sleep is such a wonderful thing (LOL). I like the informal atmosphere of this tournament, as opposed to the bigger events where you have to pass through 3 gates just to get to the tournament room.

Fast Eddie's is in a warehouse-like building with extremely high ceilings. Huge colored banners hang from the rafters of local businesses, quite interesting ones. There's some Air Force place nearby, and every now and then it sounds like B-52 bombers are flying overhead. Locals don't notice it (LOL).

The people here in North Carolina are genuinely nice, a characteristic of this part of the country I really like. The local folks are grilling out front, fresh barbecue anything you want. All of these amenities make my railbird experience fantastic. The hours go by like minutes!

BTW, I've got some GREAT pictures!

JAM

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Scott Frost wins another...

Scott Frost wins another...

Following up on his 'Legends of One Pocket' victory last year

Found posted on AZ:
NorthCarolinian said:
Scott Frost won in dominating fashion. The finals were a race to 5. David Gutierezz won the first three games then Frost switched gears and won five in a row for a 5-3 finals victory.