Chess? Do you think many moves ahead?

onepocketchump

Verified Member
When I play I sometimes try to think several moves ahead like chess. Does anyone else play one hole this way or is act/react and take it as it comes? Or is it a mixture of both methods?

What I mean by this to be more specific is that sometimes I will play shots to set up banks or caroms for later - I try to predict what my opponent will do if I do x and then I think about what I will do after he does that...

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am still a noob on this forum.

John

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
onepocketchump said:
When I play I sometimes try to think several moves ahead like chess. Does anyone else play one hole this way or is act/react and take it as it comes? Or is it a mixture of both methods?

What I mean by this to be more specific is that sometimes I will play shots to set up banks or caroms for later - I try to predict what my opponent will do if I do x and then I think about what I will do after he does that...

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am still a noob on this forum.

John

I don't think you can think like 4 shots ahead because your opponent might not do what you predict he will. One form of thinking ahead is playing the score. If you're trying to protect a lead you want to keep him under the balls to force him to shoot em up table. Another form of thinking ahead is to be able to see that you are fixing to get to get in trouble if you don't do something besides playing a passive safety.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I sure like the idea of thinking ahead, but in reality I am focused more on optimizing as best I can from the situation my opponent has left me. I guess I also do regularly think about what their next shot might be -- or more likely, I am trying to put them somewhere to prevent them from playing a certain shot I am aware of, that I do not want them to be able to have available.

I think I have a lot to learn about thinking ahead to reach the point where I could actually successfully manage what my opponent would play for a sequence of shots (by envisioning the sequence ahead of time and then successfully seeing my strategy unfold).

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I think it's impossible to predict more than one or two shots ahead in one pocket - there are just too many variables. But I think you can recognize general layouts and situations that are positive or negative for you and shots or moves that tend to cause or avoid them. I suck at this, but I see it done to me often enough that I know it's possible (yeah, Ghost, I'm talkin' about you).

pj
chgo

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
You must always have a picture of what the table will look like after the shot you intend to make. Then, what could the incoming player do from there, and what do you believe he actually will do? IMO, that's about as far as you can plan. After he shoots, you go thru it again. Your game plan will be changing every time it's your turn to shoot.

There are things you would like to do, if you get a chance: break up a cluster, make a cluster, leave a ball in a certain spot or remove a ball from a certain spot etc, but you can't count on getting to do them. Sometimes you get options to attend to such things, but other times you find you have hardly any options at all.

Know the score, know your player and try to keep him unhappy. Good luck.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
I sure like the idea of thinking ahead, but in reality I am focused more on optimizing as best I can from the situation my opponent has left me. I guess I also do regularly think about what their next shot might be -- or more likely, I am trying to put them somewhere to prevent them from playing a certain shot I am aware of, that I do not want them to be able to have available.

PatJohn said:
I think it's impossible to predict more than one or two shots ahead in one pocket - there are just too many variables. But I think you can recognize general layouts and situations that are positive or negative for you and shots or moves that tend to cause or avoid them. I suck at this, but I see it done to me often enough that I know it's possible (yeah, Ghost, I'm talkin' about you).
pj
chgo

Vapros said:
You must always have a picture of what the table will look like after the shot you intend to make. Then, what could the incoming player do from there, and what do you believe he actually will do? IMO, that's about as far as you can plan. After he shoots, you go thru it again. Your game plan will be changing every time it's your turn to shoot.

There are things you would like to do, if you get a chance: break up a cluster, make a cluster, leave a ball in a certain spot or remove a ball from a certain spot etc, but you can't count on getting to do them. Sometimes you get options to attend to such things, but other times you find you have hardly any options at all.

Know the score, know your player and try to keep him unhappy. Good luck.

I agree with all the above assessments. Trying to anticipate his next shot and limit good options for him is as far as it goes for me.
Rod. <------how 'bout that PJ. :)

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
You will learn in time that "This"shot you make, will get This or That result...Look at al your opponents possiblities, and play so his next inning is as rough as it cn be.

But there are a fewways I have learned, a few situations where you can apply a trap - - this is thinking ahead, but it is an overall percentage and NOT 4-5 shots ahead.

Learning what a shot gets you ---it gets you his reply...learn how peopledo against what you offer them. Ihave played someone on this very forum, and I take what appears to be a flyer...I already know what it gets me if I DONT shoot....

Mykeyboard is screwed up nearly as bad as my pool stroke.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Think as far ahead as you are comfortably able. The absolute minimum is two executions.

I knew a fellow once who suggested that when playing eightball, one should either think ahead the total number of balls then remaining on the table or should take up bowling or some such. When he outlined his rationale I could make no argument agin' it

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
KindlyOleUncleDave said:
Think as far ahead as you are comfortably able. The absolute minimum is two executions.

I knew a fellow once who suggested that when playing eightball, one should either think ahead the total number of balls then remaining on the table or should take up bowling or some such. When he outlined his rationale I could make no argument agin' it

Thinking shots ahead is fine if you're running balls. ;) When playing safe, thinking more than one shot ahead assumes you know what your opponent will shoot. I would guess you'd be wrong as often as right. :)
Rod.