Good Pool Commentators

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Are there any good commentators left? This 2013 D.C.C. showed many poor ones.

Good pool commentators:

1: Don't make themselves the focal point of the broadcast. They help to make the players & the game the focal points, after all, that's what they're being paid for.

2: Don't constantly argue with their co-host. Viewers don't want to hear that arguing.

3: Knowing that people will be buying the AccuStats DVDs when they come out, good commentators will not constantly ask for "overhead" views so they can draw yellow lines all over the place and clutter up the screen. They realize that viewers want to see the overhead now & then but not so that the co-commentators can argue shot choice.

4: Good commentators know that when they are commentating a One-Pocket match for Accu Stats that match will be made into a DVD. Most people expect a quality product from Accu Stats. Try to oblige them.

5: Know when to shut up and let the game speak for itself. We don't need you guessing every possible shot choice every shot. Silence speaks volumes.

6: Can make a horrible match entertaining to watch and listen to. I believe it was Incardona & Benny Conway who made the "Lotsapoppa/Mataya" match bearable and even funny though it was a terrible match to have on a T.V. table.

7: Good commentators elicit comments such as this one from:

Run The Century said:
Freddie "The Beard" - Today, 08:09 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it only me that finds him a GREAT commentator? He is extremely knowledgeable, has fantastic stories from yesteryears, and is so funny I often laugh out loud. He's the only guy I have ever bought pool matches BECAUSE he was commentating. Would like to see him behind the booth a LOT more.

Bad pool commentators:

1: Think they are the stars and the match & players are secondary to them. They think people paid to hear them talk or argue. The match is the show guys, not you.

2: Never know the score of the current game or the match.

3: Are usually wrong about the shot the "player" should shoot.

4: Constantly say a ball is going in when it hangs up and vice versa.

5: Don't know the difference between a bank going long or going short.

Pat Fleming usually offers great discount deals on DVDs and even the newest ones are priced reasonably at $19.95 for the most part, all depending on how many you order. The more you order the cheaper they are. There's no better deal around. That said, I will say this: If Pat Fleming wanted to charge $25 per DVD from the next Tunica or D.C.C. event (or both) I would pay full price as long as Freddy and Artie co-commentated ALL of the One-Pocket matches and Freddy was in the booth for ALL of the BankPool matches.

Here are two guys who know the game is the star and they take a backseat to the game and make it better with their commentary instead of detracting from it.

Here is AB doing the CSI-TAR match with Larry Schwartz (who is very good also) when Alex & Frost played at the 2011 U.S. Open. They are very good together and not annoying at all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1xYvIMjoA[/ame]

That's my take on the overblown, unknowledgeable, ego-centric commentators I listened to this past week & a half.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have done a few of the live broadcast matches over the last several years -- it's not easy, in my opinion. I probably err more on the low-key side than the heavy handed side. I am hoping that I am getting better at it every time :D I did a few of last year's US Open one pocket matches. I think I was teamed with Jay Helfert once, Frank "The Barber" once (he was great to work with) and maybe Lou Figuora once. I was the newbie I think. Oh, and Sylver Ochoa once.

It seems this year Pat did not have his usual strong stable of announcers in action, but rather his fall-back crew more often than not. It may have had something to do with the stress of one of his long-time camera-men dying in his room right there at the Derby early in the week. Dean Guptil (sp?) was his name I believe. It was a heck of a shock for the Accustats crew.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's true. Lots of guys yearn to commentate, but few have the aptitude for it. Artie and Larry were very good, despite having no broadcasting experience. And of course no one is more knowledgeable than they.

Of the guys on our site, I always liked Billy Incardona and Grady. Together they had all the shots and strategies covered, plus they were humorous as a pair. I also enjoyed Buddy Hall's insights and affability. I don't know if Pat still has him take turns in the booth. Freddie has lots of strategic secrets and tidbits, and is a riot to boot. And the times I've heard Lenny commentate, he was very good. He keeps his own ego out of the story, and provides color for the guys he knows.

Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Those are all my favorites: buddy, who I think was a very good 9 ball, then later one pocket commentator. Billy is my fav one pocket commentator, I think because I tended to agree with him the most, ha. Grady was perhaps my favorite entertainment wise.... I did think grady had a strange aversion toward some very awkward one pocket shots though, but he played much better than me of course. Beard is great in the booth of course, I just don't have much of him in there. He used this line in one of my tapes "hopkins and artie circles each other one night, but they never played". That is an all time line for me. Artie and Larry in that one pocket match on youtube are outstanding.... they are just quiet enough, and speak just enough. I loved every minute of that.

Hardly any of the lesser known players impressed me. I did love the player review tapes though. Jimmy fusco and grady had a stellar one.

Literally everyone else was mediocre at best for me though.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Well,for once....

Well,for once....

.....were pretty much agreed.Grady and Billy are tops,Buddy,Varner,Danny,Freddie and Artie also Mataya was good at 9B but for many reasons there was no regulars outside of GM and BI that could cut it. Takes a special guy,got to have pool experience,got to have a voice,got to be cool at laying back.Theres no bread in it so that doesnt help keep anybody.Guess were in the Dark Ages but not for long cause theres always a cool breeze just around the corner,till then its like WW1 in the trenches......we just gonna die a little every damn day.......tres' bon.C'est Le Guerre,cheers,James

Bankin Ben

Verified Member
From
Millington TN.
Very Hard to beat GM and BI. They were a wonderful combination and complimented each other so well. Kind of the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis of pool!!

JAM

Verified Member
Best commentators to my ear are Jerry Forsyth and Billy Incardona. I have heard them numerous times and respect their expertise.

First and foremost, each one has a pleasant voice to my ear, easy to listen to. Billy is like a gentleman speaker, so polite, and Jerry injects excitement into his words like no other can. Both have immense wisdom when it comes to the strategy of all pool games as well as the individual characteristics of the players themselves. This is key, I think, when it comes to commentating.

Best of all, though, both Jerry and Billy never have a "personal agenda" when they are commentating. To me, that is the best trait of the so-called "professional commenator": to be neutral. It is quite annoying to listen to a commentator who plays favorites, whether for personal or monetary gain. It just doesn't belong in the commentator's booth, in my opinon. I have never heard Billy or Jerry say one bad thing about anybody, publicly or privately; in other words, they can take a sow's ear and turn it into a silk purse, verbally speaking. :)

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
I like Alvin from Inside Pool. He streams LIVE, free, and sings a song or two.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I like Max, he is a good commentator. he has a very deep understanding of pool and expresses himself in a fashion that dosent distract from the match-but enhances it much like Billy.

I have tried commentary its tough. I'm well spoken, gift of gab so to speak & thats probably why its so hard for me. I did a match with JA once for 45 minutes Appleton/Hatch on TAR, I thought I did good there. And another one with Max that we did a brilliant job, but Max gets the credit, i followed his lead and asked him the occasional question. Since I know Max very very good we had a good cadence to our commentary and i'd like to do that again with him or JA.

Alone in the booth, forget it, id do pool more harm than poker, video games and FaceBook combined. i'm horrible alone or with someone who isnt a good lead, i'm 2nd base at best with only some ppl. Billy is my favorite but if i worked with him i dont think id do a good job, he makes me laugh to me Billy is triple funny at times and bursting out laughing in the middle of a match isnt good form for a commentator, its harder to do than i ever thought.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Is there anyone who posted in this thread, telling of their favorite commentators, who actually purchases AccuStats DVD's each year? Buying the D.C.C. and now the Tunica DVD's? Or do you just own some old (very old) VHS tapes that you haven't seen in awhile? Your opinions are the ones that matter.

Many of you sound as if you are living in the past and have no clue whatsoever.

Dennis

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Is there anyone who posted in this thread, telling of their favorite commentators, who actually purchases AccuStats DVD's each year? Buying the D.C.C. and now the Tunica DVD's? Or do you just own some old (very old) VHS tapes that you haven't seen in awhile? Your opinions are the ones that matter.

Dennis

Now you tell us:rolleyes:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Dennis

Now you tell us:rolleyes:

Well Jim, I just figured if people won't put their money on their opinion then it doesn't mean much, that's all. I didn't say it though but I really was searching for opinions of people who actually purchase AccuStats DVD's. The little round silvery things, not the VHS tapes from last century:p.

Dennis

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Dennis

I thought there was a gentlemans agreement not to slam post and comments by others due to the acrimony created.?
If you had qualified that only those who purchase DVD's by Accu Stats was the criteria, you could complain that the responses are from those living in the past or have no clue.
There are plenty of those who purchased the Accu Stats live stream that were disappointed with the commentators. All of the opinions of the one pocket.org members matter, Dennis, not just the ones you want to hear. It is like those who put up WWYS threads and then call people names because of what they would shoot. This forum is for all opinions. Have you ever heard Lenny broadcast with Kentucky? Or JR Hendy with others? There are many that know the game that are not top shelve players. Being a top shelve player does not translate to being a good commentator.:lol

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I thought there was a gentlemans agreement not to slam post and comments by others due to the acrimony created.?
If you had qualified that only those who purchase DVD's by Accu Stats was the criteria, you could complain that the responses are from those living in the past or have no clue.
There are plenty of those who purchased the Accu Stats live stream that were disappointed with the commentators. All of the opinions of the one pocket.org members matter, Dennis, not just the ones you want to hear. It is like those who put up WWYS threads and then call people names because of what they would shoot. This forum is for all opinions. Have you ever heard Lenny broadcast with Kentucky? Or JR Hendy with others? There are many that know the game that are not top shelve players. Being a top shelve player does not translate to being a good commentator.:lol

Having a rare moment of clarity Bill? I know for a fact that you will not understand anything I write but here goes anyway.

WTF does this even mean? I've not seen but one or two gentlemen on this site in 4 years. What the hell are you talking about? I've not agreed to anything with anyone.

I mentioned AccuStats and players getting paid 5 times in my original post. I wasn't clear but it still is obvious that I was mostly referencing AccuStats and their commentators. Mea Culpa, Big Daddy.

There are plenty of those who purchased the Accu Stats live stream that were disappointed with the commentators.

Do tell us Bill. Who are the disappointed and which commentators were they disappointed in? The people are waiting Bill, don't let them down.

It is like those who put up WWYS threads and then call people names because of what they would shoot.

I put up almost all of the WWYD threads and only one piece of crap constantly insults everyone who doesn't agree with his shot choices and it's not me.

All of the opinions of the one pocket.org members matter, Dennis, not just the ones you want to hear.

When I ask for opinions pertaining to certain things then those who respond are the only members that matter.

Have you ever heard Lenny broadcast with Kentucky?

Yes, you breath into the microphone too heavily.

Being a top shelve player does not translate to being a good commentator

It's about time you said something relevant. This statement I agree with (except for the "shelve", it's actually Top-Shelf).

Now, just to make clear to you and everyone else: I was seeking the opinions of people who actually spend their hard-earned cash on AccuStats DVD's or PPV's or both.

Thanks for playing Bill.

P.S. Did you notice how I responded to each and every point you made? I did not digress, trail off or go on tangentially related topics. I'd appreciate the same in return (knowing it's not coming).

Dennis