Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspurguy View Post
I guess I need to get Beard's books and DVD's because I'm still not seeing the six two rails in the corner.
The main purpose of the shot is to draw the cue ball back to the top rail, I agree that the angle for the two rail shot is not the greatest but it's possible to make the shot. I set the shot up and had good success with the cue ball but not nearly as much with the 6 ball. The 6 ball has a better chance of going four rails in the side but I was afraid if I would of suggested that shot I would of been under a nuclear attack from both Chicago and Detroit. But option#2 cross banking the 6 ball between the 5 and 9 balls is a hanger.

Dr. Bill
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
I must concede to Billy boy. I thought he meant 2 in the side. 2 in the corner can go. It can go on new cloth, but on older cloth you would need a little rt hand english to bring it short enough. It is a possible option, but you would have to blast it to make sure the 6 ball returns to the foot of the table. What often happens, however is the ball will bobble in the intended corner and then stay on the head of the table, leaving cross side or cross corner.
This also happens often on straight backs when one is trying to shoot it and play safe by pulling the cue ball back to the head rail. The difference between the difficulty of a straight back and a 2 in the corner however, is significant. That's why it is usually ok to shoot the straight back but pass on the 2 in the corner.

Beard
Your concession is appreciated, you're starting to come around now and yes there is hope for you. I was starting to think that we were losing you but as a resilient player as you are I never gave up on you. Welcome back.

Dr. Bill
Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
The main purpose of the shot is to draw the cue ball back to the top rail, I agree that the angle for the two rail shot is not the greatest but it's possible to make the shot. I set the shot up and had good success with the cue ball but not nearly as much with the 6 ball. The 6 ball has a better chance of going four rails in the side but I was afraid if I would of suggested that shot I would of been under a nuclear attack from both Chicago and Detroit. But option#2 cross banking the 6 ball between the 5 and 9 balls is a hanger.

Dr. Bill
Out of the mouths of babes.... IMO that is the shot! This would insure the proper speed control on the 6 ball. All you have to do -- and it aint all that hard -- is make sure you catch the long rail on the 3rd rail. It is laying natural. That is the shot! That is a big free shot, and I would certainly shoot it. Certainly, especially if it was the 7 ball. (private joke)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Verified Member

Can't believe you called him a babe... maybe he'll take it as a compliment.

Freddy, if you will, tell me why you like the four railer better than two in the side. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I have noticed that you have this guy from Detroit endorsing all your rebuttals, invite him to Chicago when I go there, around mid August. The three of us can eat spaghetti and play both banks and one pocket.

Dr. Bill
Dear "A Decade Late" Breath,

If we ever were to play (not likely anymore) I'm certain it would be a burden eased for you, knowing as you would at the outset, that you'd never need to put pen to paper explaining to me, as you did with that imbecile in Florida, just exactly how I should best compose my thoughts, tropes & gambits in the furtherance of convincing my stakehorses, backers or hairy-legs to put me in the box against you. I would be betting my own.

Cowboy "everybody wants to play now" Dennis
Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
Out of the mouths of babes.... IMO that is the shot! This would insure the proper speed control on the 6 ball. All you have to do -- and it aint all that hard -- is make sure you catch the long rail on the 3rd rail. It is laying natural. That is the shot! That is a big free shot, and I would certainly shoot it...
I never even saw that shot as a possibility. But what are you going to do with the cue ball? And why shoot a trick shot when you're ahead 3-1? It looks to me like if the 6 didn't go, which it probably wouldn't, there's a good chance of selling out a return straight-back or cross-side.

Are you sure you're not just being kind to Pittsburgh Billy because he was mindful of even mentioning that shot?

Doc
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Dear "A Decade Late" Breath,

If we ever were to play (not likely anymore) I'm certain it would be a burden eased for you, knowing as you would at the outset, that you'd never need to put pen to paper explaining to me, as you did with that imbecile in Florida, just exactly how I should best compose my thoughts, tropes & gambits in the furtherance of convincing my stakehorses, backers or hairy-legs to put me in the box against you. I would be betting my own.

Cowboy "everybody wants to play now" Dennis
That was impressive, eloquently stated. But allow me to try interpret what you just said, if I may. The way I understand it is that we'll probably never play.(means that we're not going to play) But in the event that we ever do (but I know we're not)
You will be betting your own. Are you sure?
But if we do play, promise not to get too angry when I try to explain to you that the players that gave me the most problems were the players from Detroit. Plus, i'm old now and my consistency is gone, so would you like to play?

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 07-10-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
I never even saw that shot as a possibility. But what are you going to do with the cue ball? And why shoot a trick shot when you're ahead 3-1? It looks to me like if the 6 didn't go, which it probably wouldn't, there's a good chance of selling out a return straight-back or cross-side.

Are you sure you're not just being kind to Pittsburgh Billy because he was mindful of even mentioning that shot?

Doc
Dr. Arthur, I promised you that if you came to Tunica I would improve your game a ball, i'll start here because you're from Pittsburgh.

There are many shots that most players feel are trick shots, but their actually disguised as trick shots, which allows certain players to discreetly relieve you of your $$$$$ Don't be a hater.

Dr. Bill
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post

Doc
Ok i'm done f@@king with you, now i'll undress the disguise.

In this situation what we know is that we cannot leave the cue ball at the foot end of the table, so ultimately what we would like to do is score a bank, but if missed leave the cue ball at the head end of the table, close to a cushion. Now that's when we need to start using our imagination, like I mentioned at first about banking the 6 ball two in the corner. Well the strength of banking the 6 ball two in the corner is that if hit with the right speed and with a good stroke, the cue ball will be drawn to the end rail and the 6 ball will be banked two cushions toward the top right pocket with the speed if missed to leave the area. That's playing the percentages. But there's a slight problem with that shot, but not enough of a problem to not shoot it. The problem with that shot is, that a certain % of the time the 6 ball will double the corners of the pocket and not leave the area. But like I said "not enough times not to shoot it" But lets now take this shot a step forward. If this shot is missed short, it will bounce off the end rail and go straight down table. But if this shot is missed long it will go 4 cushions toward the side pocket Now I think we're on to something here. Why don't we play it 4 cushions in the side? With playing it 4 cushions in the side your margin for error is greater, plus you'll lessen the percentages that the ball will stay up table. Now that may appear as a trick shot, which actually it kinda is, but who's tricked?

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 07-10-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Ok i'm done f@@king with you, now i'll undress the disguise.

In this situation what we know is that we cannot leave the cue ball at the foot end of the table, so ultimately what we would like to do is score a bank, but if missed leave the cue ball at the head end of the table, close to a cushion. Now that's when we need to start using our imagination, like I mentioned at first about banking the 6 ball two in the corner. Well the strength of banking the 6 ball two in the corner is that if hit with the right speed and with a good stroke, the cue ball will be drawn to the end rail and the 6 ball will be banked two cushions toward the top right pocket with the speed if missed to leave the area. That's playing the percentages. But there's a slight problem with that shot, but not enough of a problem to not shoot it. The problem with that shot is, that a certain % of the time the 6 ball will double the corners of the pocket and not leave the area. But like I said "not enough times not to shoot it" But lets now take this shot a step forward. If this shot is missed short, it will bounce off the end rail and go straight down table. But if this shot is missed long it will go 4 cushions toward the side pocket Now I think we're on to something here. Why don't we play it 4 cushions in the side? With playing it 4 cushions in the side your margin for error is greater, plus you'll lessen the percentages that the ball will stay up table. Now that may appear as a trick shot, which actually it kinda is, but who's tricked?

Dr. Bill
On further review I have to concede that the 4 in the side is too tough a shot considering the depth and angle shown with the shot.. The angle demands a hard hit with a fairly deep cut that needs to be hit accurately, a little too much to ask even though the design of the shot is a good one. But I still believe the two in the corner is the right shot, much easier hit, based off of the speed needed to succeed with the shot is more controllable, bottom line.

For the 4 in the side to be the better option you would need a straighter angle and a little closer shot. It's much easier and predictable to control the cue ball when you need speed with the shot, to be shooting at a straighter angle. With a straighter angle the speed needed to execute the shot is [B]much less[/B because you are going into the meat of the ball which will transfer more speed with the object ball. Less velocity, easier hit, more controllable.

I promise I won't change my mind again.

Dr. Bill