ETA for members tournament at Lacy's

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Well, since we are not going to have any real or final confirmations until Labor Day, it seems a waste of time trying to figure brackets and schedules at this point.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Regardless, I'm 100% committed to attending and would send my entry fee this minute if we could even agree where to send that.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
"Active" meaning what? One post? One post a week? One post a year? 50 posts? etc,etc,etc. "Active" is too open-ended. "Verified" covers only people Steve knows or knows that one of us knows. :)

I think that's better. It's objective and not subject to interpretation.

Verifying status, activity and posts is easy to do with forum members list statistics. Its not subjective.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Verifying status, activity and posts is easy to do with forum members list statistics. Its not subjective.
It's not subjective after you establish the specific amount of activity required, but establishing that amount is entirely subjective. Who is going to do that?

Well, since we are not going to have any real or final confirmations until Labor Day, it seems a waste of time trying to figure brackets and schedules at this point.

Agree.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
It seems that early on in this endeavor, it seemed a stretch just to get 16 confirmed participants and look where we are now, trying to accommodate 48 players in just two days. Kind of like trying to pack 100 lbs of mudbugs into a 2 lb sack. :rolleyes:

I'm all for being inclusive as well, and I agree that although we have competitive drives, this event was originally proposed for its social aspect. To accommodate this, I'm thinking of the following:

1. Race to 2 only on both sides.
2. As many as possible get there ahead of time (even as early as Thursday) for social, action, etc.
3. Welcome all who show up as late as first thing Saturday morning.
4. Focus is comaraderie, fun and action.
5. Entry fee primarily to make Frank's nut and modest reward to those who place...not for enrichment. Have a Calcutta if people want more $$ for reward.
6. Late comers to be bid as a blind pool in the Calcutta.

Most of all, have fun in a quality venue with all our friends.

Food for thought...

Anyone who has run a lot of tournaments knows that, at some point, the winners side ends up just sitting around waiting for the losers' side to finish up. This is because each time the losers' side goes from N to N/2, another N/2 players come in from the winners side. So, whether there are 32 or 48 players, I suggest adding 1 to the race length once the winners bracket is down to either 8, or maybe 16 if we have a lot of tables. Even with movers and grandpas, races to 2 shouldn't take more than 2 hours so going up to 3 shouldn't be a problem.

OR, you could do a round robin to take the field down to 16. Everyone in a grouping plays everyone else 2 games and the top 2 advance. That would let everyone play more and against more people.

You could even use the round robin to set up 2 single elimination tournaments. A winners bracket with 2/3 of the money and races to 3, and a losers bracket with 1/3 of the money and races to 2. Two single elimination brackets go much faster than one double elimination bracket with the same number of players. There are fewer matches and fewer times where the whole bracket gets held up waiting on a single match. (If the turnout is large, you speed it up by having 5-person groups in which each person only plays 3 others instead of 4.)

If you only use the round robin to seed but not eliminate people, you could have everyone in a grouping play each other person 1 game. So with groups of 5, your seeding would be based on 4 games.

Bottom, line: there are lots of ways to run a tournament with an arbitrary number of players and be more inclusive rather than draw a sharp line. Or, if you want to draw a sharp line for this *members* tournament, then base it on "active posters." (Rizzo and James get honorary active poster status.)

Cory

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
It's not subjective after you establish the specific amount of activity required, but establishing that amount is entirely subjective. Who is going to do that?

Agree.

We don't need no stinkin' stats. If Hacker has posted that you're a dumba** or similar, or that your shot idea ain't worth shi*, then you're an active member. If he hasn't then you're not active.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
We don't need no stinkin' stats. If Hacker has posted that you're a dumba** or similar, or that your shot idea ain't worth shi*, then you're an active member. If he hasn't then you're not active.

LOL.

So far there hasn't been anyone indicate likely participation that we don't know pretty well. I don't see it as a problem.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
We will probably be flying in on Thursday night or early Friday morning so I am up for meeting up with people on Friday afternoon.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nothing in stone yet but my plans would be arriving some time Friday afternoon / evening and leaving late Sunday or early Monday.

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
One POcket Event at Lacy's Cue in September.

One POcket Event at Lacy's Cue in September.

Okay, I would like to play in the event at Lacy's but was having trouble finding the original thread to post in.

It's almost in my back yard.

Can someone point me to right link for where the players names are listed.

I heard that John Henderson is making the trip along with many other notables so I have to go too, if there is a spot left for me.

Can someone confirm that I have a spot available or not? If a spot is available I'll take it. I might be able to convince a couple of more blind guys to play if you have some openings.

thanks,
JoeyA

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Menu Discussion

Menu Discussion

BTW, for those of you who have never been to Lacy's Cue, it is an awesome facility.

If you guys are interested in having steak and potato lunch/dinner, I can pretty much guarantee that the owner will make it available if he knows in advance how many want to eat steak and baked potato on a specific night. Nothing like eating a grill steak hot off the grill.

Just let me know how many would be interested in such a thing and the specifics of what you are interested in.

Best regards,

JoeyA

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
BTW, for those of you who have never been to Lacy's Cue, it is an awesome facility.

If you guys are interested in having steak and potato lunch/dinner, I can pretty much guarantee that the owner will make it available if he knows in advance how many want to eat steak and baked potato on a specific night. Nothing like eating a grill steak hot off the grill.

Just let me know how many would be interested in such a thing and the specifics of what you are interested in.

Best regards,

JoeyA

I would be up for that for sure!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Okay, I would like to play in the event at Lacy's but was having trouble finding the original thread to post in.

I heard that John Henderson is making the trip along with many other notables so I have to go too, if there is a spot left for me.

Can someone confirm that I have a spot available or not? If a spot is available I'll take it. I might be able to convince a couple of more blind guys to play if you have some openings.

thanks,
JoeyA

Yes, Joey, you are IN! (unless we decide to limit to 32, in which case you would be in as soon as your entry fee is received... but we haven't decided yet. :heh )

Regarding "blind guys," I just want to be sure you know it's "verified" members only.

I love the steak idea, but we'll probably want some Cajun and/or seafood too, if it can be arranged (catered, or whatever.)

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I have some business down that way so I can head in Thursday see my customer and be available to play early Friday.

Hardmix

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I booked my reservations for Fri/Sat night weeks ago. I will get there on Friday, right after lunch most likely.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

thanks,
JoeyA

No way you can play in it:eek:

1. You don't have enough posts.
2. Your too late.
3. Your a bad man.
4. Just pulling your chain:D

Maybe you should handle all the entry fees

Last edited:

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Real nice, Jim. I'm a bad man, I'm too late. I don't have enough posts. And now you want me to handle the entry fees. Sheesh.....

I can handle the entry fees if you guys want me to.

Just let me know who is the decision maker on this matter and I will tell you the mailing address and pay to for your checks. Also need to know the deadline for when entries must be made. I don't want to hound anyone especially at the last minute. I'm sure all of those posting in this group are bona fide.

Oh wait, I need to know how much the entry fee is going to be.

JoeyA

No way you can play in it:eek:

1. You don't have enough posts.
2. Your too late.
3. Your a bad man.
4. Just pulling your chain:D

Maybe you should handle all the entry fees