"SO YOUR SAYING I HAVE CHANCE" My Memphis recap

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
After being in my biggest Action/Practice drought in some 15 years if you would have told me I was going to beat Mr. Tom Wirth, Mr. Robert Newkirk, then Mr. Wirth again in the finals to claim my biggest one hole tournament payday, i would have literally laughed out loud(LOL). I went to this tournament with ZERO expectation for a long run, really just wanting to get into as much action as i could, and with some OK play and some lucky rolls and twist I surpassed any and all my expectations.

Thank You to Col. Bille for dealing with my little quirts and giving me positive reinforcement to my game.

Thank You Mr. Bill Rowsey for "EVERYTHING!!" you did for this tournament from money to the unmatched hospitality you gave each and everyone of us fellow one pocketers. You have been a legendary name for Mississippi Pool for decades, and all though you got my game overrated I want to also thank you setting a benchmark for me to continue to play this game for.

Thank You John Crabb, Dustin Miller, Jeanne Long, Bill Meyers, Matt Hilton, and whoever else help with the production of this great event that I hope to never miss.

Thank you Tom Wirth for giving me a cheap spar lesson when I got to town that only cost me pool time and a meal, i have always been a hands on person and playing(gambling) with you helps my game, and is worth every penny in my opinion. I know it has been a long time since you have been in the heat of a real battle and I know your game is above what you played this weekend, but i hope u know it was an honor to get to compete with you, and made some great shots both offence and defense.

Thank you to the one and only FEDEX Johnny Willis you are a really big reason I won this thing, gambling with you was the push i needed to beat those guys, im so glad i didn't have to face you in this thing because you got what it takes to snap it off as well.

TOURNAMENT:
1st match John Rawski, he told me about his glasses issue and I don't know if that was a problem for him but he never really seem to get anything going on me, i think it was the 1st game where at one point he had 7 coins on the rail, I would love to say I had something to do with that but I really didn't. I know he is a real strong player and was excited to get to play him and as a bonus we played on the only Diamond in the building.

2nd match John Crabb he may have been a bit distracted with helping with tournament, and I was able to not give him much to shoot at even though we played on one of the bigger pocket Gold Crowns that i'm not fan of or very comfortable playing on. I don't run balls real well so the tighter the table the better for me to try and out move someone IMO.

3rd match THE Tom Wirth to say I was everything that makes you dog it was an understatement, but getting to know Mr. Tom from the 1st MOT to this weeks event has given me a bit of comfortableness that helps me stay under control with him, he is a friendly and funny guy, but with the fact that he has just about every shot in his arsenal you have to play your very best to win, well i did not play my best, but he will probably tell you he did not as well, nevertheless playing him felt like I was on one of the accustat videos that I have watched of 2 great champs playing shots that I may never have the nerve to shoot, caroms, combos, banks, multi-rail safety moves, but this best move that i like most was the one before the 1st game as he bends down to break the balls he looks up and says, " You have read my book?" I was able get by him to play on Sunday, sorry i don't have more details on this match because the shot he plays in this was great, wish i could get a copy of it.

4th match Mr. Robert Newkirk, he beat me in Chalmette, he beat me here in September, and i though about those matches alot and the main thing i felt i did wrong in those was i let him control every aspect of the games and matches, and after winning gambling all weekend and winning up to this point i had the confidence and told myself and even told him that im going at him instead him over powering me, that will only work if i was accurate enough, and keep balls by my hole, i did not do that great, but i defiantly was not going to try to move with his 40 plus years of knowledge. It was very tight and great match that is going to help my game so many ways.

Finals Mr. Wirth this was a replay of our match from the day before, he had great shots that was a bit off leaving just enough window for me to gain the victory.

I do want to say this though both Mr. Robert, and Mr. Wirth missed shots in our matches that would have ended my run to win this event and i would be a fool to sit here and say I beat these guys i know that they beat themselves more than i beat them.

Also i want to say of my excitement actions that i was doing during any of my matches, that i mean ZERO disrespect towards my opponent, i try to show the respect that i would expect to be shown, but i thought about the things i was doing and hopefully everyone knows that i was just overly excited to be where i was.

Sorry if this is unreadable

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
TOURNAMENT:
1st match John Rawski, he told me about his glasses issue and I don't know if that was a problem for him but he never really seem to get anything going on me, i think it was the 1st game where at one point he had 7 coins on the rail, I would love to say I had something to do with that but I really didn't. I know he is a real strong player and was excited to get to play him and as a bonus we played on the only Diamond in the building.
In response to my glasses issue. I only mentioned the glasses to you because they look so bizarre. They worked exceptionally fine for me. :cool: If I didn't have those crazy, upside down glasses then it would have been a problem. But the way I played, and the way you played... I could understand how you or anyone else may have thought the glasses were an issue. They were not.

Yes, I did have minus 7 at one point, but somehow the Pool Gods seen it for me to make "one ball" to cut it down to minus 6. The reality of our three game match was that you played exceptional, as if you were going to go undefeated in the tournament. And you did!

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Congratulations, Jason. You played great.

What's the deal ? LOL:lol:lol You young whippersnappers are not supposed to win at this old man's game.:)

Seriously, though, I am glad to see you win it. Now you are qualified to coach Col. Bille:D

Had a great time as usual, can't wait til next one. I truly hope that Bill continues to have us.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Congrats, Jason.. I watched finals and also another one of your matches.. High speed, indeed... enjoyed it..

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Congratulations Jason. The confidence you displayed throughout your matches and your discipline in refraining from flyers helped propel you to the Championship. I offer no excuses for losing to you in either of our two tournament matches. You outplayed me. Still, I think my best game is right around the bend and I will do my best to bring it out in Philadelphia. That is if I can make it.

You see, I've learned something about myself during this event. Something I had forgotten I had many years ago. I learned that my comfort level grows with every round I successfully get through and my intensity and concentration skills improves at the same rate. So, Jason, I suggest to you and all other hopeful future champs out there, get ready 'cause I ain't done yet.

Jason, you now have something no one can every take from you. You won the 2019 Memphis Onepocket.org Championship. It was a pleasure playing you. WELL DONE AND WELL DESERVED.

Tom Wirth

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Congratulations, Jason. You played great.

What's the deal ? LOL:lol:lol You young whippersnappers are not supposed to win at this old man's game.:)

Seriously, though, I am glad to see you win it. Now you are qualified to coach Col. Bille:D

Had a great time as usual, can't wait til next one. I truly hope that Bill continues to have us.

Mr. Newkirk, I admire you. You play hard and try your best with every shot. You play within your limitations and treat your failures as you do your successes. You play in "the now" seemingly unaffected by what happened a moment ago. A rare and enviable trait.
Add that to the fact that you are one of the nicest guys I have had the pleasure to play and I begin to wonder if you are even Human.

Nice shooting Robert. I hope you consider me a friend. I certainly do you.

Tom

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
Congrats, Jason.. I watched finals and also another one of your matches.. High speed, indeed... enjoyed it..

Yep I told everyone that me and Mr. Newkrik's match was going to the fasted semi finals ever, because it seems we both know what we are going to shoot before the other stands up from last shot.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
After being in my biggest Action/Practice drought in some 15 years if you would have told me I was going to beat Mr. Tom Wirth, Mr. Robert Newkirk, then Mr. Wirth again in the finals to claim my biggest one hole tournament payday, i would have literally laughed out loud(LOL). I went to this tournament with ZERO expectation for a long run, really just wanting to get into as much action as i could, and with some OK play and some lucky rolls and twist I surpassed any and all my expectations.

Thank You to Col. Bille for dealing with my little quirts and giving me positive reinforcement to my game.

Thank You Mr. Bill Rowsey for "EVERYTHING!!" you did for this tournament from money to the unmatched hospitality you gave each and everyone of us fellow one pocketers. You have been a legendary name for Mississippi Pool for decades, and all though you got my game overrated I want to also thank you setting a benchmark for me to continue to play this game for.

Thank You John Crabb, Dustin Miller, Jeanne Long, Bill Meyers, Matt Hilton, and whoever else help with the production of this great event that I hope to never miss.

Thank you Tom Wirth for giving me a cheap spar lesson when I got to town that only cost me pool time and a meal, i have always been a hands on person and playing(gambling) with you helps my game, and is worth every penny in my opinion. I know it has been a long time since you have been in the heat of a real battle and I know your game is above what you played this weekend, but i hope u know it was an honor to get to compete with you, and made some great shots both offence and defense.

Thank you to the one and only FEDEX Johnny Willis you are a really big reason I won this thing, gambling with you was the push i needed to beat those guys, im so glad i didn't have to face you in this thing because you got what it takes to snap it off as well.

TOURNAMENT:

2nd match John Crabb he may have been a bit distracted with helping with tournament, and I was able to not give him much to shoot at even though we played on one of the bigger pocket Gold Crowns that i'm not fan of or very comfortable playing on. I don't run balls real well so the tighter the table the better for me to try and out move someone IMO.

3rd match THE Tom Wirth to say I was everything that makes you dog it was an understatement, but getting to know Mr. Tom from the 1st MOT to this weeks event has given me a bit of comfortableness that helps me stay under control with him, he is a friendly and funny guy, but with the fact that he has just about every shot in his arsenal you have to play your very best to win, well i did not play my best, but he will probably tell you he did not as well, nevertheless playing him felt like I was on one of the accustat videos that I have watched of 2 great champs playing shots that I may never have the nerve to shoot, caroms, combos, banks, multi-rail safety moves, but this best move that i like most was the one before the 1st game as he bends down to break the balls he looks up and says, " You have read my book?" I was able get by him to play on Sunday, sorry i don't have more details on this match because the shot he plays in this was great, wish i could get a copy of it.

4th match Mr. Robert Newkirk, he beat me in Chalmette, he beat me here in September, and i though about those matches alot and the main thing i felt i did wrong in those was i let him control every aspect of the games and matches, and after winning gambling all weekend and winning up to this point i had the confidence and told myself and even told him that im going at him instead him over powering me, that will only work if i was accurate enough, and keep balls by my hole, i did not do that great, but i defiantly was not going to try to move with his 40 plus years of knowledge. It was very tight and great match that is going to help my game so many ways.

Finals Mr. Wirth this was a replay of our match from the day before, he had great shots that was a bit off leaving just enough window for me to gain the victory.

I do want to say this though both Mr. Robert, and Mr. Wirth missed shots in our matches that would have ended my run to win this event and i would be a fool to sit here and say I beat these guys i know that they beat themselves more than i beat them.

Also i want to say of my excitement actions that i was doing during any of my matches, that i mean ZERO disrespect towards my opponent, i try to show the respect that i would expect to be shown, but i thought about the things i was doing and hopefully everyone knows that i was just overly excited to be where i was.

Well done brother. If I couldn't win then you definitely had my vote. I had to watch the finals from my hotel but I almost jumped out of my boxers when you stroked in that 3-railer. You were definitely the darling of the event.

I too want to thank everyone for making it possible. Well worth the two planes and 3000 miles to get there. I love that place. The locals are super friendly and what can I say about a room with that much character.

See you boys in Philly.

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
Well done brother. If I couldn't win then you definitely had my vote. I had to watch the finals from my hotel but I almost jumped out of my boxers when you stroked in that 3-railer. You were definitely the darling of the event.

See you boys in Philly.

He left me 2 3 railers in a row and i hit that one well.
See ya in Philly, buddy

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
He left me 2 3 railers in a row and i hit that one well.
See ya in Philly, buddy

Jason, I didn't want to say it but you've forced me to. I obviously became mentally fatigued at that point and though I immediately realized my mistake the first time I left you that three rail bank, I went and did it again anyway. :frus That's what happens when a long day of intense thinking wears me down. Brain farts! :frus:frus:frus

You hit the second one perfectly and I deserved losing that game. A huge momentum shift 3 to 2 Vs 2 to 3. :(

Tom

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Nice report on your tournament Jason. Congratulations! Your game improves with each passing year.

JoeyA

TOURNAMENT:

lfigueroa

Verified Member

TOURNAMENT:

Very readable, Jason.

Congrats again.

Lou Figueroa