Speeding up the game?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Just give it a thought.... there are some pros and cons to every 'change' that is considered.

Ball in Hand anywhere on the table for all fouls.

Remember what this did for 9 ball when it was introduced? instead of the roll out or 2 foul BIH?

There use to be a limit of one 'intentional' foul per game back in the 70s and 80s One Pocket tournaments... remember that?

It would change the game and the strategy. But, by how much... and remember... this would only be for tournament play.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
Just give it a thought.... there are some pros and cons to every 'change' that is considered.
Ball in Hand anywhere on the table for all fouls.Remember what this did for 9 ball when it was introduced? instead of the roll out or 2 foul BIH? There use to be a limit of one 'intentional' foul per game back in the 70s and 80s One Pocket tournaments... remember that? It would change the game and the strategy. But, by how much... and remember... this would only be for tournament play.
That's a tricky proposition, Tom. I think one-pocket is like baseball: it can't be rushed. HOWEVER --as you say-- in tournament play it might come in handy, especially for obviously slow players. I recall a couple of the matches at the U.S. Open 1P tournament two summers ago that took six hours!!

BIH is a little too draconian to my taste. With decent players, a foul would oftentimes mean loss of game!

Limiting each game to one intentional foul per player might have some effect, although it doesn't come up that much for the average level player.

One option might be to deduct a game from the race of slow players' matches. For example if two guys are still in mid game after an hour, shorten their race: from 4 to 3, from 3 to 2, etc. Another possibility: if after an hour's play the opponents have only made 2-3 balls, announce that they are now racing to 5 or 6 balls rather than 8. Or call the game a draw, and add a win to each of their scores.

Most guys play right along, but as you well know, some are painfully slow. The TD or referee should be given wide discretion to speed up matches.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It seems to me that tournament directors need a shot clock option for some players to keep them moving. It's one thing to have an uptable game, but yet another to see painfully long shot contemplation, over and over and over and over again.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NH Steve said:
It seems to me that tournament directors need a shot clock option for some players to keep them moving. It's one thing to have an uptable game, but yet another to see painfully long shot contemplation, over and over and over and over again.

I totally agree Steve. I would like to hear from some of the old timer's who have seen Frank "Bananas" Rodriguiz play one pocket. He was the crown king of slow players. You couldn't even stand to watch if you were staking him!!!

Dick

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just for you, Dick

Just for you, Dick

Dick Mc Morran said:
I totally agree Steve. I would like to hear from some of the old timer's who have seen Frank "Bananas" Rodriguiz play one pocket. He was the crown king of slow players. You couldn't even stand to watch if you were staking him!!!

Dick

Just for you, Dickie boy, an excerpt from my book the GosPool about one of my early heroes, Bananas. Enjoy.

Top Punishment Absorbers
Bobby Strauss, champion horse-handicapper and a shortstop pool player. In Miami, FL's Congress Bowl, he went for 35 games of One‑Pocket at a sawbuck a game without a raise, to top player Harry Cohen of NY. Strauss did try to raise the bet, but Harry wouldn't budge.
Bobby topped that masochistic effort with a 58-game One‑Pocket lashing playing one of the foremost grinders* of all-time, Frank "Bananas" Rodriquez from San Antonio, TX.
Strauss played Bananas for $30 a game in the 72-hour session — also without a raise. Bananas, an old school hustler, had raised pool-water-torture to a fine art. Not even 70-plus hours of pool and being a jillion games ahead could entice Bananas to loosen up and go for a marginal shot. His laborious preparation before every shot was maddening. He would take 2 to 3 minutes to drill in a hanger game ball. Even those sweating the session — of which I was one — got the shivers watching Bananas' relentless, sadistic performance.

From the files of,
the Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
...top player Harry Cohen of NY...
Fred, was Harry Cohen called Harry "the horse"? Did he move to L.A. in the 1960's? I knew a Harry from N.Y. in the L.A. scene then who was a tough games maker and good shooter. He played good one-pocket, and other pool games; and also was a tough 3-cushion player. He was probably in his late 40's/early 50's then.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Creep

Creep

gulfportdoc said:
Fred, was Harry Cohen called Harry "the horse"? Did he move to L.A. in the 1960's? I knew a Harry from N.Y. in the L.A. scene then who was a tough games maker and good shooter. He played good one-pocket, and other pool games; and also was a tough 3-cushion player. He was probably in his late 40's/early 50's then.

Doc

If you can add cheap, obnoxious creep then thats the guy.

the Beard

Be gone for a few days.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Running about 60+ One Pocket tournaments in the last 5 years, I've been witnessed to the agonizing plunder of two slow players pushing balls up table taking 30+ minutes to get 10 ball up table and another 30+ minutes to get the other 5 balls up table....

Shot clocks? I've used them and all that does is make the players miss quicker and even when the 'sell out' from the miss occurs, the opponent is too shakey to take advantage and BANG.. into the rail and you know he blames you for speeding up his shot on a 30 sec shot clock.

I hate shot clocks in one pocket....

I have used the 2hr limit in a race to 2 and after an hour is the score is 1-0 and the ball count is above 10 (7-3, 6-4 or 5-5) I just advise that there is an hour left and who ever is ahead at the end of an hour will be the winner.

I still don't like that and neither do the players. Too much positioning 'slow down when your are ahead or just play safe and shoot the ducks when possible.

I think the biggest advantage to BIH anywhere on the table is the same as the 'roll out 2 shot foul 9 ball' to "BIH anywhere 9ball" takes away from the BIG advantage of the Skilled over the average to novice. And like the change in 9 ball... just might bring more of the YOUTH into this great game.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Just for you, Dickie boy, an excerpt from my book the GosPool about one of my early heroes, Bananas. Enjoy.

Top Punishment Absorbers
Bobby Strauss, champion horse-handicapper and a shortstop pool player. In Miami, FL's Congress Bowl, he went for 35 games of One‑Pocket at a sawbuck a game without a raise, to top player Harry Cohen of NY. Strauss did try to raise the bet, but Harry wouldn't budge.
Bobby topped that masochistic effort with a 58-game One‑Pocket lashing playing one of the foremost grinders* of all-time, Frank "Bananas" Rodriquez from San Antonio, TX.
Strauss played Bananas for $30 a game in the 72-hour session — also without a raise. Bananas, an old school hustler, had raised pool-water-torture to a fine art. Not even 70-plus hours of pool and being a jillion games ahead could entice Bananas to loosen up and go for a marginal shot. His laborious preparation before every shot was maddening. He would take 2 to 3 minutes to drill in a hanger game ball. Even those sweating the session — of which I was one — got the shivers watching Bananas' relentless, sadistic performance.

From the files of,
the Beard

Fred, Couldn't find a link to click on ? Sure would like to see old Rod run a few
balls again ( minimum 30 min. video needed)

Disregard Fred, I see now its just an exerpt... Thanks.

Dick

Last edited:

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Speaking of tournaments you run

Speaking of tournaments you run

SactownTom said:
Running about 60+ One Pocket tournaments in the last 5 years, I've been witnessed to the agonizing plunder of two slow players pushing balls up table taking 30+ minutes to get 10 ball up table and another 30+ minutes to get the other 5 balls up table....

Shot clocks? I've used them and all that does is make the players miss quicker and even when the 'sell out' from the miss occurs, the opponent is too shakey to take advantage and BANG.. into the rail and you know he blames you for speeding up his shot on a 30 sec shot clock.

I hate shot clocks in one pocket....

I have used the 2hr limit in a race to 2 and after an hour is the score is 1-0 and the ball count is above 10 (7-3, 6-4 or 5-5) I just advise that there is an hour left and who ever is ahead at the end of an hour will be the winner.

I still don't like that and neither do the players. Too much positioning 'slow down when your are ahead or just play safe and shoot the ducks when possible.

I think the biggest advantage to BIH anywhere on the table is the same as the 'roll out 2 shot foul 9 ball' to "BIH anywhere 9ball" takes away from the BIG advantage of the Skilled over the average to novice. And like the change in 9 ball... just might bring more of the YOUTH into this great game.

What were the results of last weekends first of the month tourneys?
Also are there any dates for the summer jamboree? Last I looked no info on website.
I am trying 1p and 9b on 3rd weekends. No doubt it will take awhile to get going but am trying. 1p is handicapped however. But considering gas prices I doubt Saramento guys will come unless they are vacationing at boardwalk.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
No Jamboree this year... Sorry.

We are having an increased Monthly 1P and 9B added for May, Jun, July and August.

First Saturday of the Month One Pocket $500 added (format stays the same $20 entry fee DE race to 2)

First Sunday of the Month 9 Ball $1000 added (same format DE 6W 4L $25 enty fee).

Last weekend Ernesto Dominguez (he and his son were here recoving tables) took 1st place in the One Pocket event, Tony Melindez took 2nd. Billy Palmer took 3rd. 39 players. $1280.00 in the pot. Left at 315am

The 9 Ball event was won by Jeff Gregory with George Michaels in 2nd. 64 Players $2600.00 in the pot. Was over at Midnight.

suki said:
What were the results of last weekends first of the month tourneys?
Also are there any dates for the summer jamboree? Last I looked no info on website.
I am trying 1p and 9b on 3rd weekends. No doubt it will take awhile to get going but am trying. 1p is handicapped however. But considering gas prices I doubt Saramento guys will come unless they are vacationing at boardwalk.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Nothing to click on

Nothing to click on

Dick Mc Morran said:
Fred, Couldn't find a link to click on ? Sure would like to see old Rod run a few
balls again ( minimum 30 min. video needed)

Dick

Dick, there is no link to click on. The excerpt is from my book, The GosPool According to the Beard. Apparently you are one of the 5 people on earth who hasnt read it yet. I have no video of the Banana Man.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
SPEEDO 1pkt and Bank pool

SPEEDO 1pkt and Bank pool

I've posted in my blog my copyrighted ideas and format to speed up tournament 1pkt and bank pool. Grady borrowed some of the rules from me a few years back when he ran a 1pkt tourn. They worked pretty well the one time they were used. They are sometimes referred to, incorrectly I might add, as "Grady's rules." I devised these rules based on what I learned defending against some of our greatest "stall" artists, Paul Jones, Frank McGowan, Chris McGeehan etc. These were guys that I had 4 to 6 hour matches with playing 4 out of 7. The games revert to the "dead in the water" mode when the pockets and the banking lanes get clogged up. If the balls cluster around the back corner pockets in 1pkt that stops all 2 in the corners, 3 in the corners and straight backs. My rules foil that tactic. Determining the balk lines is no harder than determining what balls are behind the string after a scratch. They are both done quite well visually.

http://secretsofahardcorepoolhustler.blogspot.com/

the Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
They worked pretty well the one time they were used.
Fred, what was some of the discussion at the 1P tournament in which the Speedo rules were used? Did the guys seem to get the hang of them quickly? Did the rules significantly alter the game's strategy?

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wasnt there

Wasnt there

gulfportdoc said:
Fred, what was some of the discussion at the 1P tournament in which the Speedo rules were used? Did the guys seem to get the hang of them quickly? Did the rules significantly alter the game's strategy?

Doc

Doc, I didnt attend the tournament and never really got any real feedback from anybody. All that's should be required is that the trourny director or ref should be familiar with the rules that are all contained on one page. My son and I play amongst ourselves all the time using these rules. the stategy is just more offensive opportunities.

the Beard