What's your choice

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
My opponent broke, what's your shot. There's no right answer, just your opinion. I'll post my answer later. :)
Rod.

Attachments

• open 001.jpg
    open 001.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I'd probably hit the 6/4/3 with a stun shot and play all cueball to snuggle right in that little pocket of the 11/15. I'd try to hit it as hard as I could as long as I could control the cueball. The six should head off the right and the 3 will either make the 8 ball or knock it out and maybe you get lucky and move most of his stuff out or maybe get unlucky and leave something there. But you control your cueball, he can't get to them and you live to see another shot.

(This type of strategy hasn't been faring too well for me lately. I"m on a losing streak and been selling out too much.) But I"m learning about Power One Pocket and the pitfalls of it when your brain is writing checks your stroke can't write.:D

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I will billiard gently off the 2 and snug the CB in below the 10, provided I can leave the 2 and 5 so there is no bank.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
I'd probably hit the 6/4/3 with a stun shot and play all cueball to snuggle right in that little pocket of the 11/15. I'd try to hit it as hard as I could as long as I could control the cueball. The six should head off the right and the 3 will either make the 8 ball or knock it out and maybe you get lucky and move most of his stuff out or maybe get unlucky and leave something there. But you control your cueball, he can't get to them and you live to see another shot.

(This type of strategy hasn't been faring too well for me lately. I"m on a losing streak and been selling out too much.) But I"m learning about Power One Pocket and the pitfalls of it when your brain is writing checks your stroke can't write.:D

You got part off iy wright the cue ball inbetween the 11 and the 15 ball.

And the three ball is hard too make out exacly what angle.

You. Could make the 8 ball in your pocket the tree ball hiting the eight ball from behind.

Or just get a peace off the 8 ball and the tree ball will go to youre pocket either way it will work out good .

If you get the cueball inberween the 11 and 15 ball. And I hope the 15 12 combination isnt dead. Or thats what I would shoot. But you cant tell from the picture.

But the 3 ball hiyying the eight ball from behind is very strong shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The first two shots I saw were the same one's Red & vapros picked. If there isn't room under the 10 for vapros shot, I wouldn't try that here. So that leave's Red's shot.

Another possibility would be to kick one or three rails behind the 8-ball. Or bank the 1 into the stack and go three rails into the 8 with the cue ball if you are feeling frisky. But vapros shot looks like the way to go.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Cut the six and lay whitey behind the 15 such that your tangent line off the 15 takes you up table. This will allow the combination/third ball to clip the 8and bank the ball that strikes the 8 towards your hole. If you miss the 8 then it will bank kick the 8 to your side, but you'll sill have to deal with your opponents two balls.

dontscratch

Verified Member
From
Freeman va
I would take a scratch, and leave him a long off angle combo from somewhere on the head rail. It is the first game , and your opponent may not be warmed up, and not feel comfortable with this shot.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
NH Steve said:
The first two shots I saw were the same one's Red & vapros picked. If there isn't room under the 10 for vapros shot, I wouldn't try that here. So that leave's Red's shot.

Another possibility would be to kick one or three rails behind the 8-ball. Or bank the 1 into the stack and go three rails into the 8 with the cue ball if you are feeling frisky. But vapros shot looks like the way to go.

I like your second option but with my stroke I'd plan on leaving the cue ball on or near my side rail.

dontscratch

Verified Member
From
Freeman va
sorry-I thought it said it was the first game-would still pbobably take the scratch if my opponent was old like me with slightly fuzzy eyes.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
My opponent broke, what's your shot. There's no right answer, just your opinion. I'll post my answer later. :)
Rod.

The obvious and most popular shot is the one that I would shoot, but there is another shot possibly available.

The other shot plays better on a tight pocket table, and that is to play the carom off the 1 ball and send the cue ball behind the 8 ball. If the 8 ball is positioned 1-1/2" from the side rail that will reduce the scratch possibility more than if it was positioned 2" from the side rail. Also on a tight table the cue ball will stay on the table more often than on a looser pocket table.

Playing the obvious shot, the 6-4-3- combination into the 8 ball could work out well for you if you reposition a ball by your pocket, but there's no guarantee that will happen. Not only that but by playing that shot you will open up balls on your opponents side of the table, creating a more threatening position for him if your shot doesn't work out.
Also if there's a lot of humidity in the room I would lean toward the carom off the 1 ball into the back of the 8 ball. The humidity would lessen the scratch possibility even more. So this decision is not a cut and dry one, there are certain conditions that would persuade me to play the carom take out shot, over the 6-4-3- combo.

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
The other shot plays better on a tight pocket table, and that is to play the carom off the 1 ball and send the cue ball behind the 8 ball. If the 8 ball is positioned 1-1/2" from the side rail that will reduce the scratch possibility more than if it was positioned 2" from the side rail. Also on a tight table the cue ball will stay on the table more often than on a looser pocket table.
That's the shot I like: drawing whitey off the 1-ball with low left. I just have a good feel for those shots. It seems easy to hit the long rail behind the 8-ball.

That's probably going to tie up his 8 and 10 balls. That leaves nothing that will go into his hole. And there will be no cross corner bank on the 5-ball.

The 6-4-3 could turn out real well, but it also could be a disaster. I'd shoot it only if I was sure it would make the 8 and roll the 3-ball toward my side. But I still like the 1-ball shot better. It definitely reverses the break advantage.

Doc

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
I don't think thats one the games I played against rod recently .. but if not it's a position that came up 2 times in our recent games..one time I executed Billy's shot very well and the other time I remember ..I didn't follow through with the stroke ..didn't kill q ball so instead of slippin in behind the 8 well .. was not pretty .. my bad :(

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I shot the obvious shot that Greg, Artie, N.H.Steve and Billy I saw. The result didn't get one on my side as Billy mentioned. :)
I got lucky again when my opponent tried to get me back in the stack he miscued and left it short. I caromed the 2 ball off the 3 ball, hung it up and kicked the 10 ball over. Anyway after the miscue, I was out of the break. :D
Rod.
PS, I shot pretty hard, maybe too hard. Look where the 8 ball and 5 balls ended.

Attachments

• open 002.JPG
    open 002.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 0

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
dontscratch said:
I would take a scratch, and leave him a long off angle combo from somewhere on the head rail. It is the first game , and your opponent may not be warmed up, and not feel comfortable with this shot.

I like it......................

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
I shot the obvious shot that Greg, Artie, N.H.Steve and Billy I saw. The result didn't get one on my side as Billy mentioned. :)
I got lucky again when my opponent tried to get me back in the stack he miscued and left it short. I caromed the 2 ball off the 3 ball, hung it up and kicked the 10 ball over. Anyway after the miscue, I was out of the break. :D
Rod.
PS, I shot pretty hard, maybe too hard. Look where the 8 ball and 5 balls ended.

Thats very good especialy if you figured too make the 6 ball. THats great.