Onepocket.org only tourney

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
i really hope we get to meet

If we can ever get you out of Florida we probably will. New Orleans is only a hop, skip and a jump from Florida (hop, skip and jump = 3 states) unless you're in South Florida; then it's more like 6 states. :heh

If you don't show up pretty soon, I might eventually quit wishin' you would. :D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
"I didn't even bring my best outfit"....:heh:heh:heh:heh:heh:heh
john i really hope we get to meet one day
you are A OK in my book...:)

He's the best guy you'll ever meet Larry, a kind man with a generous spirit. Always willing to lend a helping hand and a friendly smile in all weathers. You'll be glad you met him... :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
He's the best guy you'll ever meet Larry, a kind man with a generous spirit. Always willing to lend a helping hand and a friendly smile in all weathers. You'll be glad you met him... :)

Damn. No wonder my mom said I shoulda been an aluminum siding salesman. If there are many people out there as easy to scam as Sparks, Ida made a fortune!

ER....uh... btw... uh... Thank you. That's so nice I really don't know what to say... I guess you can tell that from the above. :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Damn. No wonder my mom said I shoulda been an aluminum siding salesman. If there are many people out there as easy to scam as Sparks, Ida made a fortune!

ER....uh... btw... uh... Thank you. That's so nice I really don't know what to say... I guess you can tell that from the above. :eek:

Change your handle to "The Tin Man" can sell anything, will buy everything"

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I would help anyway I can. I would plan a vacation with mama for a few days then send her home.:D

Depending on the Parish in LA, smoking is allowed in many places, was just thru there in December. My preference is a city that has Southwest Airlines, seeing as how they have such good prices, and don't make ya jump thru hoops if ya wanna/have to cancel. I would also like the room to be somewhat close to the airport, and most important of all is NO Smoking. For us old guys, it's getting ta be too much and a deal breaker. For central locations, Shooters in Olathe, has a good herd of Gold Crowns, room owner Dan Tull, a stand up guy, as are his staff. It's nearly in the Middle of the US and Many are able to drive there. It's a room for Players, always has been, huge, probably 20,000 + square ft. It has a mix of GC's and 7 footers with a 3 cush table. I saw the owner once play a guy for 20K, and won. Dan also owns a HVAC company.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
My three choices for dates and locations are Sept in Chicago, October in Southaven (South Memphis) or early December in Houston.

I prefer not handicapped only to avoid sqabbling/suspicions. Tiered would be fine however.

My perfect format would be 25 players, first come/first served according to entry fee payment. 5 Sections of 5 players (randomly placed). Race to 2 Round Robin in each section. 5 winners play race to 2 Round Robin for the title/places. This probably requires a venue with 10 tables.Two tables assigned to each section... matches could probably be scheduled as the players in that section agree... should be no problem, just four rounds in each section could be completed in one day. Finals section among initial section winners on the second day. All this "one day" stuff if the preference is to complete the whole thing on a Sat and Sun. Three days would be more leisurely, but might knock out some people with real jobs.

To give more people a chance to get "in the money" as we did in Houston, 2nd place finishers in each section could win 150% of entry.

25 players, $100 entry, with NO money added:

1st -- 550
2nd -- 425
3rd -- 325
4th -- 275
5th -- 200

2nd place finishers in each section: 145 each.

Total -- 2500

All ties broken by: 1st, games won; 2nd, games lost; third, coin flip in determining advance to finals, split the money for others. (Balls made would be more fair, but do we want to keep track of that?)

Oh, BTW, for "social" considerations, we might want to choose a venue where Al K Hall sales are permitted on Sunday since most of us won't be playing that day. Old Al makes rail-birding for some of us (a TINY minority I'm sure) more enjoyable ... maybe just Hendy and Miller. :D )

Anything about this any of you don't like, please write a detailed explanation of your thinking and email me at KMA @ GFY.com :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
For central locations, Shooters in Olathe, has a good herd of Gold Crowns, room owner Dan Tull, a stand up guy, as are his staff. It's nearly in the Middle of the US and Many are able to drive there. It's a room for Players, always has been, huge, probably 20,000 + square ft. It has a mix of GC's and 7 footers with a 3 cush table. I saw the owner once play a guy for 20K, and won. Dan also owns a HVAC company.

Yeah, I love Shooters, and it's everything you say, but it's about 40 miles from the airport. I don't know whether people might consider that a significant disadvantage. I'm sure Dan would be amenable to the idea of hosting it.

BTW, smoking, but excellent air-handling.

u12armresl

Verified Member
This doesn't really seem any different than the 2 tournaments that JH tries to put on.

Most of the people who will play in a 1p.org tournament are the same ones who would play in the super seniors tournament.

You wont ever be able to have a location that is central enough to draw people who wouldn't already be coming. You'll get the same 10-20 people each time.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
This doesn't really seem any different than the 2 tournaments that JH tries to put on.

Most of the people who will play in a 1p.org tournament are the same ones who would play in the super seniors tournament.

You wont ever be able to have a location that is central enough to draw people who wouldn't already be coming. You'll get the same 10-20 people each time.

Bogies puts those on, some of us just help with the promotion. With a no age limit I believe we would draw at least 32 at any reasonable location.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Depending on the Parish in LA, smoking is allowed in many places, was just thru there in December. My preference is a city that has Southwest Airlines, seeing as how they have such good prices, and don't make ya jump thru hoops if ya wanna/have to cancel. I would also like the room to be somewhat close to the airport, and most important of all is NO Smoking. For us old guys, it's getting ta be too much and a deal breaker. For central locations, Shooters in Olathe, has a good herd of Gold Crowns, room owner Dan Tull, a stand up guy, as are his staff. It's nearly in the Middle of the US and Many are able to drive there. It's a room for Players, always has been, huge, probably 20,000 + square ft. It has a mix of GC's and 7 footers with a 3 cush table. I saw the owner once play a guy for 20K, and won. Dan also owns a HVAC company.
Bill, would you also like a chauffeur, a broad, and a quart of V.O.?:D

[BTW, Lacy's Cue is non-smoking]

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I mentioned it before but will mention again -- if there were preliminary flights (AKA qualifier tournaments) at various scattered locations then many more players would be able to participate, and the local winners could get a little $$ jumpstart on their travel costs.

Boston area for me :)
Philly area for Mitch and pals
Chicago area for Ghost and Clodius and
LA area
SF/Sacramento area
Houston area

etc...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I mentioned it before but will mention again -- if there were preliminary flights (AKA qualifier tournaments) at various scattered locations then many more players would be able to participate, and the local winners could get a little $$ jumpstart on their travel costs.

Boston area for me :)
Philly area for Mitch and pals
Chicago area for Ghost and Clodius and
LA area
SF/Sacramento area
Houston area

etc...

I do like this idea Steve. There is a hall in MD that would be central to any philly and DC/MD guys. It does defeat the purpose of a big get together, but it's worth considering. I'm fine with anything. If I can go, I will. Would love to meet a bunch of you louts that I never have. 😊

I do also love the idea of a room at the derby.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Yeah, I love Shooters, and it's everything you say, but it's about 40 miles from the airport. I don't know whether people might consider that a significant disadvantage. I'm sure Dan would be amenable to the idea of hosting it.

BTW, smoking, but excellent air-handling.

I'm gonna ask Jeff Melton what room he likes within the midsection of the US. He's a stand up guy, great player, southern boy with lots of brothers.... had breakfast with em all a few times, nice group of men. He's run a few rooms and played all over the Midwest.... I'll give em a shout out.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I do like this idea Steve. There is a hall in MD that would be central to any philly and DC/MD guys. It does defeat the purpose of a big get together, but it's worth considering. I'm fine with anything. If I can go, I will. Would love to meet a bunch of you louts that I never have. 😊

Getting a room at the Derby is highly unlikely, because they basically use every available room already. Besides the main events of Banks, One Pocket and 9-Ball they also feature Straight Pool, 10-Ball and now American Rotation.

Also, when we had the private OnePocket.org/AZBilliards room for a number of years there were issues with supervision and security that I think contributed to losing that.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I do like this idea Steve. There is a hall in MD that would be central to any philly and DC/MD guys. It does defeat the purpose of a big get together, but it's worth considering. I'm fine with anything. If I can go, I will. Would love to meet a bunch of you louts that I never have. ��

Even if we had qualifiers, we could still have regular buy in entries until the field was full.

I just brought up the qualifier idea as a way to get more people involved, and provide incentive for the winner of a qualifier to go.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Getting a room at the Derby is highly unlikely, because they basically use every available room already. Besides the main events of Banks, One Pocket and 9-Ball they also feature Straight Pool, 10-Ball and now American Rotation.

Also, when we had the private OnePocket.org/AZBilliards room for a number of years there were issues with supervision and security that I think contributed to losing that.

Ahhh. Ok. I will say that when ghost and I went to the pool hall in downtown Louisville, it was nice. We could always have a 1p getaway there as well one day during the derby.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Even if we had qualifiers, we could still have regular buy in entries until the field was full.

I just brought up the qualifier idea as a way to get more people involved, and provide incentive for the winner of a qualifier to go.

The problem with this is the disparity in skill.
There is only a few that reach a certain level.
It would be futile for someone like me to play in a qualifier against Wayne, Jerry, or the Barber.
Then that would exclude someone like me from participating in the main event.

u12armresl

Verified Member
Well said.

When you get in the $100 entry and above with travel, I have to greatly weigh if it is a race to 2 and race to 1 on losers side, single elim, and the level of talent there.

I play well under everyone on this site, and while I like to ship it, there aren't really any realistic heads up longer race tournaments that I could have a chance to even win a match in.

The problem with this is the disparity in skill.
There is only a few that reach a certain level.
It would be futile for someone like me to play in a qualifier against Wayne, Jerry, or the Barber.
Then that would exclude someone like me from participating in the main event.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm gonna ask Jeff Melton what room he likes within the midsection of the US. He's a stand up guy, great player, southern boy with lots of brothers.... had breakfast with em all a few times, nice group of men. He's run a few rooms and played all over the Midwest.... I'll give em a shout out.

Yep, Jeff would know.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well said.

When you get in the $100 entry and above with travel, I have to greatly weigh if it is a race to 2 and race to 1 on losers side, single elim, and the level of talent there.

I play well under everyone on this site, and while I like to ship it, there aren't really any realistic heads up longer race tournaments that I could have a chance to even win a match in.

I think the main idea with this tournament idea (in my mind, anyway) is the opportunity to mix and compete -- most likely in that order.

We could include a second chance tournament for everyone that gets knocked out in the first few rounds of the main event. In a regular double elimination tournament, I believe half of the field is eliminated after just two rounds each side (first round on the winner side, half the players go into the one-loss side; first round of the one-loss side, one quarter of the field is eliminated, 2nd round of the winners, another quarter of the players go to the one-loss side; second round of the one-loss, another quarter of the field is eliminated). Maybe at that point kick off the second chance.