we dont need to argue over ball numbers....:D
gp2.jpg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Jose Parica

Jose Parica

probably played off the 1/2 combination and went two rails in Grady's corner and snugged up behind the two stripes there. Good play from where he is, in a bad location. It's time to make a move.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
probably played off the 1/2 combination and went two rails in Grady's corner and snugged up behind the two stripes there. Good play from where he is, in a bad location. It's time to make a move.

I agree with most of this shot, you need to position the balls on your side of the table.

I would take the easy way out & move both the 1/2 a few inches where they go in my pocket and send the cue to the end rail. Snuggling up behind the other two balls would take someone with a higher skill level than mine. Perhaps the Ghost.:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I agree with most of this shot, you need to position the balls on your side of the table.

I would take the easy way out & move both the 1/2 a few inches where they go in my pocket and send the cue to the end rail. Snuggling up behind the other two balls would take someone with a higher skill level than mine. Perhaps the Ghost.:D

Thats the shot I like too,...But I thought you said you needed a "HIGHER" skill level than yours ?..Why go lower ?...;)

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The angle might be good to two rail the 8 into the 1. 8 goes close to pocket, 1 & 2 open up. QB on the rail.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
The angle might be good to two rail the 8 into the 1. 8 goes close to pocket, 1 & 2 open up. QB on the rail.

If the angle is okay to leave the cueball in the vacinity of the 8 or closer to the side/top rail, I also like this shot in this situation. With good pocket speed, it forces a sensible opponent to deal with it directly (if it doesn't drop). This would likely result in getting a better look to reposition balls from the opponents side of the table.

Martin

backplaying

Verified Member
If its laying right, I would bank the 4 toward my side and get behind the two stripes by his hole.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'd bank the 7 ball if the 4 ball's not in the way. Hope I don't scratch. :)
Rod.

Funny that you mentioned this shot, this is the exact shot (somewhat) that Buddy Hall showed me 25 years ago, he said Eddie Taylor showed it to him and he has played it many times with great results. I learned the shot from Buddy and I have also played the shot many, many times with great results.

The shot is positioned to where you feel that there is a double kiss...it appears that it's laying on the angle to go long.... disregard the fear of double kissing the shot and shoot it like you very well could get the kiss...but you dont... The cue ball will then hug the rail and drop down toward the pocket.;):cool: This shot can be hit with the speed to go all the way down toward the pocket with whitey, or go behind the two striped balls with a softer speed, your choice.

If the 7ball is laying in the position discussed, then I would also shoot your shot and like my position.

Dr. Bill

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
:D

If you break the 1/2 up and the 8 somewhere on that side and leave the cue up table, you probably would leave some type of cross bank or even a cut on the 14.

Hard to tell from the picture if the angle is there, but I sometimes shoot shots like that if I am stuck real good, which happens way too often these days.

When do you get to Northern CA so we can play some?:D

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
:D

If you break the 1/2 up and the 8 somewhere on that side and leave the cue up table, you probably would leave some type of cross bank or even a cut on the 14.

Hard to tell from the picture if the angle is there, but I sometimes shoot shots like that if I am stuck real good, which happens way too often these days.

When do you get to Northern CA so we can play some?:D

Sure you can leave a bank, but it might come with some risk after opening up some balls. The 7 is a good bank but other than one ball it doesn't do much good. The view of the table isn't good so these shots are just a guess.

I haven't been to NorCal in a long time. Hey, I just landed in New Orleans. You can get lots of action here.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

I'd bank the 7 ball if the 4 ball's not in the way. Hope I don't scratch. :)
Rod.

i would have come off the 1/2 since they are a problem for jose imho
since they dont go in his pocket and leave a large area grady can play safe into

but Rod gets the cookie...:D
jose studied the angle and fired it in...:)
he then cut the 12 in went 2 rails was lucky he didnt scratch in the side pocket . had an easy shot on the 14 with shape on the 13 to continue the run but dogged the 14:frus

gp7.jpg

gp8.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i would have come off the 1/2 since they are a problem for jose imho
since they dont go in his pocket and leave a large area grady can play safe into

but Rod gets the cookie...:D
jose studied the angle and fired it in...:)
he then cut the 12 in went 2 rails was lucky he didnt scratch in the side pocket . had an easy shot on the 14 with shape on the 13 to continue the run but dogged the 14:frus
View attachment 7054

View attachment 7055

he left himself like this
see bold ed part in the quote for his next 2 shots

Attachments

• gp6.jpg
    gp6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Funny that you mentioned this shot, this is the exact shot (somewhat) that Buddy Hall showed me 25 years ago, he said Eddie Taylor showed it to him and he has played it many times with great results. I learned the shot from Buddy and I have also played the shot many, many times with great results.

The shot is positioned to where you feel that there is a double kiss...it appears that it's laying on the angle to go long.... disregard the fear of double kissing the shot and shoot it like you very well could get the kiss...but you dont... The cue ball will then hug the rail and drop down toward the pocket.;):cool: This shot can be hit with the speed to go all the way down toward the pocket with whitey, or go behind the two striped balls with a softer speed, your choice.

If the 7ball is laying in the position discussed, then I would also shoot your shot and like my position.

Dr. Bill

Dr.Billy gets to share the cookie. He's the only other guy that liked/knew the shot. :)
Rod.

is this the kind of hit you need in the bank where the cue ball is on the spot
and the object ball is one diamnd belowthe side pocket and one ball out from the rail to bank cross side??
or similar to what freddy calls a side step angle bank???

rod since you posted first you deserve the cookie...:)
once we are showed the way we all can find the acorn....:eek:( billy JK)

billy explaining the shot i will concede should get something ....
i think jimmy B should send him a massage therapist for his back...:heh...:eek:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
is this the kind of hit you need in the bank where the cue ball is on the spot
and the object ball is one diamnd belowthe side pocket and one ball out from the rail to bank cross side??
or similar to what freddy calls a side step angle bank???

rod since you posted first you deserve the cookie...:)
once we are showed the way we all can find the acorn....:eek:( billy JK)

billy explaining the shot i will concede should get something ....
i think jimmy B should send him a massage therapist for his back...:heh...:eek:

Rodney is a very knowledgeable player who often sees shots that others don't, his perception of the game is outstanding even though he really doesn't go into detail about what he's thinking. I wish he would because if so, we all would learn a thing or two.:D

In regard to this particular bank the reason it looks to be a kiss and it's not, is because the object ball is frozen or close to the rail and when it's struck it leaves the rail before the cue ball can catch up to it. The cue ball will stop for an instant at contact, and that will be enough time for the object ball to move quickly away. The shot is on more often when the object ball is either frozen or very close to the rail, but you must hit a full ball for it to be played correctly.

Dr. Bill

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Rodney is a very knowledgeable player who often sees shots that others don't, his perception of the game is outstanding even though he really doesn't go into detail about what he's thinking. I wish he would because if so, we all would learn a thing or two. :D

Dr. Bill

Dr Bill, you nailed it again...I was only around Rod for a few years. He was quite a bit younger then...So I thought, "Well, I'll teach this whippersnapper a few things"..I gave him a small spot, and he handed me my ass !...I haven't seen, or talked to him, for 40 some years..
I'm sure glad we reconnected on this site.

We now exchange Emails, mostly political stuff, and a shared love for animals..He is a solid guy, and has taken a little heat for supporting me...
I am very glad to have a chance to reciprocate, and am proud to call him a friend.

SJD

PS..He still plays a pretty sporty (part time) game..as is obvious..If he had pursued pool, full time, no telling how good he could have been !..
....But, he was way too smart for that..;)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

I would take the easy way out & move both the 1/2 a few inches where they go in my pocket and send the cue to the end rail. Snuggling up behind the other two balls would take someone with a higher skill level than mine. Perhaps the Ghost..:eek: <------Gotta agree with you there John...:)

Just looked at this thread for the first time...yep, banking the 7 if it was laying good, or breaking up the 1&2, would be the obvious choices here.

- Ghost

backplaying

Verified Member
Against a couple of guys I know I would shoot the 8 in making sure to leave them on the rail.