Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 PM
crabbcatjohn crabbcatjohn is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Benton, Ky.
Posts: 2,408
Default

I've heard that about Buddy too.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:43 PM
androd's Avatar
androd androd is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Braunfels tx.
Posts: 7,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
You're talking about a different Rags.

Rags Fitzpatrick. Probably the best money player ever.

Bill S.
Your friend Eddie told me it was " Marcel Camp. "
He said he would play one game for all he had and play his very top speed for it.
Rod.
P.S. I'm sure there were many, but Camp alway bet his own.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-16-2015, 02:27 PM
LSJohn LSJohn is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: monett missouri
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androd View Post
Your friend Eddie told me it was " Marcel Camp. "
He said he would play one game for all he had and play his very top speed for it.
Rod.
P.S. I'm sure there were many, but Camp alway bet his own.
How good was Earl Shriver? I saw him play before I knew anything about 1P.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 PM
bstroud bstroud is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,410
Default

Played Camp in Macon some pay ball on the snooker table while Taylor was breaking the ring 9 ball game.

Eddy told me go ahead and play Camp some cheap and maybe I would learn something. Broke even but learned he played hard for any price.

I had asked Taylor who was the best one pocket player.

Earl S. was a little below the top players of his day. What he lacked in ability he made up for with brains. He matched up better than almost anyone.

Bill S.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-16-2015, 03:51 PM
LSJohn LSJohn is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: monett missouri
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post

Earl S. was a little below the top players of his day. What he lacked in ability he made up for with brains. He matched up better than almost anyone.

Bill S.
I saw him play Freddie "Sarge" Farris in Shreveport a few times, and I think Earl was playing him 4 or 5 no-count at least one of the times I saw them. I have no idea how good (bad) Freddie was. (He was a top-notch poker player.)
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-16-2015, 04:29 PM
bstroud bstroud is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,410
Default

John,

I alway avoided fooling with Earl. He was just to clever.

I did make an exception once.

Earl had brought a player down to Beanies named Allan Kiel. He played pretty strong and Earl had him playing on a Gold Crown with 4" pockets. He was robbing everyone.

Earl asked me if I wanted to play and I told him I would play 10 ahead 9 ball on his trick table if he would lay 1100 to 1000. He said OK and before I could get my cue out Cuban Joe and Dan Janes came over and asked to get in with me. I gave them 300 of my bet.

Earl caught me on a good day. Allan got one open shot on a 7 ball (he missed it) and it was all over. I got out off the break 9 times and never missed but one ball.

The time for both of us was 45 cents.

That was the last time I saw Earl.

Bill S.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 PM
LSJohn LSJohn is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: monett missouri
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
John,

I alway avoided fooling with Earl. He was just to clever.

I did make an exception once.

Earl had brought a player down to Beanies named Allan Kiel. He played pretty strong and Earl had him playing on a Gold Crown with 4" pockets. He was robbing everyone.

Earl asked me if I wanted to play and I told him I would play 10 ahead 9 ball on his trick table if he would lay 1100 to 1000. He said OK and before I could get my cue out Cuban Joe and Dan Janes came over and asked to get in with me. I gave them 300 of my bet.

Earl caught me on a good day. Allan got one open shot on a 7 ball (he missed it) and it was all over. I got out off the break 9 times and never missed but one ball.

The time for both of us was 45 cents.

That was the last time I saw Earl.

Bill S.
Great story, and a happy ending too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Drop Pocket's Avatar
Drop Pocket Drop Pocket is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
John,

I alway avoided fooling with Earl. He was just to clever.

I did make an exception once.

Earl had brought a player down to Beanies named Allan Kiel. He played pretty strong and Earl had him playing on a Gold Crown with 4" pockets. He was robbing everyone.

Earl asked me if I wanted to play and I told him I would play 10 ahead 9 ball on his trick table if he would lay 1100 to 1000. He said OK and before I could get my cue out Cuban Joe and Dan Janes came over and asked to get in with me. I gave them 300 of my bet.

Earl caught me on a good day. Allan got one open shot on a 7 ball (he missed it) and it was all over. I got out off the break 9 times and never missed but one ball.

The time for both of us was 45 cents.
,
That was the last time I saw Earl.

Bill S.
I know Allan, he's somewhere in Florida, last I knew. Bill, did he know who you were? I think he may have told me about that. He ran with Gary Pinkowski quite a bit, I know. He wasn't playing much when I met him, just drinking too much (hell, we all were!) He also told me about getting beat by Buddy Hall.

Last edited by Drop Pocket; 07-16-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:04 PM
bstroud bstroud is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Pocket View Post
I know Allan, he's somewhere in Florida, last I knew. Bill, did he know who you were? I think he may have told me about that. He ran with Gary Pinkowski quite a bit, I know. He wasn't playing much when I met him, just drinking too much (hell, we all were!) He also told me about getting beat by Buddy Hall.
I don't know if he had any info about me or not.
He was beating everybody so I don't think he cared.
He was getting staked.

Bill S.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Miller's Avatar
Miller Miller is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East St. Louis Area
Posts: 3,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
When I asked Taylor who the best player he had ever seen or played?
He didn't even think about it.

Rags.

Bill S.

here's a good one:


Name:  rags fitzpatrick.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  34.9 KB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.