Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2004, 05:29 PM

bigdog. Try once a week to play a little 3 rail billiards. Get some old guy and play him a little first to 15 for the time. A lot of the older gentlemen at my pool hall just love the game and are just dying to give you an earful about how to play it. They arent looking to take your $10 since most of them are retired and dont need it. This will definitely help your one pocket game. You will start to see the 2 rail, 3 rail safes and kicks. The effect english has on more than one rail, etc. Its what made Efren so good. His best game is known to be Balkline. A Carom game.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Get more weight play cheaper pay for lessons however the first thing you need to do is learn the game of pocket billiards if you canít run at least 50 balls you are going to have a tough time learning one pocket itís the hardest game to learn ....
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettherack View Post
pay for lessons
An old thread but ongoing subject. I went directly to a 1p instructor. Playing "A" players for cash would only drain me with small table returns. Everyone learns differently... I enjoy a series of lessons. Works for me and I recommend them. Aside from that..watching good players is everything.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Verified Member

To play One Pocket respectfully you need to practice all disciplines of pocket billiards and become somewhat masterful, for One Pocket played correctly or masterfully requires this knowledge and execution. As Keith Thompson has posted: play straight pool, for it will advance your One Pocket game immensely.
Straight pool brings to the table the art of; combinations, kiss shots, tight positioning, opening up clusters, and the inherit sense of running balls.
Play Banks: a little practice goes a long ways. In yesteryear banks was essential for 9-ball was shoot-0ut, and you either had to know banks or be out of the money when it came to 9-ball. Players really had to bank, now days IMO players do not have this banking skill level developed for 9-ball is now more of a 3 cushion hit and safety game.
Play 9-ball if you want to get better at making shots, and moving whitey over distance.
Practice kicking: I believe Ronnie Allen stated that this is the most important discipline in One Pocket. If you can kick, your game will be up there! The game of One Pocket is so dependent upon this, I just can not stress this enough. It will require a fair amount of work, learning diamonds systems of full table and half table, and one rail kicks are even more important, for you not only have to hit the ball but you have to hit the part of the ball you want to hit. So practice this, it is really worth it.

I see you seem in practice to stop after you have turned the break around, I would suggest to always play the game all the way through. If this is to boring, I would suggest breaking the balls softly by hitting the head ball and letting the cb drift slightly to your scoring pocket side of the table, and then start running balls, and see how many balls you can make in one pocket. Do this for 5 racks. I always enjoyed this practice to get out of the doldrums.

Strong fundamentals is the basis for getting better, IMO! Good Luck! Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 05-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Verified Member

This is all good information but always remember that the stronger move in One Pocket is to run out.

Practice running balls in one pocket. Break up the balls loosely and run as many as you can. Keep at it. Learn to break up clusters as you go along. Set goals. Keep track of how many you have run. Keep trying to better your record.

When you can run 8 to 10 or more on a regular basis the rest of your game will come along.