Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2019, 12:11 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
Well, Steve chose to shoot the shot that Ben, Crabby, and a coupla other guys liked = thinning the 8 and rolling behind the 7...Steve hit it good but just a tad too soft and didn't quite get me all the way behind the 7, just barely letting me clearly see the 6 and 8 balls - it ended up like this ----->
Another reason I didnt like rolling off the 8 is the possibility of tying up the 6 8 which it looks like that happened.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:57 AM
Verified Member

Default Ghost vs. Steve 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
I am banking the 2 ball straight up and back down with no angle... I am following the cue ball to the first diamond on top right.

I want to add the 2 ball to the area of my pocket and protect the 8 and 6 behind the 7.

I am leaving him the 5 11 combo all day long.

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
Well, Steve chose to shoot the shot that Ben, Crabby, and a coupla other guys liked = thinning the 8 and rolling behind the 7...Steve hit it good but just a tad too soft and didn't quite get me all the way behind the 7, just barely letting me clearly see the 6 and 8 balls - it ended up like this ----->
The shot would be lovely if executed perfectly. But that's why I discarded that choice. It takes pinpoint accuracy and speed to get the CB snuggled in behind the 7. I'd probably need 5 or more tries to place it just right, so I just wouldn't be able to take the chance.

Good wwyd, Ghostie!

~Doc
Old 07-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
i was typing while you posted jimmy
i dont know if my thinking is correct on this but from my limited experience
if i dont deal with a trouble ball for me sooner rather than later usually i regret that decision because i only delay getting into more trouble
getting by the 7 ball doesnt deal with the 11
getting behind it he may have to move it for you and it is a tougher spot for him
jmho
icbw
i would appreciate your opinions
in general and in this specific example
ghost if you dont want to say too much now you can pm me your thoughts
thanks in advance
That's the way I view it also , I would rather take a chance now , than be forced to try to move it 10 shots from now , with a couple more balls that favor him.
I'm not talking about shots where I know I am going to improve my position, but shots like this , where you definately have a problem ball, and waiting on the opponent to make a mistake, is wishful thinking, unless you are playing a weak player.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Verified Member

Here is the way I see this situation. Sometimes you have to be patient and it would take more than one turn to get out of trouble but in this case you're not the one in trouble, he is. The table position favors you. You can use the position of the eleven to your advantage.
I believe that by taking the scratch up table as described by Jerry and myself he will have a hard time to keep pressure on you while protecting against the six and eight balls and being careful not to give up a bank on the eleven ball. That would be for another WWYD.

Larry's kick to the eleven ball needs a lot of precision that requires knowing the table and speed (especially if right English is needed). With that shot if you let him see the eight ball he will definitely turn your advantage of ball position away by banking the eight ball either to his hole or just to his side of the table. Either option will also remove the six away.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npd12814 View Post
What was your shot after being left there?
Npd...I'm usually too lazy to write up my thinking and my shot response, but since you asked (and Larry) I will answer you...

The first shot that stood out of course was to remove Steve's 6 & 8 balls and draw whitey back towards the 7 or sideways towards the cluster...but I rejected that because if my draw placement wasn't perfect I could easily let Steve see the 11, or the 5 to play safely off of, or bank cross-corner...

Then I thought I might remove Steve's 6 & 8 balls and instead of drawing my cueball I would roll the cueball forward to the foot rail instead, hiding the 11 with the 9ball and maybe with the 6 or 8 also...I liked that shot, but the angle was not quite perfect, so instead I chose a 3rd option...

I shot the 7 ball thinly into the left side of the 5 and stopped my cueball froze on the rail, approx. 1" to the left of where it was previously...the 5 went toward my long rail and the 7 ended up down at the foot rail a coupla inches to the left of the 11 ball - sorry, I didn't take a pic of this result.

- Ghost
Attached Images

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 07-10-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM

Thanks. Simple and effective. I usually over complicate it and leave some obvious shot.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Verified Member

Default Billy Jackets' Shot!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6mZtrZpRs7VqDxav6
Click on video to enlarge, I should of hit it just a little harder!

Here is Billy Jackets' Shot!

I am using an elevated cue to create a hop and a pause before the cb goes forward. The main reason being; I wanted the shot to be definitely recognized as legally stroked.
I may be able to stroke it differently and get more power but I would need a close up slow motion of the hit, to prove it was a legal hit.

As you can see the cb's initial direction is towards the rail (tangent line). This is caused by hitting the 9-ball 7/8 full. This is the foul criteria of a close proximity shot that has a slight cut; initially the cb will travel on the tangent line until the english takes over.

This is one of the questions I asked when I blew up on my Thread - CB in Motion/Interfered With. This is why I am saying the General Rules in todays leading Pool Organizations are in the Stone Age! They do not have any of these high tech billiard disciplines. This knowledge is highly important in judging the legality of shots.

But anyway, by using the 2 o'clock high it helps to get out of the double hit foul. Plus I want my tip to go upwards upon contact, and this takes timing.

Of course in the wwyd you need to make the 11 or you leave a bank, unless I got behind the stack. The cue ball ended up just short of the 2nd diamond and off the rail about 3 ball widths. So it really had little movement.

In DCC a player can foul stroke straight through the 9 and it is considered legal as long as the cue is elevated. Rules and standard of play deteriorating. The shot is to ugly to even consider video taping.

Thanks Billy Jackets, great shot! Whitey
Unlocking the secrets of pool.

This shot reminds me of the trick shot-The Passing Lane! Whereas the cb is behind the ob and stroked into it, but passes and beats the ob to the hole.

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 07-11-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Verified Member

WHITEY
thanks for your efforts
i appreciate the effort and learned something

larry
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Verified Member

Thanks for trying the shot Whitey.
I learned a long time ago that there is "ALWAYS" a shot, the problem is seeing it, and then spending the time to master it .