Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2019, 04:49 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
So Cincy, From this position what did you do? It appears to me from the first image that from where Dustin left you, you may have a playable carom to pocket the three ball while clearing the one ball from Dustin's pocket area.

Either way you should have an easy time clearing those two balls. That's why in my estimation moving the twelve ball was not the best decision.

Dustin, In hindsight, given a do over, would you play the same shot again if you could have executed it as you had planned?

Tom
Yes, well I didn't have to make the 3, since it was on the rail, I was able to shoot the 3 out and carom the 1 over towards my pocket. It could have turned out better but not bad:

Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
So Cincy, From this position what did you do? It appears to me from the first image that from where Dustin left you, you may have a playable carom to pocket the three ball while clearing the one ball from Dustin's pocket area.

Either way you should have an easy time clearing those two balls. That's why in my estimation moving the twelve ball was not the best decision.

Dustin, In hindsight, given a do over, would you play the same shot again if you could have executed it as you had planned?

Tom
tom tom,

i obviously butchered/didn't execute the shot properly but i do remember it and also my thinking at the time. looked em over for quite a while and my intent was to get whitey all the way up table and hopefully get some cover with the stripe coming back....

as far as playing the same shot again....BRLongArm has said distance is the cousin of safe - and that is a shot i should've been able to execute. however, in hindsight and from reading input here, think that - as always - i need to set up Da Barber's shot and get the feel for it.

(looking at the clip a couple times, and the way i stroked it....know why i didn't get the proper action on the cue ball...)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Verified Member

I hope Dustin bsnked the 12 and ran out
Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
tom tom,

i obviously butchered/didn't execute the shot properly but i do remember it and also my thinking at the time. looked em over for quite a while and my intent was to get whitey all the way up table and hopefully get some cover with the stripe coming back....

as far as playing the same shot again....BRLongArm has said distance is the cousin of safe - and that is a shot i should've been able to execute. however, in hindsight and from reading input here, think that - as always - i need to set up Da Barber's shot and get the feel for it.

(looking at the clip a couple times, and the way i stroked it....know why i didn't get the proper action on the cue ball...)
Dustin, Part of the reason you failed to get the cue ball moving well up table was due to the fact that it and the 12 were so close together. It's hard to give it a full stroke without risking fouling the ball.

Typically creating distance between cue ball and object ball is a good way to achieve a safety but in this case you should not be thinking about safeties. Setting traps and maintaining your strong positional advantage should be the order of the day. By moving the 12 out you exposed the 1 and 3 balls, and distance does not alter that fact unless you somehow manage to relocate the 12 to block the cue ball's path to those two balls. Well, you couldn't ask for a better location for the 12 than just where it is, so like Jerry, the kick back into those balls was the first thing I saw.

You may surprise yourself with how easy and safe this kick is. Even if you choose not to take the kick, finding a difficult location to leave the cue ball by way of taking a foul in order to protect the 1 and 3 would not have been a bad option.

Just my take on it buddy. Trying to help.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 PM
Verified Member

Default WWYD - c vs d - #1

I saw the kick but not sure Id go for it. I usually avoid intentionally fouling but I like that option here. If you set up that kick 10x how many times does it work out as a game winner vs giving up positional advantage?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Verified Member

The only way I would have touched that 12, is if someone had my kids hostage, and forced me too.
That 3rd ball in the corner makes it so much harder to clear the balls and not leave anything , 2 balls and doofus McGoon gets safe every time.
I would have shot what the table left me , 1/3 rd ball hit on the 2 and reposition it trying to block the 12 .
There are lots of trick shots and fantastical things you can do , but you need 1 ball , if I lost a game from this position I might never play again. , unless they just smashed the balls and a miracle happened and they made a ball and got out.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jackets View Post
The only way I would have touched that 12, is if someone had my kids hostage, and forced me too.
That 3rd ball in the corner makes it so much harder to clear the balls and not leave anything , 2 balls and doofus McGoon gets safe every time.
I would have shot what the table left me , 1/3 rd ball hit on the 2 and reposition it trying to block the 12 .
There are lots of trick shots and fantastical things you can do , but you need 1 ball , if I lost a game from this position I might never play again. , unless they just smashed the balls and a miracle happened and they made a ball and got out.
i can tell you this....hop in grease....on a very tough table....with balls you've never played with before....against a very good player....and, oh yeah, on a stream camera....then come talk some to miller

lol
Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Dustin, Part of the reason you failed to get the cue ball moving well up table was due to the fact that it and the 12 were so close together. It's hard to give it a full stroke without risking fouling the ball.

Typically creating distance between cue ball and object ball is a good way to achieve a safety but in this case you should not be thinking about safeties. Setting traps and maintaining your strong positional advantage should be the order of the day. By moving the 12 out you exposed the 1 and 3 balls, and distance does not alter that fact unless you somehow manage to relocate the 12 to block the cue ball's path to those two balls. Well, you couldn't ask for a better location for the 12 than just where it is, so like Jerry, the kick back into those balls was the first thing I saw.

You may surprise yourself with how easy and safe this kick is. Even if you choose not to take the kick, finding a difficult location to leave the cue ball by way of taking a foul in order to protect the 1 and 3 would not have been a bad option.

Just my take on it buddy. Trying to help.

Tom
tom tom,

point taken. appreciate you taking the time to explain. goes without saying i respect your (and jerry's) input immensely.

see you in Memphis my man.....

Old 07-24-2019, 12:16 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
i can tell you this....hop in grease....on a very tough table....with balls you've never played with before....against a very good player....and, oh yeah, on a stream camera....then come talk some to miller

lol
It was just my philosophy about the game , please do not confuse it with fact , or even sanity, as I have been accused of being kookoo before.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
I saw the kick but not sure I’d go for it. I usually avoid intentionally fouling but I like that option here. If you set up that kick 10x how many times does it work out as a game winner vs giving up positional advantage?
Mark, As an immediate game winner where I knock the 12 ball in the hole? Not often but the kick keeps the cue ball closely positioned to all three balls. This reduces the opponent's options for an effective reply. The more distance from an object ball the more options there are to hitting that ball. The converse is also true.

Mark, rather than me providing a number of game winning scenarios I suggest you set up the situation and try the kick 10 times for yourself. As a result of that kick how many times did you find a way to clear those balls safely? I would bet not many if any at all. And what of the alternative shots to the kick? They either involve removing the 12 ball or the taking of a foul, neither of which can be viewed as very appealing.

You see, the player who's pocket that is already has the game well in hand. The goal now should be to keep a strangle hold on that position and there are only two ways to do that. Kick or take a foul, and taking a foul now means having to make two ball verses one. that leaves only the kick as the best option in my book.
I'll be interested in your results.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Wirth; 07-24-2019 at 04:22 AM.