Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Verified Member

Default Simonis in the washer

Posted this on AZ but wanted to see if there was feedback here, too.

Getting in touch with my inner home-ec.

I saved some Simonis HR after a table refelt and thought i'd keep it in case some craft project came to mind (i'm thinking a nice slip for the missus ).
Question about cleaning it now that i have no intention of using it for a pool table anymore.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts with this?
I know wool is super durable, can i just follow normal wool washing instructions?
Cold water, gentle cycle, wool detergent, air dry?
Might try with just a couple of swatches first.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakynito View Post
Posted this on AZ but wanted to see if there was feedback here, too.

Getting in touch with my inner home-ec.

I saved some Simonis HR after a table refelt and thought i'd keep it in case some craft project came to mind (i'm thinking a nice slip for the missus ).
Question about cleaning it now that i have no intention of using it for a pool table anymore.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts with this?
I know wool is super durable, can i just follow normal wool washing instructions?
Cold water, gentle cycle, wool detergent, air dry?
Might try with just a couple of swatches first.
Yes, I've done it. Made some camping blankets for grandkids. No problems.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Verified Member

Yes, and yes. I recovered tables for years. Iíve used cloth for various projects, making pads/felting contact points for wood, we totes with making bracelets and even lining gun cases, pool cases etc.

As far as apparel goes, Iím not experienced. But what you are talking about is possible. Yes.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Verified Member

A few years ago I called my table mechanic to come to recover my table. When he got here he said that the cloth was still good but just needed some cleaning. I said cleaning?

To my amazement he started to wash the cloth while it was on the table. I mean a full blown wash with soap and water and some scrubbing. After the washing he rinsed it well with clean water and then we set up some fans to dry it up.

I used the table with that cloth for another few years and it played as well as any table.

Last edited by Frank Almanza; 08-05-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Verified Member

funny short story as this title made me think of it.

About 25 years or so ago, I had bought a gold crown for my basement in the house I lived in at the time and was excited to have a buddy come over and put on the new simonis cloth I bought for it.

He said before he put it on, he needed to wet it some (for stretching or something I dunno), but he ended up putting it in our big laundry room sink soaked it, then pulled it out, tried to dry it and install it, etc.

To this day people who know about it laugh saying "what in the world was he thinking..." -- it was probably the nappiest, slowest table you had ever played on lol...

I had heard of using a spray bottle to mist it in areas but to soak the entire thing in water was unheard of. Now looking at this thread, maybe not so uncommon...