Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Verified Member

Default thanks for the concern

Actually tried to get Doc to come over yesterday to play a little one pocket... some times its great to live close to the beach.... and sometimes its not... the wind is blowing about 50mph, everything is locked down at the house... high tide is in about an hour... the house is at 18 feet above sea level, they are predicting a 10 to 12 foot surge... I think like doc, this is just going to be a long slow storm that's not going to do much...
I have not lost power, got plenty of scotch, and have been practicing a certain two rail bank shot...
Thanks for the concern guys...

B
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Verified Member

Default Music

Just played some Johnny Cash on the Jukebox in the gameroom... first song was "how high's the water", got a good laugh with Ms. Andrea...

B
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Verified Member

Default Isaac is

A monster storm, some 400 miles wide, and it doesn't seem to be moving. My daughter in Thibodaux reported an hour ago that they were in the eye. That's in Lafourche Parish. Here in Baton Rouge, whatever we are gonna get has not started yet. Lots of small limbs on the ground, around my place, and gusty winds blowing, but I still have electric power.

Down in Plaquemines Parish, near the mouth of the river, a bunch of people are trapped in their homes by rising water flowing over an eight-foot levee, but not by rain water. The National Guard is going to get them out by boat. There's always some that won't clear out when they are told. The Mississippi River is flowing upstream in the face of the storm surge, nearly as far as New Orleans. The usual muddy water is receding and the clear water of the Gulf is pushing inland.

Anyway, that's how it is today. Not sure about tomorrow. I may get wet, but I don't expect to be blown away. We don't have earthquakes or blizzards here, but we do have the occasional hurricane. I wish this one would go on about its business, and take some rain to the drought areas. Be well, all.

Bill
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Verified Member

doc ,bille ,bill (vapros) and all the rest of you within isaacs reach
stay safe
hope all goes well
larry
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Verified Member

I hope you all made it safely through the storms. Let me know if you need to scoot up here to Auburn and we will make sure you have dry accommodations as well as a drink or two.

DeeMan
Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Verified Member

Default Thank you, Deeman,

for your very generous offer. However, I'm sure you understand that if I ever took refuge at Auburn I could never again hold my head up in Baton Rouge. I'm aware that some of the posters here don't really understand about football, but surely you do. It would take a bigger storm than this one.

One day (when the weather is better) I will stop in at your place, but I will be wearing a false nose and mustache. Thanks again -
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Verified Member

We did not get much of anything in the Tampa area, just a fast moving band every now & then, we have not had a good scare like this in a long time, we had the shutters down and put new batteries in all the flashlights, stocked up on water and gas for the grille, guess we will make all those hot dogs we were going to grille on Labor day weekend. I feel bad for the folks stuck in the path.

My gallery; http://www.onepocket.org/forum/album.php?albumid=3
Old 08-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Verified Member

Default ?

Well hell I can't fish today... it looks like it might rain a little...

B
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Verified Member

We were doing pretty well until about 2 P.M.on Thursday, when the power finally went out. We waited around for about an hour to see if it would start back up but it didn't. So we drove over to Miss Kitty's folk's place in Mobile. It gets old real quick without electric in the heat and humidity. I didn't feel like dragging out the generator and firing it up. We'd been without power for 18 days after Katrina, but of course this little pissant storm pales in comparison.

Just spoke with Col. Bille. We're about 5 miles west of his place. He said they never did lose power. I'm sure ours will be back on today. I'm about 9/10ths of a mile above the coast, Bille is about half that. He said the Gulf came up pretty close to his house, but didn't get him. He's got a helicopter parked in the front yard, so it's no big deal (kidding).

Bill must have gotten bopped pretty good up in Baton Rouge. I imagine Isaac rolled right over top of them. They wouldn't flood from the Gulf, but they surely got catastrophic rain and high winds...

Doc
Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Verified Member

Default Hurrican Isaac

has come and gone, and I'm still here. The wind blew out of the south and the rain slanted toward the north and then the eye came during the evening and the wind changed directions and the rain blew horizontally toward the south, and now it seems to be over. I've seen better hurricanes than this one. Better, but not wetter. Look out your window and imagine 25 inches of rain in just two days. We didn't get quite that much here in Baton Rouge, but we got a lot.

If you have followed the news, especially Fox News, you have seen footage of places that got more rain than they had ever seen before. Picture Katrina again, with people waiting on the roof for the Coast Guard to come with a boat. Just not as many as there were in New Orleans. Make a note to yourself not to ever build a house where you need a levee to keep out the water - or, in this case keeping it in. There's talk today of blowing a hole in a levee down the river, to let the water out.

In time they will pump out the water, or it will drain away or it will evaporate in the sun, leaving behind a million puddles which become mosquito ranches. We have mosquitos here that can stand flat-footed and diddle a big dog.

I hope Doc and Bille got off as easy as I did, and anyway, hurricane season will be over in November. Political season, also. Be well.