Surfer Rod Curry Passes Away

bstroud

Verified Member
We'll said SJD.

Surfer was from an era that has dissapeared and only remains alive because of the few remaining players that lived pools' Golden Age of Gambling.

Bill S.

Henry

Verified Member
Rod was something, he came thru the Nortwest every year and he came thru Medford Ore my home town hopping to catch Rosenbaum or Harold Prince...The first few times he came thru he was in a Black Linclon and later moved to a Mercades...I witnessed some of the experiences on his web site and everyone that I saw was reported accuratly...I saw the match with Rich Geiler in Salem a race to 15 for a big bet and what a match both players were great 8 ball plalyers with the big ball...Rod made the best shot I have ever seen in that match for the cash. I sent him an email a couple months ago and he described it perfectly..The email is on my other computer and If I can find it I will post it, I think you will find it a great read..RIP Surfer Rod a great pool hustler..

bondsman

I was in California during the time Rod was playing Keith. Because I am also from Virginia like Rod we started talking. The next night he calls me to ask if he would be safe going to Glendale to play at a Mexican bar. I told him "no problem". The next day he calls me very happy. He said that he had won but they robbed him I asked why he was so happy and he said they only took their money back and would not take his money.

Great guy RIP

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I was in California during the time Rod was playing Keith. Because I am also from Virginia like Rod we started talking. The next night he calls me to ask if he would be safe going to Glendale to play at a Mexican bar. I told him "no problem". The next day he calls me very happy. He said that he had won but they robbed him I asked why he was so happy and he said they only took their money back and would not take his money.

Great guy RIP

In the early 70s,3 fingered Ronnie Sypher, Sugar Shack Johnny, Moose The Filthy Beast, and myself played in a Mexican bar joint in the LA area. I wonder if any of forum guys remember this place? It was a small, extremely dark place; so dark, that Junkies could do their work unseen in the corner areas. It had one 3 1/2 x 7 Valley table and the place was located in the middle of a very dark, unlit field! Like in the fukin woods!

The Filthy Beast steered us to the spot, it was open 24 hours and had big action. It also featured the best players in the area. Ronnie played and beat Big Sergio, Nicaragua, Mike Massey, and Andarza. The only guy that didnt show up was Mexican Mario.

After we got big winners we did catch a little heat but Sugar Shack addressed that immediately and that subject disappeared from consideration.

Today's Beard would need a squad of Delta Force operators to play in a joint like that again.

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
In the early 70s,3 fingered Ronnie Sypher, Sugar Shack Johnny, Moose The Filthy Beast, and myself played in a Mexican bar joint in the LA area. I wonder if any of forum guys remember this place? It was a small, extremely dark place; so dark, that Junkies could do their work unseen in the corner areas. It had one 3 1/2 x 7 Valley table and the place was located in the middle of a very dark, unlit field! Like in the fukin woods!

The Filthy Beast steered us to the spot, it was open 24 hours and had big action. It also featured the best players in the area. Ronnie played and beat Big Sergio, Nicaragua, Mike Massey, and Andarza. The only guy that didnt show up was Mexican Mario.

After we got big winners we did catch a little heat but Sugar Shack addressed that immediately and that subject disappeared from consideration.

Today's Beard would need a squad of Delta Force operators to play in a joint like that again.

Beard

There were a few of those 24 hour joints around and you had to go there because the Mexican players were such good action. Maybe you were at Mary's La Boda or some name like that. She would run around with her apron on and carried a big butcher knife in it.

I used to go to some of those places after hours in neighborhoods that I would not drive by in my car now.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There were a few of those 24 hour joints around and you had to go there because the Mexican players were such good action. Maybe you were at Mary's La Boda or some name like that. She would run around with her apron on and carried a big butcher knife in it.

I used to go to some of those places after hours in neighborhoods that I would not drive by in my car now.

You guys are funny, not like a clown but how you describe things. I love listening to these things because I know (first hand) the truthfulness of the tales. .....Would not drive by in your car now.....:lol

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Beard

A squad of Delta Force operators. :lol

Bill Incardona

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
A squad of Delta Force operators. :lol

Bill Incardona

Was it off the 160 fwy? Low ceilings? Very smoky.? Those were the Hotel California years. Pink champagne on ice. If this was the place, I left her there, it was a one night stand, she left with the pusher man. Phew, got lucky.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Was it off the 160 fwy? Low ceilings? Very smoky.? Those were the Hotel California years. Pink champagne on ice. If this was the place, I left her there, it was a one night stand, she left with the pusher man. Phew, got lucky.

I dont remember one hwy from another. Smoky? Of course. Small joint, very dark. Entrance was on the right side of the bldg. Pool table to the left of the door as you walked in. It was right in front of the bar.

Beard

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
For the record

For the record

"Surfer Rod"

April 2, 1943December 24, 2013

Born in Front Royal, Virginia. Served in the U.S. Navy from 1960-1964, receiving honorable discharge. Traveled the United States as a professional pool player. Worked for the IRS, the Pentagon and retired from Hill Air Force Base as a civilian employee after ten years of service. Died peacefully in his Ogden, Utah home on Christmas Eve. Survived by his daughters Bobby, Amy and Shannon, his sisters Pat and Cindy and his brothers James and Wayne.Burial was held Monday, December 30th at Evergreen Memorial Park.

http://www.standard.net/stories/2014/01/01/rodney-allen-curry

A year late but I thought I'd add this for the biographical information.
He sounds like he was one helluva player.:cool: