be honest how many of you would shoot the "twister"here
he did and ran six :) and would have been out except he miscued:(
shannon ended up winning that game:)
bb2.jpg

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Are you talking about banking that 14(or whatever it is) that's next to the rail? Yeesh. I was thinking a safe off of the 2 balls down table or trying to combo a bank back towards the pocket. That's why they're champs.. jeez.. still can't imagine having such an amazing eye for awkward shots that it would be the starting shot for a run on that table..

Skin

Verified Member
Larry, it looks to me like the bank is a free shot here and I might have tried it. I would not have if Daulton had a ball by his hole. Too risky.

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
Larry, it looks to me like the bank is a free shot here and I might have tried it. I would not have if Daulton had a ball by his hole. Too risky.

Skin
skin with the 2 sitting by the corner pocket there is little rail space for margin for error.ie hitting the 2 ,scratch
plus typical of bugs he shot it firm not pocket speed so that if he missed he most likely would have left something offensive for shannon
thats what struck me when he shot it

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Skin said:

Skin

Skin my friend...trust me on this..:)...some free shots are only free, if you hit them dead perfect...with barely enough room to get the cueball safely through the gauntlet of balls, you, (and me) are not, supposed to be banking that ball in this spot, (unless that is, you play good enough to spot me 11-7 :))...

But this tough bank was a pet shot of Bugs...I saw him shoot it many, many, times over the last 40 years.

- Ghosty

PS, I think the only guys on this forum that should be allowed to shoot it, are John B. and Shannon...:)

Last edited:

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
lll said:
skin with the 2 sitting by the corner pocket there is little rail space for margin for error.ie hitting the 2 ,scratch
plus typical of bugs he shot it firm not pocket speed so that if he missed he most likely would have left something offensive for shannon
thats what struck me when he shot it

I was thinking the same thing.. that shot uses collision spin, so it has to be shot kinda firm. Also didn't like the proximity of the 2.. kinda different when you take an up-close look at a live table, though.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
lll said:
bugs is down in the score 0-4.
its his shot .
be honest how many of you would shoot the "twister"here
he did and ran six :) and would have been out except he miscued:(
shannon ended up winning that game:)
View attachment 2494

What other aggressive shot did he have except bank the 14 ... and that is not one for keeping whitey in check.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Larry, I believe that shot is also known as the Dixie Whistler. I have a match video in which Cole Dickson makes two of those - one on each side.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros said:
Larry, I believe that shot is also known as the Dixie Whistler. I have a match video in which Cole Dickson makes two of those - one on each side.
ive seen that dvd
he sure did fire those in like laser guided missles didnt he:)

cuesmith

Verified Member
Bugs was famous for that shot. He would also shoot it cross corner with the object ball just off the end rail about the middle of the rail. He made it against Gary a few times and we, in our amazement, just agreed that "you can't leave Bugs that shot". It's a hanger for him.

Sherm

Skin

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Skin my friend...trust me on this..:)...some free shots are only free, if you hit them dead perfect...with barely enough room to get the cueball safely through the gauntlet of balls, you, (and me) are not, supposed to be banking that ball in this spot, (unless that is, you play good enough to spot me 11-7 :))...

But this tough bank was a pet shot of Bugs...I saw him shoot it many, many, times over the last 40 years.

- Ghosty

PS, I think the only guys on this forum that should be allowed to shoot it, are John B. and Shannon...:)

I'm with you on that, Ghost. ;) If I thought I could get the leave, I would shoot it. The leave is what makes it "free".

By the way, I learned that shot from playing 9b and the many times I overcut the ob down the rail trying to get the cb to go straight across. Failure can be the best teacher. :D

Skin < will not give Ghost 11-7 after seeing CaliRed's DCC video. Ghost is too lucky; will take 15-5 and 3-to-1 on the money, though. LOL

bozman445

Verified Member
Bwtb

Bwtb

cuesmith said:
Bugs was famous for that shot. He would also shoot it cross corner with the object ball just off the end rail about the middle of the rail. He made it against Gary a few times and we, in our amazement, just agreed that "you can't leave Bugs that shot". It's a hanger for him.

Sherm

page 170, Banking With The Beard, both shots, "Cole Dickson's Heartbreaker's." also on one of his DVDs.

Bozman445

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
skin do you think you can out run the nuts with that spot:rolleyes:
LOL due noted by you

I don't know if can outrun that spot or not Larry. Ghost looks like he has a bank vault of luck on his side. But, for $20 a game, I would try...on my home turf :D :D :D

Skin

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I'm sure my make percentage is miles away from Bugs on that shot, but if I felt comfortable enough shooting that I knew I wouldn't hit the ball on the far end rail, the other balls are set up pretty damn good for that shot.

Especially down 4-0...its a long shot for sure for most players, but pulling it off and getting shape with a bunch of balls pointing at my hole makes it a lot more enticing.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
BUD GREEN said:
I'm sure my make percentage is miles away from Bugs on that shot, but if I felt comfortable enough shooting that I knew I wouldn't hit the ball on the far end rail, the other balls are set up pretty damn good for that shot.

Especially down 4-0...its a long shot for sure for most players, but pulling it off and getting shape with a bunch of balls pointing at my hole makes it a lot more enticing.

All I can Say I played Bugs more times then anybody in Life. I would say about 25 times all over. And Bugs is the only player I ever seen that would bet all the money on one game. No matter how high the bet was.

And I will tell you one more thing about Bugs in his prime He would shoot at the money. He wouldnt duck or play safe. And he was the most feared one pocket player in the country.

A lot off people seen Bugs play when he was over the hill. Not too many people seen Bugs play When he could realy play.

But If Bugs was on and played his top game. Nobody could have beat him.

And What I have Seen Todays players like Eferine Scott Cliff Gab Alex.

None off those people could have beat Taylor Bugs or Ronnie And Kelly is wright thier too.

And as far as banks goes Taylor and Bugs would have been on top all by themselves. Even though thier are some great bankers today.

BUt playing banks with Taylor or Bugs with a full rack. Its an out price. And they both had a little extra they call it heart.

And on a 5 by ten table I give the edge too the old time players.

And Taylor Bugs Ronnie and Kelly would have been a FAvorite in a round robin.

Against Eferine Cliff Scott and Alex. And the best all around players out off these players.

Would be Taylor Kelly and Eferine. And this is for the history books.

And the BCA in case they want to have a who were the better players yesterday or today.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghosty

I agree. It calls to mind the kind of shot that in certain situations looks like "the right shot", yet when you slightly miss-hit it, it turns into a disaster, and it sure looks like the wrong shot in a big hurry. I would need more margin for error between the 2-Ball and the far corner pocket.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
vapros said:
Ahhh, I see Cole came up again! I've posted this several times, and vapros just gave me another opportunity to:D

[youtube]HiBM6JLcmK4[/youtube]