OPH Derby Trip

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Just got back from Derby City. I cashed in the Bank Pool and One Pocket events but didnt play in the 9 ball event. The Diamond tables with new cloth had me totally lost. I hadn't played bank pool since 2009 and hadn't played on Diamonds in a year. My first loss in the bank pool was to Melissa Little. I broke dry the first game and she got up and ran 3 and I said to myself..here we go LMFAO she banks very well, she even made two 4 railers on me. Her and Mark Haddad were very cool and we hungout together all week. My second loss in the banks came to John Morra. He ran two 4's on me so I had no chance. My two losses in the one pocket came to Ike Runnels and Brandon Shuff. Ike played very well but I had chances to win but didnt capitalize. I learned a few moves from playing Ike. He has a pitter patter style not real aggressive. My loss to Brandon Shuff made me sick. I outplayed him every game and got a couple of sickening rolls at the wrong time. The bottom line is my banking let me down the whole tournament. I got to meet Steve Booth, Miller, and bernie Pettipiece. All of them are nice guys and i enjoyed talking to them. The ghost was playing a couple of tables down from me but never got a chance to meet him. I saw my friend Petie again and it was great talking to him again. Myself, Billy I, Freddy the Beard and Steve Lomako had a great time hanging out downstairs and laughing our asses off 3 or 4 nights, it was the highlight of my Derby this year. Didnt get much action. Had a few games set up but they got knocked. I played one $ 3000 set, I had the nuts and fumbled them. Played a 5 ahead in the action room. Got on the hill and let all the bozos standing around the tables aggravate me and get me out of rhythm. I should have won the money in 3 hours and instead it turned into a 11 and half hour grind and my weight got me tired and cost me the match. I hadn't played pool for most of the year and hadn't been in any real action since last derby and the rust caught up to me. What I noticed most this year was those MIA's players who didnt show... Efren Reyes (i found out the real reason from Parica but wont post it), John Schmidt, Rodney Morris, Tedder, Jessie Bowman, Lil John, Josh Brothers, Joey Barnes, Ricky Bird, Ricky Peppers, Lil D, Lil Sam, Jason Klatt, Hillbilly Charlie Bryant, Mka Immomen, etc. The overall attendance was really down this year probable because the rediculous amount the hotel wants for their rooms. Some people were paying $ 200 a night!! My personal opinion is the tournament is dying off but I hope not. What I also noticed is the only a couple of pros gambled this year. Dont know what to make of that.

JAM

Verified Member
Thanks for sharing your Derby experience. I live vicariously through the words of folks like you.

I haven't been to the Derby since it was at the Executive West. Each time we would get back home, it took me an entire week to recover from the week-long extravaganza.

I am saddened to learn that attendance may be down, but it could have to do with -- I hasten to say it for fear of causing discontent -- the Bonus Ball activities. Some players may have changed their lifestyle preparing for Bonus Ball in Vegas, and the lure of Derby may not have been strong enough for them to spend their money. I could be dead wrong on this, too. Just an opinion of mine.

I am aware of two regular attendees who couldn't make it for various reasons. Ronnie Allen is not well at this time, medically speaking, to make the trip to Derby, and Harry Platis is fine medically, but he's dealing with an issue at the homefront that is pulling at his heartstrings. I suffered a similar happening last year myself, so I know what he's going through. My heart goes out to him during this difficult time, and same for Ronnie.

That said, I know that Greg Sullivan puts his heart and soul in each and every event. There ain't nobody who wants the Derby to shine brightly more than him. It's not the money or profit that is important to Greg. He's a pool enthusiast to the nth degree. I admire him for this. He's one of the good guys in pool who does things selflessly to promote the sport. There aren't very many of them around these days. Most are in it for the profit, and that's okay too. I just wanted to mention how much Greg really does care about the Derby City Classic and what it can do for pool in general. :)

You have me curious about Efren. LilJon, last I heard, was working at a store in California and was kind of not involved in pool as heavily. I know he and Tedder were good friends at one time. I am surprised about Ricky Bird, though. He usually likes to be in the thick of it. Of course, in recent times, there seems to be quite a bit of action down South. Maybe he doesn't need to travel and the action comes to him. ;)

The best part of your trip report was hanging out with like-minded pool peeps like Billy, Freddy, and Steve L., sharing pool tales and laughing the night away. That's what I miss so much. You're so fortunate!

Thanks again for sharing your experience at this year's 2013 DCC. :cool:

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Just got back from Derby City. I cashed in the Bank Pool and One Pocket events but didnt play in the 9 ball event. The Diamond tables with new cloth had me totally lost. I hadn't played bank pool since 2009 and hadn't played on Diamonds in a year. My first loss in the bank pool was to Melissa Little. I broke dry the first game and she got up and ran 3 and I said to myself..here we go LMFAO she banks very well, she even made two 4 railers on me. Her and Mark Haddad were very cool and we hungout together all week. My second loss in the banks came to John Morra. He ran two 4's on me so I had no chance. My two losses in the one pocket came to Ike Runnels and Brandon Shuff. Ike played very well but I had chances to win but didnt capitalize. I learned a few moves from playing Ike. He has a pitter patter style not real aggressive. My loss to Brandon Shuff made me sick. I outplayed him every game and got a couple of sickening rolls at the wrong time. The bottom line is my banking let me down the whole tournament. I got to meet Steve Booth, Miller, and bernie Pettipiece. All of them are nice guys and i enjoyed talking to them. The ghost was playing a couple of tables down from me but never got a chance to meet him. I saw my friend Petie again and it was great talking to him again. Myself, Billy I, Freddy the Beard and Steve Lomako had a great time hanging out downstairs and laughing our asses off 3 or 4 nights, it was the highlight of my Derby this year. Didnt get much action. Had a few games set up but they got knocked. I played one $ 3000 set, I had the nuts and fumbled them. Played a 5 ahead in the action room. Got on the hill and let all the bozos standing around the tables aggravate me and get me out of rhythm. I should have won the money in 3 hours and instead it turned into a 11 and half hour grind and my weight got me tired and cost me the match. I hadn't played pool for most of the year and hadn't been in any real action since last derby and the rust caught up to me. What I noticed most this year was those MIA's players who didnt show... Efren Reyes (i found out the real reason from Parica but wont post it), John Schmidt, Rodney Morris, Tedder, Jessie Bowman, Lil John, Josh Brothers, Joey Barnes, Ricky Bird, Ricky Peppers, Lil D, Lil Sam, Jason Klatt, Hillbilly Charlie Bryant, Mka Immomen, etc. The overall attendance was really down this year probable because the rediculous amount the hotel wants for their rooms. Some people were paying $ 200 a night!! My personal opinion is the tournament is dying off but I hope not. What I also noticed is the only a couple of pros gambled this year. Dont know what to make of that.

Were you playing Abood?

I think I saw Brothers, and Jason Klatt was on the TV table in the 9-ball single elimination mini tourney exhibition (Grady rules maybe?). But the rest were MIA.

Freddie

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Well done Rob. It was nice to see you again. I only got to spend a few days there and I was trying to split time between watching and playing. This was my first visit to the Derby.

I think I flew over your house yesterday. I was in Ft. lauderdale for 30 min.:D

Maybe I can make it to Tunica, and we can hit some around and have dinner.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Nice post. Maybe this is more of a pm comment, but I personally would guess, for a player like you, the lack of money in the sport just gets you into a little funk sometimes. It really is tough in pool because the better you play, the worse things get sometimes. Anyway... thanks again for the info.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I got back last night too. I sweated some of OPH's matches and action. Yeah, he's a good guy, with a nice sense of humor too -- and does move well at the table like you might figure seeing his comments in the WWYD threads. The other thing I noticed watching is how he approaches his shot -- he looks them over pretty well (not excessively mind you, like some people do), but then once he has made his mind up, you can see it -- he goes right to the shot and there is no second guessing. I witnessed some of the bad rolls too -- one I remember was nice two or three rail draw position up around the back end of the table, but he unfortunately came up semi-hooked on a ball which prevented him taking advantage of the shot.

The Diamond tables, if you are not familiar with them, are extra touchy about *speed* especially when you bank in my experience -- and that takes some getting used to. The soft banks open up a lot more than I ever expect, and of course, you hit a lot of soft banks in One Pocket. At the same time they also shorten up real strong, and it seemed like all the players were taking advantage of the Brumback method of shortening up the angles to increase the pocket size.

Gary A is actually from up in my area so I've known him and played him for years. If you can keep up with him, you can play pretty sporty imo.

Good to meet you Rob and look forward to future sessions -- maybe Tunica!

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Mr. Melrose,

Sorry to hear you had a less than productive DCC...I can certainly sympathize with your discomfort with banking on the Diamonds...They led me to give up the game, well before I was ready..Used to pride myself on adapting to equipment..No more ! :(..(old dog, new tricks, etc.)

PS..If you run across any minor 'gig posts' from me, while you were gone, (aka; losing to a girl, etc.)..please just ignore them..For your sake, I hope you will not fire back any of your clever witicisms at me.."cause you'll probably MISS"..:sorry :p :p :p (LMFAO)

SuperDuck <---Always likes to help his friend's out, when they're **feelin' low..;)

**Recent photo of the Hacker, since he slimmed down, and became a male model..:cool:
View attachment 7705

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Good report, Hacker. Sorry you got knocked like that. No surprise. I hear you with the room rates. It's absurd. Makes you not want to go anywhere. I got beat by a girl one time in a set of nine ball. She was so cute and tiny too. Nikki Benish. sp?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Nice post, Rob. Very honest and sincere and very informative. I always stay at The Value Place in Clarksville. Itsonly $200 for a week. They have a full size refrigerator and a range top for cooking along with a microwave. The only downside is you have to drive 15 miles too and from.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Good report, Hacker. Sorry you got knocked like that. No surprise. I hear you with the room rates. It's absurd. Makes you not want to go anywhere. I got beat by a girl one time in a set of nine ball. She was so cute and tiny too. Nikki Benish. sp?

She could play some Jimmy. She has a different last name now (Married), but I saw her play and give an exhibition at my sons pool room in Spokane some years back and was impressed with her game.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

Rob, it was nice to meet you as well. You are a great player and nice guy (the gruff 1PH must be an alter-ego :eek:).

It was a first for me also. Had a good time with yourself and also meeting/speaking/sweating/hanging out with: Lou, Ghost, DWS, Steve, Bernie, JohnInNH, jtompilot, tsk7878. Sorry I somehow missed making acquaintances with petie and ace....

You along with Bernie and Lou had very strong showings. I watched your entire match against Ike. Lou drew tough facing Parica and Gentile back to back. jtompilot plays much better than his third round (i think it was the third) exit reflects - he played some very heady/sophisticated moves in a tough loss to a young guy from Michigan. Ghost ran across a tough grinder from Connecticut named Joey Liberti (sp?). Myself, DWS, tsk7878 were all first round casualties.....:eek:

Anybody know when Tunica is scheduled? :)

dustin miller

tsk7878

Verified Member
From
chicago,il
miller

miller

dustin, we shoulda bet our horse when we saw him warping them 6 days ago, dechaine looks strong.:cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What would you do from here? That's what Rob was thinking...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Yeah Rob, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk.

As you said, the prices for everything are too high, and everybody hates it and misses the old DCC.

I was also talking with guys about a lower turnout this year and all the MIA'S...besides the guys you mentioned..here's some other 'regulars' who weren't there this year: Justin 'Roadman' Cone, Stevie Moore, Patcheye, Gary Lutman, Whitey Walker, Earl, Scott Rabon, Jamie Farrel, Jeff Carter, Adam Wheeler, Beau Runnigen, Nick Vita, Mitch Ellerman and Socal's 'One Pocket Rich'...

And besides the total no-shows...a lot of guys I know of still came - but cut down their stay...guys that before used to stay for 7 days - only stayed for 4 days...other guys who used to come for 5 days - only came for 3 days.

- Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Had a good time myself with the Hacker and his friend from the old Congress bowl. We cut up many jackpots and stirred up old memories. The Hackman was so charming that I didnt try and put him into any traps. Not that he would have fell for them anyway.

Beard

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Yeah Rob, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk.

As you said, the prices for everything are too high, and everybody hates it and misses the old DCC.

I was also talking with guys about a lower turnout this year and all the MIA'S...besides the guys you mentioned..here's some other 'regulars' who weren't there this year: Justin 'Roadman' Cone, Stevie Moore, Patcheye, Gary Lutman, Whitey Walker, Earl, Scott Rabon, Jamie Farrel, Jeff Carter, Adam Wheeler, Beau Runnigen, Nick Vita, Mitch Ellerman and Socal's 'One Pocket Rich'...

And besides the total no-shows...a lot of guys I know of still came - but cut down their stay...guys that before used to stay for 7 days - only stayed for 4 days...other guys who used to come for 5 days - only came for 3 days.

- Ghost

I talked to Scott Rabon. It turns out he had a brain hemorrhage 4 or 5 months ago and almost died. His vision is really messed up right now. Next month the docotors are going to work on restoring his vision.. He told me he could only see 4 feet in front of him... after he said that i asked if he wanted to play some on the 5 X 10's lmfao we both had a god laugh at that one.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What would you do from here? That's what Rob was thinking...

I'm assuming that the pocket he's looking at is his opponents pocket. If so I would either draw off the 9ball and position the cue ball close to the 14ball straight in to my pocket, or shoot off the side of the 14ball to attain basically the same result. I like shooting off the 9ball better because you can practically freeze to the 14ball with that choice.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm assuming that the pocket he's looking at is his opponents pocket. If so I would either draw off the 9ball and position the cue ball close to the 14ball straight in to my pocket, or shoot off the side of the 14ball to attain basically the same result. I like shooting off the 9ball better because you can practically freeze to the 14ball with that choice.

Dr. Bill

The balls are by my pocket. I was about an inch from the 9 ball and 14 ball was frozen. We are both on 2 fouls. I banked the 9 ball down by my pocket but in making sure I didn't foul the 9 ball I drew the cueball back about 2 inches too much. Ike frammed the balls on his next shot and came out smelling like a rose.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Did you think about banking the 9ball and freezing on the 14ball? From there, there doesn't seem to be an escape.

Dr. Bill