Rule question

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Something came up this weekend that I have not had much experience with and wondered what the rules are or how you all typically play. It wasn't a tourney but an action match and my opponent was shooting.

He bridged over top of a ball and when he stroked the CB, the ball he was bridging over moved about 3 inches. The object ball he was shooting banked one rail, came back and ran into the ball that he moved with his bridge hand.

He immediately put a penny by his hole taking a foul. I asked where the ball was and did I have an option of putting it back. He was fine with it but someone on the sidelines said that since he was taking a foul and that the object ball collided with it, there is no option to put it back, you have to play it where it lies.

I was just wondering if that was really how you are supposed to play or if you are supposed to get the option of putting it back. I know if you accidentally move one before the shot or even during the shot and the balls don't collide, the other guy always has the option but when they do collide, I am not sure.

Thanks!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
someone on the sidelines said that since he was taking a foul and that the object ball collided with it, there is no option to put it back, you have to play it where it lies.

That is correct. If a foul is charged, play as it lies. If/when there's a question about whether it might have been intentional to gain an advantage, forfeiture of game or match for poor sportsmanship is a possibility if a referee /TD is present.

Example: Cornbread Red (or maybe it was UJ) once -- in protest to a similar move that he thought was intentional -- took his hand and shoved the entire stack toward his pocket, and said, "I owe one." :D

Example 2: You have to make an opponent's ball that is hung in his jaws, and you're willing to take a foul to do it, but you don't want to give up ball-in-hand in the kitchen, so you make the ball, stick him on the wrong side of the stack, and move two balls with your hand. IF what I think is an improper ruling is made, his ball comes up because it was made on a foul.

Our rules need to be clarified so that opponents' balls made on fouls only come up on fouls of pocket scratch or CB leaving table.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
my opponent was willing to let me move it back or leave it so no problem there. Was just wondering if that was the rule since the sweaters on the side seemed to know LOL

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I've always played like this.....1) if the ball was moved a few inches and didn't get touched by another ball, your opponent has the option to put it back. 2) If the ball does contact another ball then it stays where it lies.

The 1st one is no foul because only one ball was moved.
The 2nd one is a foul because the ball got into the path of another moving ball.

I'm assuming that we are playing cue ball fouls only. In a Pro tournament, they play all ball fouls and both scenarios are fouls.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He bridged over top of a ball and when he stroked the CB, the ball he was bridging over moved about 3 inches. The object ball he was shooting banked one rail, came back and ran into the ball that he moved with his bridge hand.

He immediately put a penny by his hole taking a foul. I asked where the ball was and did I have an option of putting it back. He was fine with it but someone on the sidelines said that since he was taking a foul and that the object ball collided with it, there is no option to put it back, you have to play it where it lies.

Your opponent was correct. His shot was a foul because the moved ball influenced the outcome of the shot, since the CB came back and hit the moved ball.

If he had simply bumped the ball with his hand prior to pulling the trigger, the ball could have been replaced at the discretion of the opponent without a foul being charged.

This is the rule as used at the DCC. The WPA has gone to full touch fouls now. So any contact of any ball by anything --outside of a forward stoke on the CB-- is a foul.

These of course are tournament rules. Guys play under wide variations in private games.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i have a collateral question
same idea
opponent shooting over a ball
moves it when shooting
ball goes in your pocket
cue ball or some other ball hits the ball he moved
does your ball get spotted in addition to a ball spotted for the foul??

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
i have a collateral question
same idea
opponent shooting over a ball
moves it when shooting
ball goes in your pocket
cue ball or some other ball hits the ball he moved
does your ball get spotted in addition to a ball spotted for the foul??

Rule 6.2-
"...any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in either a pocket scratch or with the cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent."

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Rule 6.2-
"...any balls pocketed in the opponent’s pocket on a stroke that ends in either a pocket scratch or with the cue ball off the table are not to be counted for the opponent, and are to be immediately spotted. However, on a stroke when any other foul is committed (such as a push shot, double-hit or illegal ball contact), any balls scored into the opponent’s pocket are to stay down and be counted for the opponent."

thanks dick
i also think that is fair
larry

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Rule 6.2-

Damn. I said it needed to be clarified, and it already has been.

Thanks, Dick.