Hopkins and Ledbetter

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I watched an old video today, and now I have a question. Have any other top-level players ever played with a stroke like Alan Hopkins? Amazing thing to watch. Come to think of it, Ben Ledbetter is the only bad player I ever saw with such a motion.

I used to use a shorter stroke than Hopkins, but not when I was playing pool. :heh

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
havent.....

havent.....

......seen anyone on any level with his punchy stroke.Did you sell the table?Was that you V?Cheers,Bob

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Allen is the only player I can think of with as compact a stroke. But the guy is a champion all the same. With as little as goes on with his stroke very little can go wrong. I'd bet he doesn't need as much practice to stay in stroke as top players with big loopy motions.

Tom

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Tom, I would agree that Alan probably needs less practice than others. The whole motion seems like about four inches. But he could play, no doubt about that - maybe he still can.

Bob, I still have the table. It dominates my only big room, sitting under its naugahyde cover. It's in my way, and I have too many aches and pains to use it.
I intended to spend some time on it, every day for the rest of my life, but it didn't work out. I hope that's not an omen . . .

backplaying

Verified Member
Jumping Joe Lawrence is the only one I can think of. Joe is from Canada and was a very good snooker player and could play rotation games also. Allen was the first player I witnessed beat the ghost with no ball in hand.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I am....

I am....

....sorry to hear as I also have similiar problems my friend.I cannot see the balls very good so I sold my GC and am hoping to go to 3-cushion again as theres so much more room for error.Big ball and all that.Anyway its good to hear from you and all our old age adjustments!Take care,Bob

scott1313

One of the top players in the Twin Cities (Bill Mulloy) had a very short punch stroke. It was amazing to see a guy play so good with that kind of stroke.