Best spot after 9-8?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
How good does he break?
How good are you in responding?
How many balls will he average running if your escape fails?
How much will the pressure of always having to respond to the break bother you?

I'm OK with giving up the break because all but number 2 favor me against anyone I'd be giving weight. :)

When you give ball(s) he always gets the advantage of them. Half of his breaks probably won't help him at all, and 10-20% of them will favor you.

(Yeah, I'm probably crazy to disagree with Freddie, but that's what I think, and remember I'm talking about playing guys weaker than me :eek: )

What about the question on.. how well does he get out of your break, that answer is very pertinent when giving up the break, don't you think?

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What about the question on.. how well does he get out of your break, that answer is very pertinent when giving up the break, don't you think?

Dr. Bill

Giving up the break when playing one pocket is very difficult, and one shouldn't be mislead with just how well the player giving up the break performs when faced with the response in answering the break, when in fact the strong part of the break is that it is most effective in breaking your opponent down. Yes I have seen too many players break down because they can't get out of the break. When you give up the break you take that advantage away from you self which is something I wouldn't like doing.

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Giving up the break when playing one pocket is very difficult, and one shouldn't be mislead with just how well the player giving up the break performs when faced with the response in answering the break, when in fact the strong part of the break is that it is most effective in breaking your opponent down. Yes I have seen too many players break down because they can't get out of the break. When you give up the break you take that advantage away from you self which is something I wouldn't like doing.

Dr. Bill

Agreed on both posts. :)
P.S. The longer you play, the stronger his break will be.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
As I understand it, Mitch has the guy stuck 3 Grand+. The guy is not a nit or a nut-hunter. He'd be crazy not to try to get an adjustment.

I don't think trying to insult/embarrass/anger him into playing is called for, and it's not Mitch's style anyway.

Well, he's not looking for an even game now.

So if Mitch wants to give up the best of it they'll probably play which means the guy actually may be looking for the nuts. :sorry

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Best spot after 9-8?

There's a saying in my area. "Everybody is looking for a day at the beach. No one is looking for a day in the coal mines"

keoneyo

Verified Member
If he insists on playing you 10/8 or you giving up the breaks. I would ask for odds on the money. He broke even with you playing 9/8 now he wants the nuts.
Asking for odds on the money to balance the play usually stops them in their tracks.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
What would you offer, Rod?

Unfortunately if he didn't like 9/8 8/7 you don't really have anywhere to go.
You might not win there, you'd know more about that than anyone.
Seems you need to put the ball in his court, and you can say no a couple of times.

I know you want to play and the guy is good action, but gambling goes on everyday. Try to not make a bad game because of the reasons above.

I'd offer him some silly games, take the break and play him 10/8 or 8/7 or both.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Mitch, you're getting some good advice and it's free, don't make a mistake and end up paying for it.:heh

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Best spot after 9-8?

Mitch, you're getting some good advice and it's free, don't make a mistake and end up paying for it.:heh

Dr. Bill

Well said, Dr. I will try to follow your prescription 😉

Unfortunately if he didn't like 9/8 8/7 you don't really have anywhere to go.
You might not win there, you'd know more about that than anyone.
Seems you need to put the ball in his court, and you can say no a couple of times.

I know you want to play and the guy is good action, but gambling goes on everyday. Try to not make a bad game because of the reasons above.

I'd offer him some silly games, take the break and play him 10/8 or 8/7 or both.

Thanks Rod. Damn I hope we get to play one day. Please consider going to the Derby this year!

If he insists on playing you 10/8 or you giving up the breaks. I would ask for odds on the money. He broke even with you playing 9/8 now he wants the nuts.

Asking for odds on the money to balance the play usually stops them in their tracks.

I like it. Will do. Thanks.

Well, he's not looking for an even game now.

So if Mitch wants to give up the best of it they'll probably play which means the guy actually may be looking for the nuts. :sorry

Yep. May be and I can't say I blame him heh.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I'm confused after all this discussion.

When I finally make my way up to Philly, do I get 8-7, 10-8, the breaks, or odds on the money from Mitch? I'm sure it's one of those, but I'm not certain which.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Agreed on both posts. :)
P.S. The longer you play, the stronger his break will be.

Yeah, his break figures to get better, but I may be leading myself to error because of the fact that I enjoy the challenge of getting out of the break, and it pumps me up when I do it well. Of course, I don't play for much, so it's only recreational money at stake for me. Mitch's situation -- and most others here -- is different.

Dr. Bill:

Your suggested additional question is a good one. Whatever edge the stronger player would have had on his break is going away, and I probably didn't take that into account as much as it should have been. Chances are, if I'm giving him (or her!) weight, the break response won't be too salty.

Thanks.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

When I finally make my way up to Philly, do I get 8-7, 10-8, the breaks, or odds on the money from Mitch? I'm sure it's one of those, but I'm not certain which.

I know exactly what you'll get: A detailed explanation of how bad Mitch plays. :D

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Best spot after 9-8?

Heh. Too late buddy. You never should have posted that wwyd response video. Complete with a smooth stroke (as opposed to my jerky embolism stroke) and perfect position. I'll take 10-7 😜

I know exactly what you'll get: A detailed explanation of how bad Mitch plays. :D

How'd I do John :) 😂

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Heh. Too late buddy. You never should have posted that wwyd response video. Complete with a smooth stroke (as opposed to my jerky embolism stroke) and perfect position. I'll take 10-7 😜

Ok, you caught me. That was take 14.

And I had to bring in a friend to shoot it for me because I kept miscuing. A few times I didn't miscue, but then I scratched. Most people would scratch in the corner, but with my stroke, I kept scratching in the side.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Best spot after 9-8?

And I had to bring in a friend to shoot it for me because I kept miscuing. A few times I didn't miscue, but then I scratched. Most people would scratch in the corner, but with my stroke, I kept scratching in the side.

OK good. We're back to me getting the breaks.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Well, you're on the right track but a picture is worth a 1000 words, right? So send him a video of your stroke and you're in like Flynn. :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

LMAO!

You're learning the Philadelphia matchup style. :D

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Heh. Too late buddy. You never should have posted that wwyd response video. Complete with a smooth stroke (as opposed to my jerky embolism stroke) and perfect position. I'll take 10-7 ��
��

This negotiation is looking less than promising. Who's gonna out bandit who?:eek:

Perhaps a compromise is in order.:) I know, Baltimore is right in the middle. What could possibly be better.:D:D