Diamond Pocket sizes

Jlincoln

Hello,

Just wanted to get everybody's opinions on pocket sizes on diamond tables. What size pockets do you prefer and why? I like 4 1/4... not too tight but not too big either!

Jesse

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Hello,

Just wanted to get everybody's opinions on pocket sizes on diamond tables. What size pockets do you prefer and why? I like 4 1/4... not too tight but not too big either!

Jesse

Jesse...I prefer anywhere between 4 1/4" - 4 1/2"...no smaller, or bigger, than that.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hello,

Jesse

Thats a great size. I've played on a few 3 7/8 and wow thats too tight.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I watched that short video, and that is how I measure pocket size too for all practical purposes.

Regarding shelf depth, I was taking photos of a Mike Dechaine vs Shayne Van Boening exhibition a month or so ago and happened to notice a 9-ball incredibly deep in the side pocket -- it appeared to me. So I snapped a pic.

Attachments

• EasternStates2015-6716.jpg
    EasternStates2015-6716.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i watched that short video, and that is how i measure pocket size too for all practical purposes.

Regarding shelf depth, i was taking photos of a mike dechaine vs shayne van boening exhibition a month or so ago and happened to notice a 9-ball incredibly deep in the side pocket -- it appeared to me. So i snapped a pic.

great pic steve......:)

beatle

Verified Member
two balls fit in the pocket all the way makes an acceptable table to me. when they are tight maybe its best for certain players playing weak people. but not good for pool.

a deep shelf makes balls rattle and hang. great for those that hit super pure. but those that dont wont play for money anymore.

pool isnt getting new players and maybe tight pockets have some input on that. a new player cant make a ball in big pockets. in tight ones he never does and just hangs them and finds the game boring and frustrating.

if he gets a money game he is brought always to the tight table and doesnt stand a chance.
with 4,1/2 or 4,3/4 pockets even bad players feel like they can make some balls
and want to play.

when i find a dumb b or c player that wants to take me to tight tables i like it and laugh. no way can he make enough balls to ever get lucky and string some games ahead.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
two balls fit in the pocket all the way makes an acceptable table to me. when they are tight maybe its best for certain players playing weak people. but not good for pool.

a deep shelf makes balls rattle and hang. great for those that hit super pure. but those that dont wont play for money anymore.

pool isnt getting new players and maybe tight pockets have some input on that. a new player cant make a ball in big pockets. in tight ones he never does and just hangs them and finds the game boring and frustrating.

if he gets a money game he is brought always to the tight table and doesnt stand a chance.
and want to play.

when i find a dumb b or c player that wants to take me to tight tables i like it and laugh. no way can he make enough balls to ever get lucky and string some games ahead.

I think most of your points are wrong.

In my travels around the country If I find a room that has both Diamonds and GC tables most are playing on the tighter Diamonds. I can't tell you how many times the C and D players will jump on the tightest tables the room has. These hacks can't make two balls in a row:rolleyes:

I agree if you bring a date the loose tables are better

onepockethacker

Verified Member

and want to play.

You made some real good points there..

have a nice day:)

koldcash

I always preferred tight pockets giving up a big spot playing 1 hole, but playing rotation giving up big spots, I look for loose pockets so I can package up. 4.25 with a deep shelf is tight enough imo

libertyclick

I don't know about the right size but it frustrates me on the 7 foot diamonds that sometimes the ball is so deep in the corner pocket that the right shot becomes superdrawing it and bending it before it touches the side rail instead of the natural, softer way of playing off the side of the object ball and using a little draw/side english to come back. Otherwise it might catch the tit and take a random angle.