New players

GoldCrown

Verified Member
All good stuff here. Thanks. I do want to hear from beginners. I want to know how their first year(s) are going.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
All good stuff here. Thanks. I do want to hear from beginners. I want to know how their first year(s) are going.

In my first couple of years I had lots of opportunities to play some people who didn't know the game either, and I managed to start thinking I knew a lot more than I really did. My game didn't really start to improve until I came here. Learning more about how to play inspired me to work harder on my ball-striking. Progress has been really slow, but it's better now than it was when I was 25, and I'm 127 now (more-or-less... I can't keep track.) :frus

GoldCrown

Verified Member
In my first couple of years I had lots of opportunities to play some people who didn't know the game either, and I managed to start thinking I knew a lot more than I really did. My game didn't really start to improve until I came here. Learning more about how to play inspired me to work harder on my ball-striking. Progress has been really slow, but it's better now than it was when I was 25, and I'm 127 now (more-or-less... I can't keep track.) :frus

Thanks LS. I appreciate your history. The guys Im currently playing with make me want to suck my tailpipe. But I have a feeling I'm going to amount to something. I smell blood.

Last edited:

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
It has probably been mentioned in other post, but learn to pattern your ball making to give yourself a chance to run as many balls as you can from your position on the table. While practicing I will throw al the balls on the table around the spot and see if I can make my 8. I know I didn't say all this right, but it will help. The other thing is if you are only going to get one ball and then have to play safe , my thought is just move another towards my hole and play a good safe to protect my pocket.---Smitty

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I guess I'm not exactly a new player, but I try to improve by tracking down John Brumback and letting him pound me into submission, lol. :frus

Despite his savagery, I always return playing stronger. Mostly due to my increased confidence. That might sound counter-intuitive, but I feel like if I can play MY GAME against someone of his caliber, then I find myself easily finding my comfort zone playing anyone on earth. From a mental perspective, that's a great thing.

Another benefit to playing a high level player like JB is that it FORCES me to try new approaches in order to thwart him. Man, defending against those banks can be tricky no doubt. It also drives home the importance of execution. Against JB and other players from the aether, if you make a mistake, event a seemingly "small" one, you pretty much lose. Thus, it forces you to tighten up the screws in your game.

Lastly, its just damn fun.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
It has probably been mentioned in other post, but learn to pattern your ball making to give yourself a chance to run as many balls as you can from your position on the table. While practicing I will throw al the balls on the table around the spot and see if I can make my 8. I know I didn't say all this right, but it will help. The other thing is if you are only going to get one ball and then have to play safe , my thought is just move another towards my hole and play a good safe to protect my pocket.---Smitty

Totally understand what you're saying.
Tom W. has been working with me. The plans are getting better...I'm working on executing. First things first...understanding what & why I'm about to execute....and doing so. My ball pocketing is inconsistent. Can miss an easy one or get in trouble fast...or just might run 6-8. I have plenty of time this Spring/Summer to work on my stroke, and mainly the cue ball. I'm going to devote most of my drill time to position....sending the cue where it belongs....and that's against the rail or in the mitt. I'm very impressed how well some people can put it where they want it.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Another benefit to playing a high level player like JB is that it FORCES me to try new approaches in order to thwart him. Man, defending against those banks can be tricky no doubt. It also drives home the importance of execution. Against JB and other players from the aether, if you make a mistake, event a seemingly "small" one, you pretty much lose. Thus, it forces you to tighten up the screws in your game.

Lastly, its just damn fun.
After a lesson with Tom Wirth we play a game. I feel like a parrot. Nice game Tom nice game Tom nice game Tom.....but if I have few good moves or get a small run going I'm thrilled. There is no such thing as losing when playing a high level player. The beauty of what they can do. The possibilities. They way they mastered the game. The encouragement to become a better player. It's fun alright....and good fun is hard to find.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Play the game, play the table, play your speed.

It doesn't matter who your opponent is, if he's a stranger and you do the things I've mentioned, you'll be able to tell where you are easily.

When you do stupid things worring about who your opponent is, you'll find it's harder to quit.

baby huey

Verified Member
Learn how to bank one pocket style. By that I mean learn how to use pocket speed when banking and if the bank is not made it presents itself laying in your pocket which will make the opponent think twice about his shot. The bank in one pocket is the most important single shot you'll ever learn.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I feel like if I can play MY GAME against someone of his caliber, then I find myself easily finding my comfort zone playing anyone on earth. From a mental perspective, that's a great thing.

That is REALLY good advice, and an insight I needed to see. It's really hard for me to avoid attempting miracles when I play a Monster. You've reminded me that I need to work harder on closing that gaping hole.

Thanks.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
People getting started. What do you do to improve. Improve meaning understanding what to do. Your stroke, speed, etc. How are you doing compared to 6months ago, 1year? I'm just curious and making conversation. I realize there is no substitute for playing stronger players. Are you at the same level? Have you bumped up somewhat. I'm happy where I'm at considering I have not played many experienced players but I will start this Spring/Summer. I have long way to go and not in hurry. 1P is never ending fun. I'll do the best I can and enjoy the journey for now.

Good one pocket players have one thing in common they can play all games well, unfortunately it takes a long time to learn these skills

14-1, 8 ball teaches you cue ball control and how to run balls, bank pool will teach you banking skills, rotation games can help with long shots that require position play, as well as how to play safe, kick shots, 3 cushion billiards will help with getting out of traps and safety play.

When you join leagues don't get stuck in one genre go from one to another, when your playing pool by yourself play 14-1 or 8 ball.

watch you tube or dvd's of the best players and pay attention to their shot selection under different circumstances.

good luck

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Good one pocket players have one thing in common they can play all games well, unfortunately it takes a long time to learn these skills

14-1, 8 ball teaches you cue ball control and how to run balls, bank pool will teach you banking skills, rotation games can help with long shots that require position play, as well as how to play safe, kick shots, 3 cushion billiards will help with getting out of traps and safety play.

When you join leagues don't get stuck in one genre go from one to another, when your playing pool by yourself play 14-1 or 8 ball.

watch you tube or dvd's of the best players and pay attention to their shot selection under different circumstances.

good luck

We're gonna miss you in Houston.

Sure hope you make it in November.

DickP

Verified Member
From
San Antonio, TX
Hey GC-
I'm a noob and play regularly with a couple guys who are primarily 9-ball players, guys who shoot so straight they just shoot at anything. It's made me a very defensive player; I find myself concentrating on moving and safety play, waiting for them to overreach.

Then I play true 1p players - players who can both outshoot AND outmove me, and it's just death by a thousand cuts. I find myself waiting and waiting for opportunities that simply never arise. Playing them really drives home the importance of keeping pressure on my pocket, even if that means being less risk-averse than I'd like to be. It's not enough to swat balls away from their pocket and hide whitey, I need to be pushing aggressively with every shot, and not waste my time at the table playing neutral, weak bunts. Because the only opportunities I'm ever going to get from these guys are the ones that I create myself.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Hey GC-
I'm a noob and play regularly with a couple guys who are primarily 9-ball players, guys who shoot so straight they just shoot at anything. It's made me a very defensive player; I find myself concentrating on moving and safety play, waiting for them to overreach.

Then I play true 1p players - players who can both outshoot AND outmove me, and it's just death by a thousand cuts. I find myself waiting and waiting for opportunities that simply never arise. Playing them really drives home the importance of keeping pressure on my pocket, even if that means being less risk-averse than I'd like to be. It's not enough to swat balls away from their pocket and hide whitey, I need to be pushing aggressively with every shot, and not waste my time at the table playing neutral, weak bunts. Because the only opportunities I'm ever going to get from these guys are the ones that I create myself.
Hi and welcome aboard. Sorry we're not neighbors. Would be fun to play some. Great post. Thanks.

Last edited: