Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM
CaliRed's Avatar
CaliRed CaliRed is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Heart of the Midwest
Posts: 1,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B
Damn Greg. Tell him how you really feel. You see this is the kind of shit (Cals Post) that you get in azb. As slow as I am, I knew the sequence of events and besides that=Fatboys Code- "If you don't know the shot, keep your mouth shut" Otherwise it can be problematic. In fact, that's understating it. That's like say that The Fuhrer and The Third Reich caused a few problems for Europe and the Jewish folks in the early 1940s...
I got nothing against Cal... it just bugs me a bit to always see people that have nothing to do with any of the players or any of the matchups, riding someone just because they don't like them for whatever reason. Yes, this is really popular over at azb.

I see that Cal was getting on John Brumback's case before too, so it's obvious he doesn't like John for whatever reason. So what you end up seeing, is people that don't like a player, go around and bash them every chance they can. Usually what happens is... those players never come around anymore on the forums.
Name:  cal.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  70.4 KB

I guess if someone wants to bash a player because the shoot to slow, or because they're a bad loser, or because they never play anyone tough... that's one thing.. but to rag on someone because they didn't play this person on their own dime... just seems a bit too personal. No one knows anybody else's situation, not everyone can come up with 10k to play someone with a outrageous spot that they have to out run the nuts on to win.

I just think the negotiations of who someone plays and how much they play for and whether they use their money or a backers... should be left up to the people involved in the game. The rest of us are just railbirds at that point and we're supposed to sit there and wait until a game's been established , then we can pipe in on who we think can win or if we want to sidebet.

Hopefully Cal can explain to John why he doesn't like him so John knows why he's getting potshots from a guy he doesn't even know.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM
NH Steve's Avatar
NH Steve NH Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRed
I got nothing against Cal... it just bugs me a bit to always see people that have nothing to do with any of the players or any of the matchups, riding someone just because they don't like them for whatever reason. Yes, this is really popular over at azb.

I see that Cal was getting on John Brumback's case before too, so it's obvious he doesn't like John for whatever reason. So what you end up seeing, is people that don't like a player, go around and bash them every chance they can. Usually what happens is... those players never come around anymore on the forums.
Attachment 3676

I guess if someone wants to bash a player because the shoot to slow, or because they're a bad loser, or because they never play anyone tough... that's one thing.. but to rag on someone because they didn't play this person on their own dime... just seems a bit too personal. No one knows anybody else's situation, not everyone can come up with 10k to play someone with a outrageous spot that they have to out run the nuts on to win.

I just think the negotiations of who someone plays and how much they play for and whether they use their money or a backers... should be left up to the people involved in the game. The rest of us are just railbirds at that point and we're supposed to sit there and wait until a game's been established , then we can pipe in on who we think can win or if we want to sidebet.

Hopefully Cal can explain to John why he doesn't like him so John knows why he's getting potshots from a guy he doesn't even know.
I know both Cal and John and they are both GREAT guys. Sometimes things don't come across the way they are intended on the internet -- or interpretations take off in unexpected directions with a life of their own. I believe that's already happened about three times in this one thread alone
__________________
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Cal Cal is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Posts: 266
Send a message via Yahoo to Cal
Default Tony "Banks" Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRed
first off, you need to give people some kind of clue who you're talking about. Your subject line that you wrote says Tony Coleman. So if you write Tony Coleman.. and then proceed to put in your 2 cents, we have to assume your're talking about Tony Coleman.

There is a quote button on the far right at the bottom of the post you might want to comment on. Find the post of whoever spoke, and then hit the quote button, so it includes who said what.. so when you talk, we know you're talking to them.

If it's a general reply, then you need to keep it general or name names.

I'm confused.

You can't be talking about John Brumback, because he made a nice score a week or so after the Derby. That would have been in the 1st week of Feb or so. The next proposed matchup between him and Dippy was around the middle of July. So making a nice score adn the next day can't play... surely can't be John, who's was 5 months apart on the time they DID play and the time they DIDN'T play.

And really... if we aren't trying to make a game with someone personally, or are in on the game in some fashion... should we be concerned on how someone bets or doesn't bet?

If you're involved in the negeiotions of the game.. by all means voice your opinion.. but if you're just like all the rest of us here.... I think there's a line there.
John's been playing 3 or 4 decades, he's been around the block more then once. As a man that has risen to be the best bank pool player in the world and almost won the banks at DCC for a unprecedented 3 times in a row, and won the Master of the table at the Derby... and most importantly.. IS A WORKING MAN. I think he's earned the right to do whatever he damn well pleases.

Let me say that again... A WORKING MAN - that rose to be the best in the world at banks. I guy that doesn't get to gamble with champions every night of the week or play champions in tourneys... He's just a WORKING man that practices by himself every now and then, out in the middle of nowhere.

My praise for working men that became top echelon players, is for all of those who did. Think of the edge the seasoned gambler that plays every day travelling all over, playing champions and mixing it up every day and night.. playing marathon matches. Then you got one guy, that's out on a farm somewhere, that has no high level people to play, doesn't hang out in pool halls, doesn't mix it up in tough matches because there's no one around... but still is able to play championship pool when needed.

Amazing to me anyways.
I cant believe that this was taken so out of context,my question wasn't directed at anyone person ot situation,but merely an observation and a question.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Cal Cal is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Posts: 266
Send a message via Yahoo to Cal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX
I believe that both Viffer, and John B. are grown men, and they can air their differences without any outside help. Especially from someone who does not have a clue, as to what really occured...In other words, IMO its none of your friggin' business...(or else, please explain why it is)

PS..If you were "in with" Viffer, please disregard this post..
Last explanation of this BS, My question didn't pertain to any individual or situation. The question is still why is it that some players play better on someone else dime than on their own. As to Viffer & John B. I could care less whatever their dispute may be ,as to my opinion to any situation or question "I have without question " EARNED my right to voice my opinion on any matter. I have walked the walk and have earned the right to talk the talk if I so choose to.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Cary's Avatar
Cary Cary is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bertram, Texas
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B
Damn Greg. Tell him how you really feel. You see this is the kind of shit (Cals Post) that you get in azb. As slow as I am, I knew the sequence of events and besides that=Fatboys Code- "If you don't know the shot, keep your mouth shut" Otherwise it can be problematic. In fact, that's understating it. That's like say that The Fuhrer and The Third Reich caused a few problems for Europe and the Jewish folks in the early 1940s...


Far Across The Deep Blue Waters
Lived An Old Germans Daughter
By The Bank Of The Old River Rhine
Where I Loved Her And Left Her
But I Can't Forget Her
Cause I Miss My Pretty Fraulein
Great song but you're showing our age.
__________________
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
John Brumback's Avatar
John Brumback John Brumback is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Someone explain this to us. You make a nice score & the next day you cant play because you dont have a stake horse, can you play with your own money ?????? or when you play with your own ,you cant play at the same level?????
Just wondering..."Can you explain" this to us as to who and what you are talking about? I'm just curious.If It's me..(John Brumback) why are you after me so bad? Man, I try to get along with everyone.I think you got sidetracked
here somehow.Not trying to be mean or a smartas- just wondering like I said.

If It's me (John B.) you were asking...I'm not really sure If I can play better
on my own $ or somebody elses $.I haven't played on my own hardly ever.For sure not big $.I'll addmit that I don't bet my own except In maybe a small tourny.I usually have people and friends who want to go In with me or just back me.The biggest and best thing that's happened to me In a long time was winning the master of the table at DCC cause that got me free entrys and free rooms for life as long as they keep having the DCC.And now I have Diamond Greg S.backing me In the bankpool ring game every year and I'm also a player rep for Diamond Billiard products.Thanks," John the truth Brumback"
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
fred bentivegna's Avatar
fred bentivegna fred bentivegna is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chicago illinois
Posts: 6,690
Default To answer your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Last explanation of this BS, My question didn't pertain to any individual or situation. The question is still why is it that some players play better on someone else dime than on their own. As to Viffer & John B. I could care less whatever their dispute may be ,as to my opinion to any situation or question "I have without question " EARNED my right to voice my opinion on any matter. I have walked the walk and have earned the right to talk the talk if I so choose to.
...the reality is, most players, myself included, play better on OP (other peoples). That is just a natural fact. Took me years to admit to it. The only exception I ever saw that played better on his own, was Artie. Not to say that he played badly on OP either. Now a lot of guys, again myself included, well maybe not a lot, can play good on their own $, but that wasnt the question.

Beard

At Johnston City Fats once said, "OP is stronger than the Atomic Bomb."
__________________
New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
www.bankingwiththebeard.com
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
John Brumback's Avatar
John Brumback John Brumback is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
I know both Cal and John and they are both GREAT guys. Sometimes things don't come across the way they are intended on the internet -- or interpretations take off in unexpected directions with a life of their own. I believe that's already happened about three times in this one thread alone
Boy,this has gone sideways a few times,aint It!!?? LOL Sorry to Tony Coleman
Where the heck did Tony go?? John B.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
SJDinPHX's Avatar
SJDinPHX SJDinPHX is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Last explanation of this BS, My question didn't pertain to any individual or situation. The question is still why is it that some players play better on someone else dime than on their own. As to Viffer & John B. I could care less whatever their dispute may be ,as to my opinion to any situation or question "I have without question " EARNED my right to voice my opinion on any matter. I have walked the walk and have earned the right to talk the talk if I so choose to.
Cal,

I am accepting Steve's evaluation, that you and John B. are both "great guy's", However, I am still not sure that anyone ever "earns the right" to intercede in two guys trying (or failing to) to match up. (unless of course they are involved $$$ wise)

I would also consider it a low blow, to insinuate that someone plays better on stake money than his own...That is usually a given, as I doubt there any many 'real' players on this forum who don't. I also doubt there are many more players, with more time in the tough action pit, than myself...And I feel that gives me right to express MY opinion.

You are certainly free to voice your opinion, as we all are. But if you re-read your posts, it certainly appears you have it in for John B...Opinions are one thing. Pointed questions involving ones gambling ability, (or lack thereof) are quite another...I think John explained his situation quite well, and bottom line, IMHO, you owe him an apology. (nice guy's do that...jes sayin'...)..

PS..No harm, no foul, no flame, I prefer getting along, to turning this place into another AZB ...

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 08-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
CaliRed's Avatar
CaliRed CaliRed is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Heart of the Midwest
Posts: 1,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I cant believe that this was taken so out of context,my question wasn't directed at anyone person ot situation,but merely an observation and a question.
Fair enough Cal.. If Steve says you're a great guy, then you must be. I trust his judge of character.

John and Dippy were going on about when they played, and it was mentioned that John made a nice score, it was mentioned that John couldn't play the match in July due to his stakehorse having family issues and it was mentioned that John's not to crazy about the game anymore, due to him having to have played perfect pool to beat Viffer at that spot and due to the fact that Viffer is playing better.

Then you say this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Someone explain this to us. You make a nice score & the next day you cant play because you dont have a stake horse, can you play with your own money ?????? or when you play with your own ,you cant play at the same level?????

Hopefully you can see why it appears that you're talking about John in a not to favorable light.

My comments were directed at the trend I've noticed since subscribing to the azb forums.. that there's 50 people that probably can't play a lick of pool, but yet they go around badmouthing any pros or any gamblers that post over there. It's funny in a way, but annoying as hell in another.

So I've tried to make sure I don't ever do that, and every once in a while I'll bust someone's chops over there to let them know what they're doing, isn't right.

I"m dropping the whole thing and chalking it up as a misunderstanding. Though there is some good info in the messages that followed yours, so that's a good thing.

Peace brother!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.