congrats to scott but i am disappointed no deceased player made it

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Having too many dilutes the significance of any Hall of Fame. Many of the old time players have been voted in over the years. Those that are not in at this point are either so little known there is not much we can do. Or they may have some warts to go along with their exemplary talent, and those issues are holding their vote down. Or maybe peer to peer, they were not quite at the dominant level of play, even though they were a top level player and a mentor to many -- they simply may not have had as much reach as a mentor than some of the other players who were inducted.

It's also not much of a draw to the HOF dinner to induct someone that has no family or close friends to accept, nor can we create much of a presentation, because we don't know enough about them. There is that side too -- or those two sides I could have said.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In my view, any hall of fame should be about recognizing the "best of the best" -- not just "the best". For our HOF that includes the criteria we have used from the beginning -- 1 Tournament record; 2 After hours record (or reputation) 3 Education, promotion and mentoring

There are players from the distant past often mentioned by oldtimers (many of the oldtimers I refer to here are gone themselves at this point unfortunately) that would be great to know more about and be able to recognize. But since we started in 2004, it is difficult to reach into the era especially before Johnston City, because One Pocket was basically not in the public record back then.

So early black players -- many of whom avoided tournaments (or were not allowed) even after 1961 -- and early white players that may have been very influential and dominant, we just don't know enough about them. It was the nature of the game of One Pocket back then.

I have heard names like Johnny Irish, Big Nose Roberts, Glen Womack, James Evans, but at this point we don't really know what their influence and significance was.

Then there are what I would call regional favorites who were known to be great within their region, fitting all three criteria, but they don't get quite enough national support. Camp probably gets that, as well as "Bananas", and "Patch Eye" and I am sure others I am not thinking of at the moment.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I have heard names like Johnny Irish, Big Nose Roberts, Glen Womack, James Evans, but at this point we don't really know what their influence and significance was.

Then there are what I would call regional favorites who were known to be great within their region, fitting all three criteria, but they don't get quite enough national support. Camp probably gets that, as well as "Bananas", and "Patch Eye" and I am sure others I am not thinking of at the moment.

steve
here is a compromise to consider
i do believe the hall of fame should pay homage to the "greats " that laid the foundation for the generations of players to come after them
that being said
why not include some players like those mentioned above but without all the fanfare.
maybe a "great players before the modern era of onepocket" kind of category
think of all the effort you have put in to interview the legends
to capture their memories so that it is preserved and not forgotten
the players they mentioned as great or best of the best i believe should also be remembered and not forgotten
jmho
your thoughts?

youngstown

Verified Member
congrats to scott but i am disappointed no deceased player made it

Another idea would be to have all the nominees present at the ceremony and only induct one. It makes the ceremony a little bigger and still pays homage to the nominees...

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I just talked to Danny D yesterday. He told me that Marcel Camp should be in any Hall of Fame. He told me he has a thousand stories about Camp but people dont care. I said there is a group that does. Then he proceeded to tell me some of the things that Camp and he did. It was hilarious as well as mesmerizing. We then went on to Mike Carella. Carella was close to Danny and he tutored him for a time.
Danny had 2 operations recently and he is resting recuperating to try to get himself healthy for the Derby. I am trying to get there to see him.
I wish he could tell you some of these stories himself.
I know that there are those that are critical of him but those criticizers havent even done a tenth of what the Buffalo Kid did in his life.
But as he says "they'll love me after Im gone".

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just talked to Danny D yesterday. He told me that Marcel Camp should be in any Hall of Fame. He told me he has a thousand stories about Camp but people dont care. I said there is a group that does. Then he proceeded to tell me some of the things that Camp and he did. It was hilarious as well as mesmerizing. We then went on to Mike Carella. Carella was close to Danny and he tutored him for a time.
Danny had 2 operations recently and he is resting recuperating to try to get himself healthy for the Derby. I am trying to get there to see him.
I wish he could tell you some of these stories himself.
I know that there are those that are critical of him but those criticizers havent even done a tenth of what the Buffalo Kid did in his life.
But as he says "they'll love me after Im gone".
Thank you -- I am a big Danny D fan for sure!

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Mike was a beast playing onepocket

Mike was a beast playing onepocket

Danny D. knows all the older players well and Marcel Camp is a player that Danny hustled with and knew well mostly because they were convenient to one another both living in the Miami area. I played Camp 9ball in Miami when I was 20 years old, at that time I played very good 9ball and happened to beat him but 9ball was never Camps best game. Camp was an excellent snooker player and an excellent one pocket player who had the respect from all his peers. Camp had a very dry wit and he was well liked by all who knew him, Danny will attest to that as well. Camp was a little older than players like Ronnie A., Jack Breit, Eddie Kelly, Ervolino, Diliberto, and all the players that I am familiar with but he was a gentleman gambler and an excellent player who was fun to watch at the table. He was a whiner, which was a big part of his personality that we all were entertained with. lol. Camp IMO should be in the Hall Of Fame.

I also believe Ervolino should be in the Hall as well based off of his playing ability his teaching, and his willingness to stay in action for over fifty straight years. Ervolino contrary to what some of said about his sportsmanship was an excellent one pocket player who would generously share his knowledge with aspiring one pocket players on all levels. He was a teacher of the game who was well respected in that area from his peers as well as a constant after hours player as well. John H. has a valid point with his reluctance to vote for Ervolino, I can't argue with him on that point but I still believe Ervolino should get in based off of all the other skills he brought to the table. I would like to see him get in one day.

I also would like to see a deceased player get in this year, I guess being as old as I am I have a little more respect and appreciation for the older players. JMO.

Dr. Bill

keoneyo

Verified Member
Thank you -- I am a big Danny D fan for sure!

I know you are. But it doesnt make sense that a guy like Marcel Camp doesnt get recognition. A lot of one pocket fans dont have an idea about some of the older players. Artie B was lucky he had a knowledgeable guy like The Beard to push for him. Many of the pros were undercover or regional. So we have to take it from the Pros who were there and experienced it from the first hand.
I told you Danny has thoughts about it and now so does Dr Bill. If the Beard was here Im sure he would concur.
As an organization we cannot just rely on popular vote. We have to rely on direct investigation from those with experience. Lets not be lazy. 50 years from now kids would be saying "Whose Efren?", and we have films and literature to show them. But its our duty to give recognition to those who mastered the game because there was no media to record it. But we have the word of Pros who can.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Danny D. knows all the older players well and Marcel Camp is a player that Danny hustled with and knew well mostly because they were convenient to one another both living in the Miami area. I played Camp 9ball in Miami when I was 20 years old, at that time I played very good 9ball and happened to beat him but 9ball was never Camps best game. Camp was an excellent snooker player and an excellent one pocket player who had the respect from all his peers. Camp had a very dry wit and he was well liked by all who knew him, Danny will attest to that as well. Camp was a little older than players like Ronnie A., Jack Breit, Eddie Kelly, Ervolino, Diliberto, and all the players that I am familiar with but he was a gentleman gambler and an excellent player who was fun to watch at the table. He was a whiner, which was a big part of his personality that we all were entertained with. lol. Camp IMO should be in the Hall Of Fame.

I also believe Ervolino should be in the Hall as well based off of his playing ability his teaching, and his willingness to stay in action for over fifty straight years. Ervolino contrary to what some of said about his sportsmanship was an excellent one pocket player who would generously share his knowledge with aspiring one pocket players on all levels. He was a teacher of the game who was well respected in that area from his peers as well as a constant after hours player as well. John H. has a valid point with his reluctance to vote for Ervolino, I can't argue with him on that point but I still believe Ervolino should get in based off of all the other skills he brought to the table. I would like to see him get in one day.

I also would like to see a deceased player get in this year, I guess being as old as I am I have a little more respect and appreciation for the older players. JMO.

Dr. Bill
You really should write that book. The love you have for the game is unsurpassed and your words express it so. I appreciate that.

When I talked with Danny I brought up Ervolino and he laughed so hard his stitches was hurting. He then brought up his list of the 5 Dastardly guys in pool list. I wont say if he put The Velvet Foghorn in there but some of our Hall of Famers are. I would love to hear you and Danny regale us with stories of the past of the greats. The HOF awards is an opportunity to do so.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I have a GREAT story about Johnny, Freddy and I in Vegas for the Stardust tournament in 71. I'll put it together later.

Too bad I didnt know you then. I was there. I saw Billy, Danny D, and Larry Liscotti there together one night. I cursed my parents for not being Italian. They looked so damn carefree and free wheeling.
I sat next to Hubert Cokes at the lunch counter at the Stardust. I felt I was sitting next to the King of Siam.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Too bad I didnt know you then. I was there. I saw Billy, Danny D, and Larry Liscotti there together one night. I cursed my parents for not being Italian. They looked so damn carefree and free wheeling.
I sat next to Hubert Cokes at the lunch counter at the Stardust. I felt I was sitting next to the King of Siam.

I also, I'm really disappointed we didn't get together at HOB when I was there in 2102 when I was in LA.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in a totally unrelated thread on azb
pt109 was relating this story
which mentions marcel camp
Star Michaud....a shoeshine boy who grew up to become a barbershop-poolhall owner in
Hull, Quebec....George Chenier said he was one of the best two money players he ever saw....
...Marcel Campe being the other one.

beatle

Verified Member
when camp was in miami hanging out at congress no one wanted to have action with him. plus he could beat all of them anyway.

JAM

Verified Member
I agree about the deceased players and/or players of days gone by to be remembered and inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame.

I only know of some by reading about them or hearing other pool players tell stories about playing them because when I was young and went on the road for action, I mainly stayed on the East Coast.

It is true about regional favorites, though. I always considered Michael "Geese" Gerace and Tom "Tom-Tom" Wirth as the best one pocket players in the Metroplitan D.C. Area. And they were.

Geese passed away, but Tom-Tom is still going strong and has even written a book about one pocket. Am I prejudice towards players of my locale? You betcha, but these guys were known for the one pocket prowess.

I think, subject to check, Tom-Tom won the first one-pocket tournament put on by Strawberry at the Capital City Classic in the 1990s decade.

Congratulations to Scott Frost for being inducted this year. He definitely deserves this honor.

From a personal perspective, I am so very grateful that Keith McCready was living and is able to enjoy this great honor of being inducted as a One Pocket Hall of Famer. It means a lot to him and me both. Thirty years from now, if Keith and I are in heaven, I am sure the players of that era will not know much about Keith McCready's action games and colorful personality, but thanks to him being a Hall of Famer, he will be remembered ad infinitum now. It is truly very special. Thank you, OnePocket.org.

So, yes, I want the deceased players to be remembered and inducted for their accomplishments, but don't forget the ones that are still alive that have contributed to the game of one pocket. Don't want until they're gone and then remember them because at that time, they may not get any votes because the new kids on the block won't know who they are.