My take on the match

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yes John, I was the person that was responsible in arranging the financial end of the match for The Ghost..

There has been a lot of criticism in regard to ..shot selection...speed of play....and decision making...however, what we are failing to realize is that this was a very unique match that carried a lot of pressure..on many fronts. Types of pressure that both players were not familiar with, and there is no greater pressure than dealing with the unknown, simply because we really don't know how to prepare for something that we're not familiar with, do we?

Both players know the game of one pocket well, imo The Ghost has a little better understanding of the game than John, however, John is a seasoned gambler who understands how to deal with "big game pressures" better than The Ghost. I'm really not trying to 'sugar coat" any of this, just like I don't "sugar coat" any thing I talk about in the WWYD threads. I played both John and The Ghost several times and my feel is that The Ghost moves better than John but John plays more solidly in terms of playing to his speed. I also believe that if they play again I would give the nod to the Ghost because I believe that the weakness in the Ghost's game will be lessened the next time they play because of the experience Bruce has picked up in the match. I also believe that the pressures that were present through the match affected The Ghost more and was reflected in the tempo that he played with. It's very common (in all sports) when playing "meaningful matches or games" to play more cautiously, sometimes to the point of being overly cautious, which I feel happened with The Ghost. Do I feel that it hurt the Ghost? Yes I do because I believe it took him away from his natural rhythm that we/he feels most comfortable playing with. Imo playing cautiously puts more pressure into the situation, and when we are overly cautious it puts even more pressure into the situation. Playing one pocket well is a learning process, which both John and The Ghost have learned and play well, however, winning/playing in big money matches is also a learning process which John is better prepared to deal with than Bruce but it could be a very different story if they play again.

I believe that both players will play better the next time they play (if they ever do) And I also suspect that the interest for their next match will be even greater than it was for this one because the rematch with all rivals is always very intriguing.

Don't forget Ghost...You're on make up.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Yes John, I was the person that was responsible in arranging the financial end of the match for The Ghost..

There has been a lot of criticism in regard to ..shot selection...speed of play....and decision making...however, what we are failing to realize is that this was a very unique match that carried a lot of pressure..on many fronts. Types of pressure that both players were not familiar with, and there is no greater pressure than dealing with the unknown, simply because we really don't know how to prepare for something that we're not familiar with, do we?

Both players know the game of one pocket well, imo The Ghost has a little better understanding of the game than John, however, John is a seasoned gambler who understands how to deal with "big game pressures" better than The Ghost. I'm really not trying to 'sugar coat" any of this, just like I don't "sugar coat" any thing I talk about in the WWYD threads. I played both John and The Ghost several times and my feel is that The Ghost moves better than John but John plays more solidly in terms of playing to his speed. I also believe that if they play again I would give the nod to the Ghost because I believe that the weakness in the Ghost's game will be lessened the next time they play because of the experience Bruce has picked up in the match. I also believe that the pressures that were present through the match affected The Ghost more and was reflected in the tempo that he played with. It's very common (in all sports) when playing "meaningful matches or games" to play more cautiously, sometimes to the point of being overly cautious, which I feel happened with The Ghost. Do I feel that it hurt the Ghost? Yes I do because I believe it took him away from his natural rhythm that we/he feels most comfortable playing with. Imo playing cautiously puts more pressure into the situation, and when we are overly cautious it puts even more pressure into the situation. Playing one pocket well is a learning process, which both John and The Ghost have learned and play well, however, winning/playing in big money matches is also a learning process which John is better prepared to deal with than Bruce but it could be a very different story if they play again.

I believe that both players will play better the next time they play (if they ever do) And I also suspect that the interest for their next match will be even greater than it was for this one because the rematch with all rivals is always very intriguing.

Dr. Bill

Very well said and I agree with most of it. As I mentioned before, I thought the Ghost held up well for most of the match considering the bet. I underestimated his game and the ability to mix it up for higher stakes. I also overestimated my game, playing in a new room on different equipment.

I honestly thought I had way the best of it. I would not swallow a $1,500 nut to come and play a 3k+ set if I wasn't pretty sure I had a good game.

For whatever reason, I do not feel I played my best one pocket, and still think I have the best of it and would love to try it again in a couple months, so get that financing going. :D I would go up to 5k on a return trip.

Several people have suggested we play out here. I know that is not an option, so another trip to Chicago is ok with me.

I am ready to jump into the Lions Den again, let me know where and when.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

no wonder !! the pressure was definitely on Ghosty !! good golly miss molly Dr Bill is watching this too, I know he is! should I take more time before each shot ?!?

:)

... after pushing his match ball into the side cushion

:eek: or :frus or :mad: or :) take your pick

are you still friends? :)

just kidding guys and girls. yes, I kid

thanks for the show sir. you know how to bring quality games together Dr Bill. very interesting rematch should be in the works ... pay market next time? it was totally entertaining

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You guys are the absolute best, for providing the rest of us the near palpable vicarious thrill of feeling like we nearly were right in the middle of this match. I think it was extra engaging for all of the rest of us because we "know" the players, because so much of the lead up conversation was shared here on the forum, and then the follow up conversation that has been shared, too. And the high quality live stream that Red Shoes provided brought us right into the room for the entirety of the match! And then to have it come down to the last ball, was unbelievable!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill, you are a difficult taskmaster !..Having been financially involved with JH, I would never have placed him in the awkward position of "Make-up" action, had HE lost !..:(..Don't you feel that places undue pressure on the Ghost to perform, knowing he cannot WIN, and may only be able to BREAK EVEN ?....Jes' sayin' ! :eek: ;) :p

PS..But, then again...that may be why your 'win/loss' record, far surpasses mine ! :cool:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
You guys are the absolute best, for providing the rest of us the near palpable vicarious thrill of feeling like we nearly were right in the middle of this match. I think it was extra engaging for all of the rest of us because we "know" the players, because so much of the lead up conversation was shared here on the forum, and then the follow up conversation that has been shared, too. And the high quality live stream that Red Shoes provided brought us right into the room for the entirety of the match! And then to have it come down to the last ball, was unbelievable!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I was wearing my lucky one pocket.org shirt the last day Steve, Thank You.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I believe that both players will play better the next time they play (if they ever do) And I also suspect that the interest for their next match will be n greater than it was for this one because the rematch with all rivals is always very intriguing.

Dr. Bill

Ghoast
Next time get a new stakehorse, and you won't have to worry about "being on make up." :D
Get one you don't like much, so you wont have to worry about losing. :)
You'll be able to loosen up and play your speed. :)
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghoast
Next time get a new stakehorse, and you won't have to worry about "being on make up." :D
Get one you don't like much, so you wont have to worry about losing. :)
You'll be able to loosen up and play your speed. :)
Rod.

Rod....that was my speed - I don't got no higher speed...:D

- Ghost

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dr. Bill, you are a difficult taskmaster !..Having been financially involved with JH, I would never have placed him in the awkward position of "Make-up" action, had HE lost !..:(..Don't you feel that places undue pressure on the Ghost to perform, knowing he cannot WIN, and may only be able to BREAK EVEN ?....Jes' sayin' ! :eek: ;) :p

PS..But, then again...that may be why your 'win/loss' record, far surpasses mine ! :cool:

Dick, you may just have a point there, you usually do.:heh However, the way I look at things are quite different than some..i'm not saying most because I exhibit just ..too much sense for sensible players/people to believe that. I believe in giving players /people a chance that I like, especially if it's for the good of multiple things I'm not saying what those things are, there's quite a few..we'll leave it at that. However, the next time I involve myself it's going to be strictly a business decision....cause....That's the way I roll. And also every chapter has a different meaning. Chapter 2 is going to be no different.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
if you take a piece of someones action its just a bet and he owes you nothing out of the deal except your winnings, and you pay your loss.

if you stake someone for just one play then there is no makeup but you only give him a smallish part of the winnings unless its a total lock.

if he is getting a big share like 40% or so then you make a deal where he plays many matches and has make up his losses and you guys split at the end after all is done.

players somehow think they are entitled to 50% just for playing a game where they are only a small favorite to win. those you cant deal with and let them bet their own money.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
if you take a piece of someones action its just a bet and he owes you nothing out of the deal except your winnings, and you pay your loss.

if you stake someone for just one play then there is no makeup but you only give him a smallish part of the winnings unless its a total lock.

if he is getting a big share like 40% or so then you make a deal where he plays many matches and has make up his losses and you guys split at the end after all is done.

players somehow think they are entitled to 50% just for playing a game where they are only a small favorite to win. those you cant deal with and let them bet their own money.

As reasonable as they are, I'm certain all players don't share your views beatle:D.

my aim.jpg

beatle

Verified Member
hey dennis, not many on this site share very many of my views. but they come from many years of gambling for high stakes all over the country and world also. they are fair as well.

ive put many in action and always have been more than fair as i give out according to their chances of winning. sometimes i just give money to gamblers i like and say play and just pay me back when you can. the world is a two way street.

my posts come out as matter of fact but i dont mean it that way its just the way i write.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There isn't anything written in stone that says what percentage a player is supposed to get in a staking situation. However, common sense should prevail and the people teaming should have an understanding of the chances of winning or losing in the match their playing. Everything that follows..to me..should be understood, providing we understand the situation the way it really is. Like I said...The next match (if there is one) my approach will be based off of purely a business decision.

Who knows maybe i'll take The Ghost as a partner in a partners game.

The Baby wants to team up with John, maybe i'll team up with The Ghost and we can play some partner one pocket in Chicago in the near future. Now that game would be interesting. And the "Italian Beef" is on me.

Dr. Bill

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
There isn't anything written in stone that says what percentage a player is supposed to get in a staking situation. However, common sense should prevail and the people teaming should have an understanding of the chances of winning or losing in the match their playing. Everything that follows..to me..should be understood, providing we understand the situation the way it really is. Like I said...The next match (if there is one) my approach will be based off of purely a business decision.

The Baby wants to team up with John, maybe i'll team up with The Ghost and we can play some partner one pocket in Chicago in the near future. Now that game would be interesting. And the "Italian Beef" is on me.

Dr. Bill

The Baby is just barking a little and could not leave CA. He was trying to get something going out here.

It might be a close game though, if you came west.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Dr. Bill

If you did this, would you wanna be able to coach, or would you turn your partner loose?

thebaby

Verified Member
Come West Young Man.......

Come West Young Man.......

Grandpa Frank Would Be A perfect partner for John against the The Ghost And Dr. Bill. And the perfect venue would be the grand opening of the new California Billiards The First Of The Year. Streamed Of Course. Come on out gentlemen , There's gold in these hills........

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If you did this, would you wanna be able to coach, or would you turn your partner loose?
I really don't like playing with coaching, it slows the game down. However, in this match up it would probably speed the game up.:lol No coaching.

Dr. Bill