Carbon fiber shafts

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Which carbon fiber shaft do you prefer

I tried a Predator Revo 12.9 -- I still have it, but I don't like the sound of it at all. And since I already play with a wood Predator low deflection shaft, to me the Revo doesn't even seem to have a significant degree of less deflection than their wood Predators, so what is the point?? If I was going from a standard wood shaft to a carbon fiber, yes that would be a big difference. But as I see it, not so much between those two kinds of Predator...

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
welcome to the site

this is a thread i started on azb

becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...:eek::eek::eek:
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw

Last edited:

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
welcome to the site

this is a thread i started on azb

becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...:eek::eek::eek:
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw

Thanks, i have only tried the shafts but never purchased. I was told to give it a week or two. Well, those same people with thd advice have converted back to maple. Question answered i guess

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Thanks, i have only tried the shafts but never purchased. I was told to give it a week or two. Well, those same people with thd advice have converted back to maple. Question answered i guess

I'm looking at stiffening my maple setup even more. I did notice Jayson Shaw, uses a Long cue, maybe 64'' or greater. Makes me wonder if more length/more wood is as effective as a CF shaft with a tight grain. I'm gonna cut a worn out shaft 5'' and use my 5'' back, use my extension and make the 29'' shaft length 2 pieces. More forward weight and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

youngstown

Verified Member
Carbon fiber shafts

IMO anytime you switch shafts with different deflection characteristics, you have to relearn how to manage deflection. The problem is that even if you have the time, it’s still difficult to change your old aiming process. It’s takes longer to convert these new adjustments into instincts. (Sometimes you’re thinking about several different aspects of the next shot and you forget to account for something. This happens in between when you’ve learned how the new shaft is different and when it becomes instinctive on how to use it.). I’ve been trying different shaft technologies lately and have had to learn different shaft behaviors. It’s very hard to fully commit and get to the same level of comfort. I have not tried the expensive carbon fiber shafts but I had a predator 314-2, and then started tinkering with custom stuff. Sometimes I wonder if we really know what’s good for ourselves, lol. A former #1 ranked player likes stiffer shafts with a heavy front end causing high deflection and a hard tip. A former old school road hustler like the whippiest shafts they can find. It’s just a preference. There are pros and cons to both. It’s not going to make your stroke any better. In fact, I think a standard maple shaft with a moderate deflection can counteract off center hits at certain speeds. If that speed is your go to speed then you can benefit from it. Conversely, if you are using a carbon fiber shaft and hit off center a lot, using softer speeds, it may be frustrating for you to manage spin.

baby huey

Verified Member
I don't like the carbon fiber for One Pocket. The extreme english needed for many shots in One Pocket are not available with the carbon fiber shafts. For all other games carbon fiber probably is the best shaft to use, IMO. The ball striking needed for close up shots makes little difference between the two shafts either way. Maybe I'm too old to change and that's probably the case but I'm sticking to what I learned to play with.

unoperro

Verified Member
I don't like the carbon fiber for One Pocket. The extreme english needed for many shots in One Pocket are not available with the carbon fiber shafts. For all other games carbon fiber probably is the best shaft to use, IMO. The ball striking needed for close up shots makes little difference between the two shafts either way. Maybe I'm too old to change and that's probably the case but I'm sticking to what I learned to play with.

This is exactly why I gave up on low deflection shafts-I felt like I couldnt "twist" bank with them. I played great with a ob1 but couldnt bank for chit;)

El Chapo

Verified Member
What I may try if I was choosing a shaft is put a chalk mark in the middle of the table, and run the cb one rail or straight to the spot and get a feel for the shaft that you have the most cb control with, and I bet that will be the best one for you.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I started using the Revo 12.4 only a month or two before last years MOT. I fell in love with the shaft fight away. It’s so smooth, predictable, and won’t warp.

As for squirt, it’s not any better than my 314-3. The Revo does have a little ting to it but it doesn’t bother me.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I have no idea what your talking about. Everyone I talk to says the Revo spins the ball more than a wood shaft. Seems that way to me also. Your results may vary

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I have no idea what your talking about. Everyone I talk to says the Revo spins the ball more than a wood shaft. Seems that way to me also. Your results may vary

I Played with a Revo for a month. I felt the shaft generated more RPM’s than my regular Mezz shaft.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

That's why I got a Revo. It spins/draws the ball really easy. You wouldn't believe how low on the ball you can hit without miscues...I'm interested in seeing what the Jacoby does. Its said to have a wood core... I'll have my Revo in Memphis if anybody cares to hit some balls with it to try one out.
The major draw back of course is the price.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I'm not a Revo fan but yes it spins the rock well. What it doesn't do on is push the ball out as wide before spinning back and thus people feels it spins more. If it does spin more I would suggest the delta is small.